It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GMO Sugar Cane dust storm

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Universer

As it stands, the burden of proof rests on you to support with evidence that they aren't safe. They are eaten every day. All it would take is one instance of someone getting sick, hurt, or dieing from a GMO to prove that they are unsafe. One incidence. So why has this incidence never occurred, tell me.
edit on 8/13/11 by adeclerk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
From the Organic Consumers Association a March 2008 article entitled, 'Spilling the Beans: Unintended GMO Health Risks'

"Did you know...GM plants, such as soybean, corn, cottonseed, and canola have had foreign genes forced into their DNA. And the inserted genes come from species, such as bacteria and viruses that have never been in the human food supply."

"Did you know...genetically modified organisms (GMOs) are not safe. They have been linked to thousands of toxic and allergenic reactions, thousands of sick, sterile, and dead livestock, and damage to virtually every organ and system studied in lab animals."

"Why isn't the FDA protecting us?"

"In 1992, the Food and Drug Administration claimed that they had no information showing that GM foods were substantially different from conventionally grown foods and therefore were safe to eat. But internal memos made public by a lawsuit reveal that their position was staged by political appointees under orders from the White House to promote GMOs. FDA scientists, on the other hand, warned that GMOs can create unpredictable, hard-to-detect side effects, including allergies, toxins, new diseases, and nutritional problems. They urged long term safety studies, but were ignored. The FDA does not require any safety evaluations for GMOs. Instead, biotech companies, who have been found guilty of hiding toxic effects of their chemical products, are now in charge of determining whether their GM foods are safe. (The FDA official in charge of creating this policy was Michael Taylor, Monsanto's former attorney and later their vice president.)"

The article cites and references a number of studies with waves of illnesses affecting nearby residents and field workers in a number of countries.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by luxordelphi

And yet people are eating this EVERY day, and not a single person has ever died or gotten sick.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Sorry, I kind of abandoned my own thread but, thank you for the education on the subject.
I find it hard to believe that Monsanto has such a large gated compound on Maui and is only researching a small cornfield. We all know what they do, and how they roll and Maui is perfect for such a company because of the lax "grandfathered" emmisions laws for sugarcane and it's who you know crooked atmosphere. That's a different thread all together.

I've only been on island for 10 months now, a true Haole. Many people I've met on the island have similar complaints that I have when the cane smoke blows their way. If you live in Kihei and the're burning fields, you know what I'm talking about. It rains cane ash here. Many mornings Kihei residents wake to find their cars covered in ash.

Another issue on island is water reclamation. I'm still learning about this so cannot comment other than to say that the tap water here sucks. Most people filter their water or fill up 5 gallon jugs at the vending machine like I do.

Back on subject, I'll get some pics of the Monsanto facility and burning fields and btw, corn is secondary to sugar here for Monsanto. My opinion of course.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join