It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

skydiver survives 1000m plunge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
one of those amazing stories..

link to full article

www.smh.com.au...

a lady in Scotland has had both chutes fail (though there is some argument about the failure), plunged 1000m and (should I say 'walked away"?) with just a broken ankle.....

not sure if we have any avid skydivers here - not something I would be keen on lol

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Holy hell!

I imagine that spinning from the chutes tangling up is what saved her life.
But whatever it was, she is the most lucky unlucky person alive!

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Saw a very similar story on Nat geo (I think) about a week ago, I think the show was called indestructible. This guy fell I think a couple miles with two tangled schutes. Very scary to think about when you realize how long the time they realize they're F***ed and the moment of impact. Seconds can quickly turn to hours in your mind. The seconds stretching makes me think of the space shuttle launch explosion, they found scratch marks in the metal of the doors, they were alive for something like 30 seconds.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkSarcasm

Incredible that these skydivers survived. However, your space shuttle reference made my eyes fill. To imagine that the survived the initial explosion. The raw fear in there minds as they tried, in vain, to escape a most horrible death. Poor souls, it actually physically hurts me to think about them.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
not the fist for an aussie go aussie go

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   

"It was horrible. I gave everybody a lucky crystal before we jumped and I think it has helped.

The above is obviously why she survived, move along nothing to see here

Though if I was to survive something like that i may become religious!! Imagine what that could do to somebody?

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Wow, that's one incredible story.

I've heard of a couple of stories like this in the past, but as anyone can imagine, there certainly isn't many of them at all. Especially not many with so little injuries sustained. She is one lucky women.

Oh, and I really wish I didn't see this story... I want to go skydiving myself and I don't particularly want to hear about parachutes failing.

edit on 5-8-2011 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Human bones are stronger than people think

The entangled parachute probably slowed her down enough to make this possible, but she sure got lucky. I'm currently in the middle of getting my certification

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I actually took a skydiving class to jump out of a plane with my 3 tour vietnam vet father, he was in the 101st & the 82nd Airborne, I was actually born at Fort Campbell, KY, anyway...the night before my first jump I had a bad dream that my chute did not open. Of course, the next day I basically said...I'm out! But, the thing that got me was how some people can just fall down and bump their heads on the sidewalk, the snow or even get beaned with a baseball...and they die. Yet, there are a few like this woman who actually fall out of the sky and live....and there are people that actually think that there is not a higher power overseeing things? For whatever reason that may be, for good or bad, it should at minimum be acknowledged. It makes our minds tick doesn't it?

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeoAlef2012
....and there are people that actually think that there is not a higher power overseeing things?

Why does this make you think there is a higher power? You think this woman was chosen to live, but little kids who get killed in drive by's were chosen to die? Murderers and rapists can get away with it and live until they are old, yet good people and little kids can get cancer and die. If there is a higher power, what an a-hole.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Avid skydiver i am, and i can tell you that when your altometer reads 2500ft, unless your experienced , you dont want to be rippin much past that... cause if it fails, your reserve is left, its smaller and less effective.
I will say, that deploying both chutes, wether there tangled in a mess or not, would slow you down, not alot, but maybe enough to survive.

top topics

join