It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you could bring one band back, what would it be?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I agree with many posted so far...two to add.

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Led Zeppelin

Gnus-N-Roses too...

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
hands down no question! SRV.
i will stand by that for a long time
second SUBLIME(danceing to the dub stylee)
pool shark is a song wher big brad come to terms with his illnes. the acoustic version is haunting

eta i even have srv in my avitar pic
edit on 9-8-2011 by jplaysguitar because: 40oz. to freedom

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Stephen King wrote a short horror story about 'Rock n Roll Heaven' called 'You Know They Got a Hell of a Band.'

I haven't read it in years and have found a download for it at...here (pdf).

It's got Joplin, Holly, Redding, Presley, Gaye, Moon and others in it and some of you might enjoy it.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Brad Nowell of Sublime....they were just hitting their stride. Most of the other artists named here already had quite a few years of success.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Explanation: I would save the plane from crashing and save THREE famous Musicians [+1pilot].

The Day the Music Died. [wiki]

Personal Disclosure: May they R.I.P.

P.S. OL muses about bands throughout all time and wonders about caveman music and mozart???

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Tough one but I would have to plump for this man:
Freddie Mercury (Queen)
This guy was simply the best - what a showman, what a voice IMHO best singer ever - truly phenomenal.
My favourite band ever - with some songs that just blow me away completely...

Days of our lives..

Don't stop me now...Best driving song ever

Here is their appearance at Live Aid in 1985...

edit on 17-8-2011 by facchino because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Without thinking I'd probably say artists like Hendrix, Cobain, Lennon etc. , but it kind of makes you think whether they would have really been as great if they wouldn't have died young. Jimi Hendrix probably would have faded into obscurity (with a dedicated cult following of musicians and stoners). I think Cobain would've ditched Courtney "Succubus" Love and the music business to be a painter or maybe play folk and blues. Lennon inevitably would have put out some records co-written by Yoko (50% terrible). Some food for thought.

Also, I wish Rage Against the Machine wouldn't have broken up around the time Bush got "elected". Just imagine the records the last decade of politics would have inspired.
edit on 18-8-2011 by squibo because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-8-2011 by squibo because: spelling

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
I can't believe I forgot this one....Queen.

If you are going to bring back Queen, you have got to bring back Freddie Mercury as well.

On a side note, there is one band that I would love to bring back... along with Pink Floyd.
Speaking of Paul Rodgers, let's bring back Bad Company.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Talk about an agonizing choice!

In order of preference:
================
Pink Floyd
The Doors
CCR

edit on 19-8-2011 by DeReK DaRkLy because: ...

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Let's not forget Santana, Jerry Garcia.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
to the poset who thinks hendrix would have been obscuer....
I respectfully disagree he was a virtuoso to say the least he made revolutionized blue rock guitar in so many ways . He used his guitar in musicly in ways that wher never intended pick scrapes . He strung his left handed guitar BACKWARDS! He usedvfeed back and distortion tone like noone had ever imagiend he truly was one of the best musician to ever live.
I have to agree whith ya on kurt colbain he was such a tormented soul . He would have been an asset to moder blues. Much like John Mayers is today.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Bob Marley and the Wailers

A singing prophet.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Guns N' Roses or Type O Negative.

ETA: Or Ministry. I cannot decide on one.
edit on 20-8-2011 by InvisibleAlbatross because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
The "Highwaymen" and the "Bee Gees" for sheer beautiful melody and singing harmonies.
Joy Division for their attempt to link the dead with the living via timbre and lyrics.
Of course Beethoven, as one could only imagine what he could do with even a Fairlight (old bedder technology now).
He would perhaps have blown up a moog with his power?
Ok Iam an old fuddy ..the Beatles.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I wish the Beatles had continued for another 5 or so years.

But Beatles, Nirvana, Three Dog night, Sublime is a good idea too.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jplaysguitar

I don't mean Jimi wasn't one of the best guitarists of all time, I just think he would have faded away. The 60's would've ended and psychedelic blues rock would've went out of fashion. Like I said he probably would have had a dedicated following of musicians, just the hype would die down and he would have been a has-been. The fact that he died at his peak basically ensured he will be remembered forever.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by squibo

See your point of view , but Jimi was a bluesman that could have been the best ever if the trends had tried to make him redundant/
He had a better technique than any other including Clapton and a better feel.
Its just he wanted to be free not just be the best blues player?

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by HenryTwoTimes
And for the record, it would be much better to see John Lennon come back as a solo artist than it would be to have to suffer through seeing him alongside that wannabe genius Paul McCartney.

suffer through seeing him alongside that wannabe genius Paul McCartney.

suffer through

wannabe genius

edit on 21-8-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-8-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
For me it's gotta be the Small Faces. They were not around long enough, and their repertoire is too short. Marriott never sounded as good as he did when he was in the SF.

But Plonk wasn't bad either...

edit on 8/21/2011 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
As much as I love the Beatles, no. They were meant to be in the 60's and wouldn't have worked in the 70's - just look at the crap McCartney did. UGH!

Queen I also love but I'm glad they haven't made new music without Freddie. Go play the old stuff, fine but don't try, especially after all these years, to do it now. If they had tried it then it might have been different but I still would have had reservations as Freddie was such a genius. It is hard to replace someone like him.

Sublime IMO always sucked donkey gonads so I don't care. I don't like ska or reggae in my rock.

There really aren't many bands in my collection that aren't around and need to be put back. Even Deep Purple is still chugging along, though I could dig a reunion of the Mark 3 lineup with Coverdale and Hughes, that would be cool but since Lord has retired, Ritchie is off doing renaissance ditties and Paicey is still in Deep Purple the odds are very long but what the hell, one can hope.

I can dig the Trans Siberian Orchestra but I really would like to see Savatage put back together and do something. TSO is ok but has run it's course and the metal scene nowadays is pretty lame we could use some of the better talent they have.

It would have also been nice to see The Kinks get a well deserved send off but they just kind of faded away. Hell of a band, saw them live and they were fantastic(despite what many might think of them they really did rock).

Oh, lest I forget, we really do need a Spinal Tap reunion, again. And Pink Floyd without Rick Wright, even if the others are there, ain't the same.

Cheers!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join