It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Polar bear kills British tourist in Norway

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Polar bear kills British tourist in Norway

www.bbc.co.uk

A polar bear has mauled a young British tourist to death and seriously injured four others in Norway, authorities in the country have confirmed.

The governor's office in Svalbard district confirmed all those involved were male and had been camping near the remote Von Postbreen glacier.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Another disturbing story coming from Norway. The story evokes very unpleasant imagery in the readers head.

Why is that when there is a terrible story in some place that another one always turns up a week or so later. Its like are attention is being brought back to the same place. In this case Norway.????

I know there is absolutley no comparison in the size of these of events. But it is a second horrific story from Norway. I always get the impression that news stories are guiding our attention very specifically. Its very much like some sort of strange manipulation.

Other things that might flash into a persons head when seeing this story is this

hdm.wikia.com...

An interesing couple of books I read sometime back.

So is our attention been drawn to Norway or to Pullmans Dark Materials?

www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I tend to think from the perspective of the individual who lives there.

So actually it would be a Polar Bear defends his home from 60 human invaders.

I mean really think about it. People cry about how the Polar Bears are dying all the time, and yet here we have 60 'tourists' tromping through the bears habitat, and then end up shooting the thing because they were dumb enough to invade it's territory in the first place.

I asked Google 'how many polar bears', and this is what I got.

Scientists can only provide informed estimates. In 2008, scientists estimated that there might be 20,000 to 25,000 of them.

PolarBearsInternational.org

In May 2008, U.S. Department of the Interior listed the polar bear as a Threatened Species under the Endangered Species Act. Canada and Russia list the polar bear as a species of concern.

At the 2009 meeting of the PBSG, the world's leading polar bear scientists reported that of the 19 subpopulations of polar bears, eight were declining, three were stable, and one was increasing. They lacked sufficient data to say what is happening to the remaining seven.

They list melting ice as a danger to the bears.

Maybe they need to add armed 'tourists' as well.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I understand that this Polar Bear is a big fan of American Right Wing media sites.

This is indeed sad. Any indication of this bear being a female with some cubs nearby?

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
From the OP report:

Earlier this year the office warned people about bear attacks after several were spotted near Longyearbyen. At the time it reminded people that under local laws, it is illegal to seek out and disturb the animals - with violations punishable by jail or fine.

So there were warnings issued (at least earlier in the year).

It is illegal to seek out and disturb the animals, yet somehow this works at the same time with having a lot of tourists around often. Hmmm.

I cannot find any accounts or stories of how this all went down. For all we know, they could have been trying to pet the thing. I doubt that but still, I cannot fathom how this would happen unprovoked.

Do bees just sting people for no reason? No they don't. They have a reason, they felt threatened and had to protect themselves or their territory.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

In a statement, Norwegian authorities said the bear had been killed.

news.sky.com...

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

"It was an organised group. They had a camp set up and this attack happened in the camp."

Sounds like they picked the wrong place to set up camp

news.sky.com...

edit on 5-8-2011 by JohnySeagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I bet they had food in their camp that wasn't properly contained.

reply to post by JohnySeagull

Humans are notorious for killing any animal that dares defend itself. We punish members of our own species for defending themselves, we're certainly not going to tolerate the rights of other animals to live without fear of our species.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

i kinda think the film 'jaws' is one reason for this attitude in the greater population.

stories dont change much. just the actors.

jaws kills load people. people spend a lot time hunting hinm down.blaming him for lots of deaths. finally catch up with him. kill him. dead

osama bin laden kills loads people. people spend lotta time hunting him down , blaming him for lots of deaths. finally catch up with hm. kill him dead.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Wild Polar Bears can kill, usually to eat, they seem to hate humans... But do have a friendly side few have noticed...

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull

Another disturbing story coming from Norway. The story evokes very unpleasant imagery in the readers head.

Why is that when there is a terrible story in some place that another one always turns up a week or so later. Its like are attention is being brought back to the same place. In this case Norway.????

I know there is absolutley no comparison in the size of these of events. But it is a second horrific story from Norway. I always get the impression that news stories are guiding our attention very specifically. Its very much like some sort of strange manipulation.

Other things that might flash into a persons head when seeing this story is this

hdm.wikia.com...

An interesing couple of books I read sometime back.

So is our attention been drawn to Norway or to Pullmans Dark Materials?

www.bbc.co.uk

They want to keep this in your mind.

Thats the plan.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by John_Rodger_Cornman

that seems to bepart of it all right. but I think there is more to it.

I had only just heard the song below. it had become really popular. then I heard about the killings on the island in Norway by Brevik. It was as if I had been given a soundtrack for the event that was unfolding on the island. I am seeing the news of this mass killings of kids and I have this song palying in my head.

is it just me??

(apparently a lot of people miss the meaning of this song when they hear it because its so light and fluffy. this video won't let that happen.)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
polar bear story has been updated here with details of those involved.

news.sky.com...

it says four others were seriously injured. hopefully they will be ok.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
The man who shot and killed the polar bear is being labelled a hero by British newspaper Mirror.

Am I the only one who finds this utterly disgusting? I only have sympathy for the polar bear.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by thetoker
The man who shot and killed the polar bear is being labelled a hero by British newspaper Mirror.

Am I the only one who finds this utterly disgusting? I only have sympathy for the polar bear.

Not surprised. Its expected. This is how people react. Its just a horrible mess.

One species taking revenge on another. Thats how it works on planet earth.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I agree. I watched a doco last night about the Earth and sad state of affairs for much of the Artic...Polar Bears are endangered and what pees me off is that in this instance the Polar Bear was killed after the attack.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
The bear was killed during the attack. The full story is in the article below. Seems a lot of things went wrong for them.

www.thesun.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

"A polar bear has mauled a young British tourist to death and seriously injured four others in Norway"

Well - I suppose that is bad for the families/ people involved BUT
they invaded the polar bear's home. The tourists should have taken precautions or shown more common sense.

Another point - with humans spreading everywhere and the ice receding - where the hell are the polar bears supposed to go. So I expect more people-bear encounters. Same story applies to all those other animals stuck in nature/ game reserves.

top topics

join