It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sisyphus Americans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Every 2 years Americans go out to vote, according to exit polling the same Americans overwhelmingly vote the exact party line they did the last election. Now Americans are angry, to say the least, yet in 2012 we can easily expect people to go out and vote the same party line they did in 2010 and 2008. No surprise there, it is the typical voting habits of Americans. Like chain smokers they either acknowledge their problem but do not change or refuse to accept they have an addiction to something that hurts them.

For these Americans, the proud party patriots who will always show up to be loyal little soldiers, I am going to give you a new name. Sheeple has gotten a little old and is outdated, we need something new. So if you are one of those “I will always vote for ____ party” then you are now to be known as a Sisyphus American.

Source
Wikipedia – Source

As a punishment from the gods for his trickery, King Sisyphus was made to roll a huge boulder up a steep hill, but before he could reach the top of the hill, the rock would always roll back down, forcing him to begin again.[5] The maddening nature of the punishment was reserved for King Sisyphus due to his hubristic belief that his cleverness surpassed that of Zeus. As a result when King Sisyphus was condemned to his punishment, Zeus displayed his own cleverness by binding King Sisyphus to an eternity of frustration with the boulder rolling away from Sisyphus when he neared the top of the hill. Accordingly, pointless or interminable activities are often described as Sisyphean.

Those of you who keep voting the same way and encountering the same results you are like King Sisyphus, you just keep rolling that boulder up the hill and it will always roll back down.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

king sisphus kind like how obama is push the blame boulder up the hill only for it to fall back down.

that story fits everyone around thesedays i have to say i agree with your op nothing to argue how do we fix it tho?

teaparty try and they get demogaoged everyone else tries the same thing.

all i can think is americans must love punishment.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Good point

Did'nt someone say once " those who do not learn from the past are condemned to repeat it".

or something of that nature.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
We need a poll tax.

That'll make people stop voting.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
It's really too bad because when ever we try to move away from this 2 party trap we're in, the fourth wing of the political class goes into full on combat mode. Look at the Tea Party situation. The media in this country is trying to paint them as violent stupid racists hellbent on destroying the president because he's black. Please explain what is racist about wanting smaller government and to preserve this country's sovereignty?!?
Fact is, our politicians made promises with the check book that they can't keep. They bribed a new slave class into voting for them in exchange for hand outs. Well now we've hit the point where the debt can not be sustained and the politicos can't afford to keep bribing the hoards.
I'm pulling the handle for Ron Paul this time whether he on the repub ticket or indie, I'm done supporting the political class for ever. I'm not throwing my vote away either. A line needs to be drawn.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
We need a poll tax.

That'll make people stop voting.

Agreed. The fewer people we have voting in this country the better our overall political and economic health will be.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

The problem is; we only have two parties to choose from. Their ideologies are so far apart (at least in the minds of the masses) that most people are loathe to vote for the opposition party.

If we had more parties representing various hues of the political spectrum, people would feel more comfortable voting outside their regular party.

The best solution, IMO would be to get rid of parties altogether; force the candidates to run on their own merits, not brand name recognition. Candidates who don't feel obligated to a party will be more likely to follow their own conscience and freer to come up with original ideas to deal with the county's problems.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
reply to post by Misoir

The problem is; we only have two parties to choose from. Their ideologies are so far apart (at least in the minds of the masses) that most people are loathe to vote for the opposition party.

If we had more parties representing various hues of the political spectrum, people would feel more comfortable voting outside their regular party.

The best solution, IMO would be to get rid of parties altogether; force the candidates to run on their own merits, not brand name recognition. Candidates who don't feel obligated to a party will be more likely to follow their own conscience and freer to come up with original ideas to deal with the county's problems.

If we just change the election system it would do a lot of good:

I think that all candidates should have a spending limit so they do not waste so much on elections....I really think it is outrageous how much money they tend to spend on elections and instead, we allow Every candidate (including third parties) allotted TV advertisement times at low/no cost so everyone running has a completely equal fair chance. Outlaw mudslinging by candidates, and require a background and criminal history check on All candidates that all US citizens are required to view before they are elected.

