It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lt. Russel Honoré To Congress: "Have Army drill sergeants teach them teamwork and physical sacrifi

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

(CNN) -- Like most veterans, the men and women who have worn our nation's uniform to defend this country, I am furious with and disappointed in the state of indecision that plagued Washington these past few weeks. Whether or not to raise the debt ceiling so our country can continue to pay our bills and maintain our global credit rating didn't seem like such a difficult decision.

As a retired, disabled soldier who spent 37 years in the Army, I can only see this debacle -- the weeks of haggling to get to an eleventh-hour deal -- as the definition of "mission failure." At this point, even the last-minute deal that is on its way to President Obama's desk will not repair the damage our elected leadership's amateur-hour, worthless grandstanding has caused.

And it's not just our image as a world leader that has been harmed. It's our nation itself.

Our nation won the Revolutionary War because we shared a common purpose: freedom. General Washington's ragtag army, 20% of whom were slaves, were poorly armed and trained, freezing and hungry, yet they defeated the most powerful military in the world. Those men and their families were willing to sacrifice, to risk their lives and everything they had, to achieve our nation's freedom. Now the country that generations of Americans have worked and fought for, that 1.3 million soldiers, marines, airmen, and sailors died fighting for, is at risk.

edition.cnn.com...

I couldn't agree more. Our country is out of control. It's like a run away train.
edit on 8/4/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
sounds like an idiot to me, he doesnt relize what he was fighting for, thinking that it was for the USA, hes just another murderer in my book. Atleast hes coming to realize the war is not for freedom but profitable gains by a small few. I dont understand how people that "are fighting for the US" think they are so honerable in the wars that they fight. With all of americas high tech gadgets its like fighting with a knife against someone who is unarmed. You can see that with the video wiki leaks leaked, shooting up innocent people that were unarmed.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by thegoods724

Murder implys that it was intentional. I talked about this in another topic. If anything bad he commited manslaughter. Or that's the way I see it.

Then how is it wrong to believe propaganda by your country? That doesn't make you a murderer. It makes you gullible. Also the army pays pretty well from what I've seen.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew1749
reply to post by thegoods724

Murder implys that it was intentional.

When the military uses drones, drops bombs, and shoots guns at people the intention is not to take lives?
I really had a bad understanding of war until now I guess.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Kitilani

If you want to discuss war with me go read my actual stance on the war in a thread I made last night. I can link you if you want. (hint: I'm not defending the army here)

Anyways that isn't the point of this guys editorial.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

If you want to discuss war with me go read my actual stance on the war in a thread I made last night. I can link you if you want. (hint: I'm not defending the army here)

Oh dear lord, please do forgive me for responding to what you wrote in this thread. I will flog myself for an hour.

Anyways that isn't the point of this guys editorial.

He really did not seem to have much of a point. While the problem he points out is true, he sure as hell did not enlighten me to it and I find his solution laughable at best.

Better?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Oh dear lord, please do forgive me for responding to what you wrote in this thread. I will flog myself for an hour.

Didn't say it was required reading.

He really did not seem to have much of a point. While the problem he points out is true, he sure as hell did not enlighten me to it and I find his solution laughable at best. Better?

Sure. It's just his opinion after all. Not sure why you don't like it. I thought it was relevant to this forum. It's something I've often thought about. Our congress needs real punishment for being stupid.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Didn't say it was required reading.

Uh ok?

Neither did I.

Sure. It's just his opinion after all. Not sure why you don't like it. I thought it was relevant to this forum. It's something I've often thought about. Our congress needs real punishment for being stupid.

I did not say I did not like it. I said I did not agree with his solution. Why did you even post here if all you are going to do is whine when people do not just quietly star and flag you? I thought this was for discussion.

Why don't I like it? Because the idea of taking a bunch of rich pampered politicos to a boot camp for a few months and then sending them back to their posh, out of touch, heavily lobbied lifestyles I find it hard to believe that boot camp is going to have the lasting effect of helping them come to an agreement about how to tax the rich or care for the poor.
edit on 4-8-2011 by Kitilani because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

I did not say I did not like it. I said I did not agree with his solution. Why did you even post here if all you are going to do is whine when people do not just quietly star and flag you? I thought this was for discussion.

It is...polite discussion. I'm not going to argue about that as there is no point. I'm not trying to be rude and I guess neither are you. Leave it at that.

Why don't I like it? Because the idea of taking a bunch of rich pampered politicos to a boot camp for a few months and then sending them back to their posh, out of touch, heavily lobbied lifestyles I find it hard to believe that boot camp is going to have the lasting effect of helping them come to an agreement about how to tax the rich or care for the poor.

I disagree. Replace politicians with the word people and it works. Every time.

People go to boot camp and come back different people. I think it would have an effect on how they acted but I don't think his solution is serious. He just wants our congress to learn to be for the people which it isn't anymore.

Does that make sense?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Could you guys/gals picture Harry Reid, Mitch McConnel, and John Boehner running along the beach with a raft over their head? Doing pushups and pull-ups for 1/2 hour?

I swear to God almighty I would pay 500.00 bucks for a front row seat.
(I want the front row so I could point and laugh at them when they collapse in their old selfish bodies, and stare at death.)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I'm a fan of Robert Heinlein and his novel Starship Troopers.

I am also an advocate of Stratocracy. Military service, even in the reserves, would do wonders for this nation, especially Congress.

top topics

join