It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe's last intact forest in danger

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I read about this in a hungarian news site and i cant believe they can do this. A scene came in to my mind from a movie where all animals in the zoo was cloned, because the real ones became extinct centuries ago.

Here is the story in english:

"A study by the Romanian Ministry of Environment publicised in June 2007 describes Retezat-Godeanu-Tarcu as “the last intact forest landscape in temperate Europe,” spreading over 97,926 hectares. The area includes 18,046 hectares of untouched forests and 22 types of ecosystems, but almost 10,000 hectares are not yet protected under national legislation. And it is the shear size of the area that makes it big enough to support a wide variety of large mammals and a rich biodiversity.

Disappointingly however the local and central authorities of Romania have been slow to recognise the international importance of the area and have chosen instead to construct a national road through the middle of this region in the hope of attracting large scale tourism to the area. The dispute started when local and central authorities decided to build a national road that is scheduled to cut straight through the area for almost 100 km."

"...the road will be build and surrounded with concrete wall up to 4 metres tall, making them an impassable barrier."

Source

It's ironic they can do this in 2011. Why?

The United Nations General Assembly declared 2011 as the International Year of Forests to raise awareness on sustainable management, conservation and sustainable development of all types of forests.

UN

Few more decades and those dangerous car-tree accidents will be gone forever. They do this for our safety!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Stuff like this leaves me filled with a heavy sadness. Haven't we destroyed enough of our planet already? Always for money...What is money? Nothing, just a peice of paper that people put value behind. What is a forest? Home to many, the reason a species can survive. A reason that WE survive... Wealth is not always whats in the bank account. The sooner people learn this the better off we as a species will be. In my opinion anyway.
edit on 4-8-2011 by ucantcme because: (no reason given)

join