It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A solution to debt problems?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
OKay, I know this is a little outside the box, and probably not even feasible. But I have to ask the question anyway. To solve the governments debt problems,why can't the government start producing movies, or books, or things that people actually buy. Rather than tax us to death, and borrow money they can never pay back?

The latest Harry Potter just made 1 billion dollars..... Would be a nice chunk of debt paid.

Is the money not out there to be made? Taxing people and taking things away from them, charging more penalities and so on, really just makes the problems worse. So why can't the government find a new method of making money that would benefit everyone?

They could also strike deals with companies like apple and microsoft, that have billions and billions sitting there doing nothing. What is stopping them from doing this? It seems to me that all governmental debt problems could be solved very easily, without all the fuss and bother of bailouts and QE's and borrowing, or wars. Anyways I just thought I'd throw my two cents out there and see what others have to say about it.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
RUN!

Jamie.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Eh, I say every country legalizes and taxes all drugs and prostitution. Besides the fact they should be considered civil rights, studies show their usage rises during a recession which seems likely to occur at this point.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

It's funner when you get paid to tell people what to do and then act as a bank for those same people.

They aren't interested in manufacturing anything they intend to sell, other than a steaming pile.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
IMO there is no solution a government would take to sort the global debt problem, its just not how capitalism works.

Money goes from the poorer to the richer, the way the system is suppose to work is that the money is then reinvested in the system, but unfortunately the individuals that now hold the money don't want to let go for whatever reason they have. This creates a stagnant situation which will eventually lead to a global economic collapse, be it in 1year, 2, 5, 10 or 50 years, it one day WILL happen.

The ONLY solution if you want to keep the system going is do what the Vedic Kings did, once there treasure rooms became full they invested it back into society, they did this because they understood that the wealth would return to them. I cannot see any government implementing this idea though.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Its good solutions, but you my friend will never get along in politics.

Its not how the system works...

From prime ministers/presidents down we are all working for the banking cartel, and if they dont want the debt being paid off then it wont happen.

Its about keeping the money flow going up, and then when more is needed, it comes from the banks in the form of debt onto the high street, and all that profit goes back to the banks, and your taxes too. The country is then in continual debt never to be paid off.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Well lets see here. The current national debt is around 14.5 TRILLION dollars. And with an estimated national population of approximately 312 million people, every single US citizen currently owes $46,730 according to the National Debt Clock. However, all those who actually pay their taxes actually owe $130,290 each.

See the current national debt here:
www.usdebtclock.org...

However, every year the federal tax revenue is 2.2 Trillion dollars. Where does that money go? Why can that not be paid off toward the debt? You pay 1 trillion a year, you are done in 15 years. You pay 2 trillion a year, you are paid off in 7-8 years. Why can't that money be used on the national debt until the debt is gone?

Additionally, what about all those countries that owe the US money? At what point do they start making payments?

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by allenidaho
Well lets see here. The current national debt is around 14.5 TRILLION dollars. And with an estimated national population of approximately 312 million people, every single US citizen currently owes $46,730 according to the National Debt Clock. However, all those who actually pay their taxes actually owe $130,290 each.

See the current national debt here:
www.usdebtclock.org...

However, every year the federal tax revenue is 2.2 Trillion dollars. Where does that money go? Why can that not be paid off toward the debt? You pay 1 trillion a year, you are done in 15 years. You pay 2 trillion a year, you are paid off in 7-8 years. Why can't that money be used on the national debt until the debt is gone?

Additionally, what about all those countries that owe the US money? At what point do they start making payments?

Because the government (left or right, makes no difference) nearly always spends considerably more than that 2 trillion (obviously that figure varies with tax rules and economic activity). Empire is expensive, as is hoodwinking your populace into thinking everything is still ok.

If you spend more than your income for long enough you get in to point where the mountain of debt is so big that you would need decades of running a surplus to dent it.

new topics

top topics

join