It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia Beach ponders approving homeless 'tent city'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
A new era of Hoovervilles

City staff are exploring authorizing a "tent city," a move that would make the Beach the first community in the state to sanction a homeless encampment - if the City Council approves the idea.

Mayor Will Sessoms, however, said he doesn't support it.

"I just don't see it happening," Sessoms said. "I could not recommend it because I do not want to encourage homelessness. I want to work to keep people from being homeless."

Out of curiosity, anyone think that these Obamaville residents will be able to finance their swanky new cribs with a collateralized debt obligation or some other wonderfully well thought out financial instrument?

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
your link is malformed.

Va. Beach ponders approving homeless 'tent city'

Found it via google, fixed link

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike
A new era of Hoovervilles

City staff are exploring authorizing a "tent city," a move that would make the Beach the first community in the state to sanction a homeless encampment - if the City Council approves the idea.

Mayor Will Sessoms, however, said he doesn't support it.

"I just don't see it happening," Sessoms said. "I could not recommend it because I do not want to encourage homelessness. I want to work to keep people from being homeless."

Out of curiosity, anyone think that these Obamaville residents will be able to finance their swanky new cribs with a collateralized debt obligation or some other wonderfully well thought out financial instrument?

I can understand the reasons why they would not want a tent city, however, we have to look at reality. There are no jobs or at the least they are few and far between. What Sessoms does not seem to realize is that most of the people that would go to the tent city do not want to be there either, but they do need a place. Go ahead, set it up and use it as the reason to keep improvements coming. Something everyone can see and point out the problems in this country and a constant reminder to what we need to work towards. But until things do indeed start turning for the better then we have to take the good with the bad, adapt and get through the issue.

But take it one step further. Any who wish to come to the tent city is required to do some work in the area to help keep the area clean. They will have certain mandatory community duties that must be completed, otherwise, they will be forced to leave.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I spent my teens and early twenties in Virginia Beach. I love that city!
They have always had a problem with homeless people living at the beach. We used to call them pier rats because they'd often sleep under the piers on the sand.

It's sad to hear that tent cities are needed. Especially since Virginia is one of the most expensive states to live in since they tax everything and their tax rates are higher than average.

From what I've heard from my friends who still live there and own homes, their property values have barely dropped at all. I also have a relative near Richmond whose home value has only fallen by a fraction. Edgar Cayce felt that Virginia Beach was the one safe place when natural disasters happened, but I guess it still isn't safe from economic disasters. What a shame.

EDIT to Add: I recently read in the Virginian Pilot that they don't expect the job market to be back to normal until 2015.

edit on 5-8-2011 by Afterthought because: Put cities instead of states. Whoops!

edit on 5-8-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Skada

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

To be fair, these tent cities have been around since the final years of the Bush administration. I'm sure there are more, but it wasn't just the current screw up that caused it. He just added to the misery. The recession didn't magically happen in 2008. It was already here.

We've been dealing with this and other types of homeless "cities" in TN since 2005 or earlier. A lot of kids are now living in old RVs on campgrounds. When the families run out of cash or wear out their welcome, they move on. School systems are having a hard time keeping track of the students.

I am glad that VA Beach is considering establishing this camp instead of pushing it out of sight like so many other cities. I think we all need to see it. I really do. It might drive the point home for those of us choosing to stick our heads in the sand and ignore the growing problem of kids without roofs over their heads. So many places, like Florida's ban on feeding the homeless for example, tend to push it out of the way. Thinking if they ignore it, the problem will go away.

When most people think of the homeless, they think of the single male on the street panhandling. That's not the case anymore. It's families now. Has been for longer than I care to remember. I was homeless as a child. It is really hard on kids. Maybe with the city helping the issue instead of pushing it away, it might be better for them. They might find more support if people can see them. I hope that's the case. I pray that's the case.

Things will get better only when we take the initiative to change things at our level. Obviously, our government isn't worth counting on.

top topics

join