If you think free ads wouldn't be possible: 1) We have 3 freaking Cspan channels. That would be enough but there's more! 2)Internet television, does it cost anything to get posted on youtube? Nope, there is Youtube, Ustream, Hulu, etc. 3) The govt is also coming out with a new .secure internet cloud, they could host things there or on one of their many .gov sites as well, which they're already paying for.... less money wasted. Also for doing it this way, we could enforce stipulations such as public background checks, banishing political mudslinging, etc.

edit on 5-8-2011 by 7slinger because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-8-2011 by 7slinger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
Every 2 years Americans go out to vote, according to exit polling the same Americans overwhelmingly vote the exact party line they did the last election. Now Americans are angry, to say the least, yet in 2012 we can easily expect people to go out and vote the same party line they did in 2010 and 2008. No surprise there, it is the typical voting habits of Americans. Like chain smokers they either acknowledge their problem but do not change or refuse to accept they have an addiction to something that hurts them.

For these Americans, the proud party patriots who will always show up to be loyal little soldiers, I am going to give you a new name. Sheeple has gotten a little old and is outdated, we need something new. So if you are one of those “I will always vote for ____ party” then you are now to be known as a Sisyphus American.

Those of you who keep voting the same way and encountering the same results you are like King Sisyphus, you just keep rolling that boulder up the hill and it will always roll back down.

Thats nice.

But I like Cultural Marxists.
Americans and Europeans have been brainwashed into Cultural Marxists Zombies.
edit on 5-8-2011 by RRokkyy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
It is interesting how some of the first people to hop up to agree with you are some of the most transparent partisans on this boards. I would bet my years salary that most people that already replied are going to vote for the same party next year that they did in 2010.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Undertough
It is interesting how some of the first people to hop up to agree with you are some of the most transparent partisans on this boards. I would bet my years salary that most people that already replied are going to vote for the same party next year that they did in 2010.

Sadly, you're probably right but, we'll feel dirty about it and will regret our votes the next day when the new group of corrupt A-holes take power.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
reply to post by Misoir

The reason we only have 2 major parties is that because the majority of peoples views are covered either by the democrats or the republicans which is also why they will typically vote party lines. Whether or not what they want to happen actually does once their candidate get's into office is not anything they can control the outcome of.

People who generally are for abortion rights and bigger government will vote democrat and visa versa.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

Source
Wikipedia – Source

As a punishment from the gods for his trickery, King Sisyphus was made to roll a huge boulder up a steep hill, but before he could reach the top of the hill, the rock would always roll back down, forcing him to begin again.[5] The maddening nature of the punishment was reserved for King Sisyphus due to his hubristic belief that his cleverness surpassed that of Zeus. As a result when King Sisyphus was condemned to his punishment, Zeus displayed his own cleverness by binding King Sisyphus to an eternity of frustration with the boulder rolling away from Sisyphus when he neared the top of the hill. Accordingly, pointless or interminable activities are often described as Sisyphean.

Very True.
ATS members should comprehend this, but it will just go over the head of the majority in the US.

"Who u callin' sisyphus? I ain't got no S.T.D."

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Undertough

I voted Democratic, Republican, and Independent in 2010.

Independent – US Senate
Republican – US House of Representatives
Democrat – Florida Governor
Democrat – Florida State Senate
Democrat – Florida State House
Republican – Florida Attorney General

Pretty much at the state level I support the Democrats because they are nothing like the national Democrats, they are actually quite conservative. On the national level I usually support the Republicans. So for me there is no party loyalty, I am a registered Republican but vote both parties and independent.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

What we need is a Sisyphus Party so they can always vote for. . . er. . . oops.

I do agree, Brother Misoir. We need to make more of a focus of what the candidate actually stands for and not the 30 second sound bytes tht fuel the political machine today.

top topics

join