It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

75-year-old pilot explains encounter with F-16s

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

75-year-old pilot explains encounter with F-16s

news.ya hoo.com

Myrtle Rose was just taking a short flight over suburban Chicago when the 75-year-old aviation enthusiast looked out her cockpit window to see two F-16 fighter jets. She assumed the military pilots were just slowing down to get a closer look at her antique plane.

It wasn't until she got on the ground that friends and the police told her the attention was much more serious — for straying into restricted airspace during a visit by President Barack Obama.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
So this 75 year old great grandmother flying an antique airplane was nearly blow out of the sky because Obama decided to make a visit to his old stomping grounds...

That old Broad must be one mean lady to scramble fighter jets after her... And what was this want-a-be "red Barron" flying that made the air force scramble

The Kitfox Model 1 introduced the nostalgic "bump" cowl that has become a signature of the Kitfox. The Model 1 featured the 2 stroke Rotax 532 as the powerplant of choice.

Gross weight 850 lbs.
Average cruise speed 75 mph
Stall speed 30 mph
Average empty weight 426 lbs.
Average useful load 424 lbs.
Max speed (Vne) 100 mph
Cabin width 36 inches
Wing span 32 ft.
Length (wings folded) 21 ft.
Width (wings folded) 7 ft. 10 in.
Height 67 in.

news.ya hoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 5-8-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
That is what you get when you don't read the NOTAMS. I have no sympathy for the pillot.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
so a harmless grandmother flying a antique plane was a threat to obama and his plane fundraiser 1.

yep obama sure owns the whole us including the airspace over us.

man this is pathetic.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

You know the poster above you is right.. She should have read the NOTAMS before going up into the air...

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

So this 75 year old great grandmother flying an antique airplane was nearly blow out of the sky because Obama decided to make a visit to his old stomping grounds...

I don't care for Obama, so let's leave him out of it and she wasn't nearly blown out of the sky. The NOTAMS should have been posted at the airport, or you can get them when you file a flight plan. I hope that if she was flying within 30 miles of Chicago, she DID file a flight plan, because I believe that all of that area is TCA (Totaly Controlled Airspace). By the way, NOTAM is NOtice To Air Men.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Your right she sould have had her radio on and checked the flight reports before leaving the ground...
Dont know about you but I would be pissing my pants if I was at the stick of an old 60 MPH fabric covered plane and a couple 300 MPH 16's come screaming up my tail...

still you got to love her quote at the end

Rose, a Republican who said she did not vote for Obama, joked about mailing the president a note for his birthday.

"Oh, dear, maybe I should send him a belated birthday card and say, 'You should have stayed home and Michelle baked you a birthday cake.'"

edit on 5-8-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

+17 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
F-16's can scramble for an antique plane piloted by a 75-year-old woman, but they can't scramble for four hijacked American planes.....

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

Thats the very 1st thing that came to my mind...

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightGypsy
F-16's can scramble for an antique plane piloted by a 75-year-old woman, but they can't scramble for four hijacked American planes.....

Well, they had the entire Air Force fooled into believing they were just doing exercises that day. They had the entire Air Force out and about, leaving only 14 fighter jets to protect the mainland of the US on that day.There are recordings of FAA air-traffic controllers asking if the whole 9/11 thing was a drill (with a tone of confirmation as if they were briefed beforehand), and they were told yes.

Also, Dick Chaney took control of NORAD leading up to the hijackings, so there was nothing the military could do without the former VP saying so.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Modern Americana

Well, they had the entire Air Force fooled into believing they were just doing exercises that day. They had the entire Air Force out and about, leaving only 14 fighter jets to protect the mainland of the US on that day.There are recordings of FAA air-traffic controllers asking if the whole 9/11 thing was a drill (with a tone of confirmation as if they were briefed beforehand), and they were told yes. Also, Dick Chaney took control of NORAD leading up to the hijackings, so there was nothing the military could do without the former VP saying so.

Yes, 9/11......."The Day of a Million Strange Coincidences."

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

She may have trouble getting her pilot's license renewed after this little bit of excitement. A plane in restricted airspace is just that; it doesn't have a sign saying "antique craft piloted by antique pilot, all F-16's ignore this plane." She has to play by the same rules as every other pilot.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I am not a pilot, but I would ask those who are out of curiosity, are old planes like this required to be updated with modern radios, radar etc?

Just wondering. Had there been some bad weather and reduced visibility, drifting over a major airport like O'Hare could have been a disaster.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Welshy77

Same here.

The first thing that came into my mind. Are we conditioned or intuitive?

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
haha i wrote up a big reply to this, only i must have had a few swear words in it and i got a security warning lol

im not going to re type it. ill put it simple. officals suck.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

I am not a pilot, but I would ask those who are out of curiosity, are old planes like this required to be updated with modern radios, radar etc?

Just wondering. Had there been some bad weather and reduced visibility, drifting over a major airport like O'Hare could have been a disaster.

It's NOT an old plane, it's a replica of an old plane so yes, it's required to have all the mod cons.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

It wasn't until she landed her 1941 Piper J-3 Cub that friends and the police told her the attention was much more serious — for straying into restricted airspace during a visit by President Barack Obama.

News says its authentic...

Just saying.

Also if she had a radio in the plane don't you think maybe she would have been alerted in some way via radio to her flying illegally?

Not just finding out once she hit the ground?
edit on 5-8-2011 by jssaylor2007 because: Added some

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

You really should quit editorializing... No where in the article does it say she was almost "blown out of the sky".

Secondly, as a pilot she should know she is required to have her radio on, as well as ensuring all equipment is properly working. She could have checked with the tower for restricted airspace as well as posted NOTAR's.

This is her fault, not hte governments.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jssaylor2007

Yep, sorry I missed that..
I didn't know they had rotax engines in 1941.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Part of my training was getting quizzed by my instructor about weather and NOTAMs to make sure I called Flight Service for my briefing. Every pilot is obliged to do their due diligence which means this aviatrix is on the hook. They do the same kind of Flight Restriction for sporting events and such. I have to concur that not making the free call for a standard briefing ahead of a flight is negligent airmanship.

I have flown modern aircraft with full comms and avionics, as well as old rag and tube rigs with no radio, and I always call for my briefing.

Certain airspace is verboten if you dont have comms, to answer a previous question.
edit on 5-8-2011 by NightShift because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join