It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What a middle school is having the kids sing every day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Ok I hope Im posting in the right forum, if not I sincerely apologize...

I live in Illinois, in a south suburb just 5 miles out of Chicago, every morning my Daughter’s public school has the children sing this song over the intercom, 6 students sing it and the entire school sings along.
(This is a school with grades from 2nd to 4th) I dont like the part that talks about a teenage mother, I think these kids are too young. And there is a large muslim population as well and they change it to Allah.
I asked for a copy of it, here are the lyrics…what do you guys think?

Don’t laugh at me

Im a little boy with glasses, the one they call a geek
a little girl who never smiles cuz I got braces on my teeth
and I know it feels to cry myself to sleep

Im that kid on every playground whose always chosen last
a single teenage monther trying to overcome her past
you dont have to be my friend but is it too much to ask:

(chorus)
Don’t laugh at me, dont call me names
dont get your pleasure from my pain
In God’s(allah’s, his our) eyes we’re all the same
sone day we’ll all have perfect wings
Don’t laugh at me.

Im the begger on the corner
you pass me on the street
and I woundt be out here begging if I had enough to eat
and dont think I dont notice that our eyes never meet

(same chorus, don’t laugh at me)

Im fat, Im thin
Im short, Im tall
Im deaf, Im blind
hey aren’t we all

(chorus)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
They should to sing thriller and do the zombie dance instead....this is an obvious attempt to create bleeding heart liberals out of kids.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Victor03
They should to sing thriller and do the zombie dance instead....this is an obvious attempt to create bleeding heart liberals out of kids.

lmao, that was funny!!

I'm not a liberal and I looked this song up, there are many different versions that leave out the teenage mother part, thats the part that bothers me, just wanted some info on what others think.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
That is a country song from Mark Willis. I think the message they are trying to get across( no bullying) and the message they are getting across is getting mixed.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
It's called don't laugh at me.

It's a good song actually it's trying to teach people to take off the blinders that the knuckle draggers wear. You know the people who refuse to see how society really is.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by tnhiker
That is a country song from Mark Willis. I think the message they are trying to get across( no bullying) and the message they are getting across is getting mixed.

Thats true, this school is absolutely anti bully, they dont play games here if a kid bully's another, and I appreciate that, I don't think they are trying to be political here, I think I will print out the other version for them to use, I really do not like the teenage mom part lol.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by hapablab
I think I will print out the other version for them to use, I really do not like the teenage mom part lol.

...heres what you do... after school, on weekends and holidays, you can condition your child to denigrate teenage moms all you want... simple - everybody happy now...

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by hapablab

I think teenage mothers are a part of society and we can't pretend they dont' exist by not aknowledging their existance.

Maybe having a song about the stigma of teenage single mums informs them that it is not an easy path.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I was bullied as a freshman until I kicked the senior who was beating on me in the balls and then choked him until he passed out. I was never bullied again. Those were the good olde days. Back then the Dean patted me on the back and said "good job". Nowadays I would be arrested and kicked out of school. Today they would rather make the kids hold hands and sing Kum-ba-Ya.

In my opinion there is very little teachers can do about this kind of problem. It has to start in the home. My dad always taught me that it was my duty to stand up for those who were weak. I got in lots of fights in school because I couldn't stand to someone getting picked on. I never got a suspension or expelled once I explained the situation to the Dean or principle.
Back then people had common sense.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I can't see how that song would be disturbing to anyone.. Well maybe the mention of god.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Sparky63

Well, we can look at it in the context that the school (or society) is teaching these kids to stand up for the little guy. So instead of one well taught, well informed person standing up we have dozens of them standing up and saying, 'No, this is unacceptable and we (the children) will not allow it.'

For every, "I was bullied until I fought back" story there's 50 more where it doesn't end that way, where it continues on through high school or where it ends in death or suicide.

Good on this school district for doing this.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Why is your kid enrolled in this school?

top topics

join