It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where does the frustration and anger over God come from ?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl
It's the fault of the Athiests for rejecting Christ's gift of salvation. This hardens their hearts and sin enters, you can see this easily from the anger and bitterness in their posts.

Well this seems to prove the point of the OP's topic very nicely.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet
I just wish we could just "Agree to Disagree".

We could, and in fact we do. Every day. When we decide to keep our mouths shut despite somebody saying something stupid.

How often do you do that a day? More than once I'm sure.

But we need these threads to let it all hang out

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
As others have said, I'm not angry at those who argue the existence of god. In fact, even though I don't believe a god exists, I have no argument against god. It's religion I have a problem with. Religion is responsible for the death of millions, possibly billions throughout history. We still physically fight and murder each other over religion to this day.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

It comes from the lies and corruption of GODS words.
Peace can never be found within lies.
Great points in you're OP though.
Think of others before opening you're mouth.

LOTZA LUV

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Because it separates two completely different worldviews that encompass morality, philosophy, and perhaps even science and politics.

I think it's an important debate that should go on. To make people think hard about their beliefs, or lack-there-of.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   

It's the fault of the Athiests for rejecting Christ's gift of salvation. This hardens their hearts and sin enters, you can see this easily from the anger and bitterness in their posts.

So you're saying, that not accepting your mythology turn people into 'bad guys'.

Your claims of 'absolute truth(s)' are just that....claims, and no matter where in your alleged reasoning-chain we start, it's still circle-arguments, and your 'truth(s)', doctrines, rights and privileges are self-proclaimed.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by bogomil

So you're saying, that not accepting your mythology turn people into 'bad guys'.

Your claims of 'absolute truth(s)' are just that....claims, and no matter where in your alleged reasoning-chain we start, it's still circle-arguments, and your 'truth(s)', doctrines, rights and privileges are self-proclaimed.

That's the nature of religion, lovely - isn't it?

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExistentialNightmare

That's the nature of religion, lovely - isn't it?

Not as a contradiction with you, but rather to (once more) emphasize it:

The subjective faith-adherence of any religion etc, is a perfectly legitimate private/personal position for any adult person (or groups of consenting adults). It's also important to remember, that such is protected in contemporary constitutions, with the usual balance between individual freedom and social obligations.

However many missioning theists have serious problems about understanding the difference between the rather simple concepts 'subjective' and 'objective'. Something which constantly is reflected in pro-theist posts, where these two concepts are hopelessly confused and used in often bizarre ways.

That this sometimes creates 'frustration and anger' isn't so strange. Even football hooligans with their tribal 'colour-warfare' know better than to turn their aggressions into convoluted pseudo-philosophy.
edit on 6-8-2011 by bogomil because: addition of 'private/personal'

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

It's not a gift if you have to do things to acquire and maintain the gift. Likewise, what about the Christians who post angry and bitter posts? One could say it's the fault of the Christians with your logic, or lack-there-of.

I don't see Atheists posting stuff this angry and bitter.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

However many missioning theists have serious problems about understanding the difference between the rather simple concepts 'subjective' and 'objective'. Something which constantly is reflected in pro-theist posts, where these two concepts are hopelessly confused and used in often bizarre ways.

It's quite humerous that they dismiss "subjectivism" but use it as a defence when defending cultural adherences highlighted in scripture (Old Testament), that many societies now consider immoral or abhorrent. (except from a few) - e.g. stoning women to death.

"We didn't know any better back then" - Then why use the scripture if it is not eternal, or absolute? Why consider it the authentic words guided by a "Holy Spirit"? What good is it, if it needs updating?

Religion has trouble catching up with modern morality and decency.

And acknowledging subjectivism, doesn't imply that one holds an "anything goes" attitude to morality. I grow tiresome of those who associate all Atheists to Ayn Rand's philosophy.
edit on 7-8-2011 by ExistentialNightmare because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ExistentialNightmare

You wrote:

["I grow tiresome of those who associate all Atheists to Ayn Rand's philosophy."]

Which is so very much more fun, because as an expression of laissez-faire ideological competition, you won't find any more staunch Ayn Rand adherers than the american christian right, with its bitter fight against formal egalitarian principles.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

You wrote:

["I grow tiresome of those who associate all Atheists to Ayn Rand's philosophy."]

Which is so very much more fun, because as an expression of laissez-faire ideological competition, you won't find any more staunch Ayn Rand adherers than the american christian right, with its bitter fight against formal egalitarian principles.

Just wondering, did you mean American Christian right... or Reich?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by novastrike81

Those posted quotes are appalling and were not posted by Christians no matter what they claim .
But having said that , why would one even want to " debate " someone as sad as those that posted such comments ?

But I can see how such comments would prompt any sane person to point out the respective posters stupidity .

edit on 7-8-2011 by Max_TO because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Good points you rase but when it comes down to what a person choses to believe out of faith on a personal level then they have every right to live as they chose , unless they are harming someone of course .

If that person uses faith as a personal guid for living and doesn't chose to actively impose there way of life on others then they do require our respect and certainly don't deserve belittling .

But , if one choses to go forth to another with there own personal beliefs , then one would hope they would represent themselves in a well though out post , such as you have .

However , such debates that do take place , most of the time , have nothing to offer other then two angry forces facing off against one another in an all out battle . IMHO the form of debate is highly inflammatory , very personal and not representative of thinking minds but rather reactive minds , from both sides .

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

So you decided they're not christians, we know what side of the fence you're sitting on..... All it takes to be christian these days is to just say you are, blamo you are instantly a christian! I don't really care either way I don't have a set belief system but if I did I would be ashamed of myself for even participating in such a childish arguement..... I guess athiest start gettting pissed when christians are telling them to go to hell all the time, I mean wouldn't you be a lil ticked off too?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

If those posters said such things to me I wouldn't even reply , like come on , did you read that sad garbage ? How does a sane person even reply to such a comment ?

Yep my friend , peace of advice for you .. Anyone comes at you with a comment like that is mentally unstable and do not even reply , unless you want to argue with an unstable person all night .

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

This is what happens when you argue with certain people about their belief system, some people will kill or die to defend it that is why religion is a powerful tool... Atheists don't have a belief system or anyone to defend other than themselves, so when someone tells them they want to see their head on a stick or to be tortured for eternity expect them to be a little offended...

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

One could make the argument that everyone has a " belief system " . This personal belief system in many ways is made evident by observing how the person represents themselves .

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

But they are seen as shiny examples of a certain type of christianity

As to why respond to them
How about:

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
Edmund Burke

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

While the violent quotations mentioned here on the thread are short and could be hoaxes, there is no question about, that some individuals, who DEMONSTRABLY are christians (one or another version of christianity) have very similar attitudes, well on their way to the same aggression, self-righteousness, intolerance and invasiveness,

"But they are not 'true' christians".

Any debate about who 'true' christians are, is an as big internal problems for the collective of the christianities, as some christian factions' inability to get along with society, other religions and competing truth/reality-seeking systems.

And this internal problem hasn't been settled to such a degree, that a 'true christian'-argument is convincing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join