It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Native American NBC employee suing for harassment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Former Native American NBC employee suing for harassment

www.nypost.com

A Native American NBC studio technician was tormented about his ethnicity by cruel colleagues, who strung up an Indian doll on a noose and called it his "long-lost daughter," he claims in a lawsuit.

The worst indignity came when one co-worker pelted him with the doll and barked, "Here's your long-lost daughter!" the papers say.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/12538a99327e.jpg[/atsimg]
First a word about the story title...
Obviously this gentlemen is Still a Native American... he is a Former NBC employee...I swear, who taught these people English???

Part of his evadance is the photo shown.. he claims he was taunted with images of this little doll...

"Look, it's got your DNA, skin color and you both have the same hair. It's braided just like yours,"

Personally I don't know know what to think..
I too have endured racist comments all my life... most of us just laugh it off and go about our business... I guess he just got pushed too far... Well I guess there's your prof that NBC has it's own deep dark secrets ...and their not as warn and fuzzy as they would have us believe.

www.nypost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Reply to post by DaddyBare

Wow. Age means nothing when it comes to maturity, respect, tolerance, empathy. Hopefully lady justice doesn't need to readjust her blinders and check her bank balance

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
speaking as a quarter native myself i would have beat them with a war club made out of bison leg then scalped them then made their women my squaw . just kidding racism should not be tolerated period but look at the idiot network he worked for i mean hell they let 2 old cougars get sloshed on public tv every morning

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I spend alot of time with the Navajo Nation and believe me they are just as racist as any other group out there. Not sure why this guy feels the need to sue NBC unless he reported it and they refused to take any action.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
you would think a network as liberal as they are would take the high ground on moral issues like this...
But I guess their to busy pulling their adolescent pranks to think about rights and wrongs... so long as they keep their ratings up

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Like I said... most of us just laugh off comments like this...
But I get the feeling there was a lot more going on...
somehow they pushed him too far...

Maybe we'll hear to whole story after it goes to court?
edit on 5-8-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Well you have to hear the other side of the story before you can make a decision on if there really was something going on or not. Can't just take this guys word for it.

link   
Reply to post by kro32

Had a hunch it wouldn't be long til someone downplayed and otherwise tried to make this a case of "playing the race card". Humans period, are capable of heinous acts and altruistic acts.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by dl2one
Reply to post by kro32

Had a hunch it wouldn't be long til someone downplayed and otherwise tried to make this a case of "playing the race card". Humans period, are capable of heinous acts and altruistic acts.

I am not downplaying anything at all. What I am saying is that there are always two sides to every story and there have been many incidents of false claims made in the past.

Why you automatically assume somebody is telling the truth without looking at all the evidence and making an informed judgement is very hard to understand. I assume you think this man has no reason to lie?

If there was anything that happened that was against the rules or laws then of course he should be awarded compensation as this type of behavior should no longer be tolerated.

Unlike you I don't think we should just hand out checks whenever someone claims something happened to them.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

You made a broad statement on Navajos based on your experience to further discredit this man. *shrug* You do have a point yes there are two sides, my point was simply someone would soon come out to downplay and you did that sir in a suttle way but obvious way. I am a visible minority and I grew up in hickville as the only visible minority of that race, even though I am undeniably somewhat rednecked by my environment. But hey, in the end our back and forth means nothing I'm sure. Good day sir!

lol, just keep putting keys in my fingertips. give them blank checks because they cried, yea sure. Good day!
edit on 5-8-2011 by dl2one because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I had this boss 6 years ago who was a racist old man.. as a former marine I would sometimes have a 'flashback'

and go get a Hi and tight.. one time the old man said "you look like an indian with a mohawk".. I said "seriously, its a marine hair cut. You know, not everyone skated through life with a rich daddy, got college paid for, dodged the draft, and never chose to serve this country. Oh, and I happen to be of cherokee descent from the Brass Ankle clan."

the same afternoon the secretary told me about the last guy interviewed for job. Old Walter asked him "do you have a drinking problem? I know alot of you guys do"... which was verified by the whole office of 5 ladies...

2 weeks later I left.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Native Americans do suffer 'ethnic teasing' in the U.S....

I wouldn't call it racism these days, as Native American's are largely idolized by most Americans today....

My great grandfather was pure Ocmulgee Creek, married Cherokee.

He was almost 7 ft. tall and back in the forties, he saw real racism. He had huge whip lashes across his back from a run in with intolerance. The scars never left him.

My point is, he didn't sue. Native Americans are a very tolerant people by tradition. This must have gone on for far too long, or must run a lot deeper than a doll.

This guy must have been pushed awfully far.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

He's going to win a ton of dough. If what he says is correct and he took the matter to human resources and they told him to dismiss it, he has grounds for a lawsuit under workplace harassment law. NBC was made aware of what was clearly a hostile workplace and did nothing about it.

Its got nothing to do with the man's ethnic status. It has to do with the letter of the law which compels employeers to effectively address abusive situations. Not only will NBC be held liable, but those who did the abuse and the people in HR who ignored are civilly liable on a personal level as well.

Again the gents ethnicity is immaterial. I've dealt with as many hostile work issues that were between non-protected groups and inter-protected group (gay vs. gay or black vs. gay) as I have white vs. protected group.

There simply is zero tolerance for this kind of bs and while it can be taken too far, there should be zero tolerance.

top topics

join