It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive European Network of Stone Age Tunnels that Weaves from Scotland to Turkey

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Im sure Ive seen those same pic's somewhere on this thread about Rennes-Le-Chateau in France....

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Cappadocia is thought to be an expansive network of tunnels and underground cities. Derinkuyu is one of the most fascinating underground communities I've seen. They have found tunnels there that also go to neighboring cities as well.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SnakeShot
First thought that came to mind was maybe they had to do this to survive an extinction level event.
Maybe it was the last passing of Niburu
jk

This begs a follow up question... If we were morons 12k years ago, and there was no global civilization, then how did they know an event was coming and that it would be extinction level?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
How could Stone Age man build these tunnels without a proper light source?
Don't tell me scienctists hold they did it with the use of primitive torches.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I am certainly not saying that is the case, but I would beg to use the Mayan, and Egyptian civilizations as well as the Mesopotamian civilizations for examples of how actually advanced we as a civilization were long ago.

Just saying...
I would not be so quick to say that we were "morons" back then, certainly not anymore than we are now.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Tunnels just big enough for a person to squeeze in would keep large predators out. Cave bears, tigers and other fearsome animals roamed Europe at that time and stone tipped spears would not stop a determined bear.
The amount of effort it must have taken just to make these tunnels indicate their importance. If it weren't a matter of life and death they wouldn't have dug them. Just my 2 centavos.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

A few radiocarbon dating analyses have also been performed, and they indicate that the galleries date back to the 10th to the 13th century. Bits of charcoal recovered from the Erdstall tunnels in Höcherlmühle date back to the period between 950 and 1050 A.D.

Heinrich Kusch, a prehistorian from the Austrian city of Graz, believes that these results are incorrect. He suspects that some of the subterranean systems were built about 5,000 years ago, in the Neolithic period. For several years now, he has been probing Austria's Steiermark region with giant drills for "gateways to the underworld."

But Kusch's theory has lost some of its appeal. All of the radiocarbon dating analyses completed to date indicate that the tunnels were built in the Middle Ages, challenging the validity of the prevailing school of thought. It holds that the tunnels were built during the Migration Period (known as the "Völkerwanderung" in German) in the 5th and 6th centuries, when entire tribes left their homes and abandoned the cemeteries of their ancestors. The assumption was that the tunnels and galleries were created so that the dead could still be venerated.

So what was going on in Europe between 950 and 1050 A.D.
abcnews.go.com...

There are some videos but they need translated.

very interesting,

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Cool find! I suppose this brings new meaning to calling someone a mole.

As someone else suggested, I am suspicious at the claim that all of these tunnels actually connect together. There are just too many bodies of water to cross and too many areas of dense granite and other stone. It's cool nonetheless. I wonder if there is any writings, markings or artwork in them?

Also, I just reviewed the OP again before replying. The last sentence in the 2nd portion of the article the OP quoted it says:

They do not all link up but taken together it is a massive underground network.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

First thought that came to mind was maybe they had to do this to survive an extinction level event.
jk

This begs a follow up question... If we were morons 12k years ago, and there was no global civilization, then how did they know an event was coming and that it would be extinction level?

Besides, if the terrified villagers were tightly packed into the subterranean vaults during attacks, why did nothing fall out of anyone's pockets? There are no food remains or traces of torches.

For these reasons, most experts attribute a sacred and ritual function to the underground landmarks. Many find the idea of a "chamber of souls" particularly attractive.

According to this theory, the galleries were essentially waiting rooms in which the souls of the dead were to spend the period until the Second Coming of Christ -- the Day of Judgment, when Jesus Christ would judge "the living and the dead."

abcnews.go.com...

Elves would be my guess

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Versa

I went and look at the OP video. Didn't see anything.

Can you find? I don't like to double post.

But, I think and believe this is something different. Although I see there has been some threads recently about tunnels etc.

This one is a bit different. Those others maybe a part of this so-called "complex".

Let me know.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
...dug by humans?.. where are the tool marks?... i dont see no stinkin tool marks...

...i suspect they were carved over eons by underground springs..

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I would love to hump (crawl) these spaces to their furthest extent.

But the batteries alone would be extremely heavy.
Not to mention the food.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

jk

Well.... a fairly slow, worsening climate change for example.
Should I have said "semi" extinction level?
People and animals tend to go underground when things go to shat up top... just saying.
I doubt they were morons.
edit on 4-8-2011 by SnakeShot because: grammar

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shugo
reply to post by Xcathdra

I am certainly not saying that is the case, but I would beg to use the Mayan, and Egyptian civilizations as well as the Mesopotamian civilizations for examples of how actually advanced we as a civilization were long ago.

Just saying...
I would not be so quick to say that we were "morons" back then, certainly not anymore than we are now.

When I used the term moron, I was being facetious. Mainstream science maintains the argument that we were nothing more than homer simpsons 12k years ago and that there were no major advanced civilizations.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

I was wondering about that.

Most likely they came across these caverns/tunnels etc that were mostly done.

They may have done modifications, expansions & addons but the majority of it was probably already done by nature.

That would be the most logical. But, they still went down---for what reasons...

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

and a good 2 cents. If they didn't need them (for survival) they wouldn't have dug em.

I think we humans have it in our genes to dig down. I mean, they could fly in the air them (allegedly) or stay in the water etc.. so... down we go.

Think of the Vietcong... The Tunnels of Ti Chi (Spelling?). Pratically whole cities. And they sure needed them for survival.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
number one question is why. I think it might possibly have something to do with the ending of the last ice age, and or some sort of war on earth between two alien factions. but anyways thanks for putting this one up

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
reply to post by Asktheanimals

and a good 2 cents. If they didn't need them (for survival) they wouldn't have dug em.

I think we humans have it in our genes to dig down. I mean, they could fly in the air them (allegedly) or stay in the water etc.. so... down we go.

Think of the Vietcong... The Tunnels of Ti Chi (Spelling?). Pratically whole cities. And they sure needed them for survival.

one question i have, they find any bathrooms?

i ask this dead serious.

and if it were to get away from raiders, wouldn't the stupid marauders figure out where they went? eventually?

and doesn't seem practical to leave everything on top to be plundered.

besides, they must of had a good early warning system to get everyone in and not be found out.

otherwise that seems like a whole lot of work for nothing.

eta; ok, leaving the human factor out of the threat, it seems like a temporary refuge.

maybe a couple days or a week.

not an open ended stay.
edit on 5-8-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

are you sure it's built by humans?

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Well now you just earn a big star... for that one.. Maybe they/we (humans) didn't build them. That gave me the willies in my stomach. And, for the dumdumdum... Perfect!!!

I'm with you buddy. I don't think that was built by stone age man. Maybe some sort of creature.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join