It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

75-year-old pilot explains encounter with F-16s

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Actually DaddyBare linked the wrong plane.

He linked the Kitfox, and she was flying the Piper J-3 Cub.

Pretty sure it was the authentic cub as well because it makes a point to state she took best in show at the Osh-Kosh air show in Wisconsin.

"I thought, 'Oh, well, they're just looking at how cute the Cub is," she said Friday in an interview with The Associated Press. The blue-and-yellow plane had won a best-in-class award at the Oshkosh Air Show, a huge annual gathering in Wisconsin.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

So this 75 year old great grandmother flying an antique airplane was nearly blow out of the sky because Obama decided to make a visit to his old stomping grounds...

That old Broad must be one mean lady to scramble fighter jets after her... And what was this want-a-be "red Barron" flying that made the air force scramble

So the Air Force sees a radar blip of an unknown aircraft in what is supposed to be (temporarily) restricted airspace because the President of the United States is in the vicinity. They have no knowledge of who is flying the plane, why they are flying where they are not supposed to be, nor what the true intentions of this unknown pilot are. They know there is already a history if individual pilots crashing small planes into the White House and into a Federal building in Texas and now there's a lone pilot in airspace close to Air Force One.

Of course they are going to scramble jets to the area! They have a duty to protect the President, their Commander in Chief, no matter who that President is.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by DaMod

Your right she sould have had her radio on and checked the flight reports before leaving the ground...
Dont know about you but I would be pissing my pants if I was at the stick of an old 60 MPH fabric covered plane and a couple 300 MPH 16's come screaming up my tail...

Personally, I'd be pissing my pants if I was assigned to protect the president and a plane was flying in his related airspace, and I couldn't contact them by radio.

If you get hit by a 60mph airplane, it's going to hurt. The defense forces did exactly the right thing, and the woman did exactly the wrong thing.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkrunner
I am not a pilot, but I would ask those who are out of curiosity, are old planes like this required to be updated with modern radios, radar etc?

Just wondering. Had there been some bad weather and reduced visibility, drifting over a major airport like O'Hare could have been a disaster.

No, its not required to have a weather avoidance radar in a small plane like that. It is required for airliner type transport category aircraft though I believe.

And no it is not required to have radios, unless it flies into airspace or airports where that is required. But I imagine she did have radios on board.
edit on 5-8-2011 by firepilot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Modern Americana

Originally posted by NightGypsy
F-16's can scramble for an antique plane piloted by a 75-year-old woman, but they can't scramble for four hijacked American planes.....

Well, they had the entire Air Force fooled into believing they were just doing exercises that day. They had the entire Air Force out and about, leaving only 14 fighter jets to protect the mainland of the US on that day.There are recordings of FAA air-traffic controllers asking if the whole 9/11 thing was a drill (with a tone of confirmation as if they were briefed beforehand), and they were told yes.

Also, Dick Chaney took control of NORAD leading up to the hijackings, so there was nothing the military could do without the former VP saying so.

We're talking about the difference in protecting a few buildings and a US President's life so the resources involved are naturally different. No protections out of place today, Barry O is playing his lines according to script. That 9/11 morning really had a lot of similar workings going on as the day of the Kennedy assassination.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by NightGypsy
F-16's can scramble for an antique plane piloted by a 75-year-old woman, but they can't scramble for four hijacked American planes.....

Because the system that had armed interceptors on an alert status was discontinued in 1994 as part of the so called "Peace Dividend". It was the same order that had SAC stand down from ready alert nuclear armed bombers.

It takes a bit of time to retrieve weapons from storage, check them and put them on an aircraft. it also takes time to pull an aircraft from a hangar, brief the flight crew, fuel the aircraft and launch it.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I apologise, its the last time we will let my silly old granny fly her plane

I do love old people, but seriously some of them cant drive cars for S%@# , nore do they obey the road rules, and now it seems that some cant fly planes for S%$# , and cant follow air traffic rule's.
Some old people are stupid.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join