It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cartoonist Targeted With Criminal Probe For Mocking Police

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Come on look at mine. lol use MS paint if you have to.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

I don't know. I can't tell if it's made by the same guy or not. On the YouTube channel, it's a different name. The cartoon characters do have the same monotone voices though.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

Alright.
I'll keep trying, but I'm not going to make any promises....

It's going to look so messed up!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

If it makes you feel better I will PM you a diagram of a house I made last year for a thread on ats.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Wow!

I hope that wasn't a home designed to withstand earthquakes 'cause those walls look like they suffered!

You certainly proved to me to keep trying with my cartoon though.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Sorry that their heads look so warped, but you get the idea!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

It's....beautiful.

No really it doesn't look half bad.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Why thank you!
It sort of looks like a guillotine...

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
UPDATE

Renton Police have responded to inquiries regarding this case:
www.kirotv.com...

From the article:

Often, law enforcement is accused of failing to investigate incidents of misconduct, and/or minimizing the actions of officers. The videos we are releasing today meet the definition of a crime. As with other reports of crime occurring within the City, we will investigate to determine if a crime has been committed and to prosecute such crime.

Their reasoning behind the cyberstalking charge:

A person is guilty of cyberstalking if he or she, with intent to harass, intimidate, torment, or embarrass any other person, makes an electronic communication to such other person or a third party:
Using any lewd, lascivious, indecent, or obscene words, images, or language or suggesting the commission of any lewd or lascivious act. Cyberstalking is a misdemeanor crime unless some specific requirements are met which will result in a Class C Felony.

Renton police have said they are preparing to release all of the parody videos, which we will post as soon as possible.

I encourage everyone to read the entire article since it includes the entire written response from the police department. The article does say that the artist is still unknown. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Still it infringes on free speech. I mean its not like we though they arrested the guy without reason. We just know its a unjust reason.

We need to plan a protest.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
These videos are made using a movie maker webpage. From what i understand we are not allowed to post links, but you can see the name of the site on the bottom left of the videos.

The thing that upsets me about this whole situation is that this Mr. Fiddlesticks did not even draw/create the cartoons. He just wrote the script for the conversation and picked out the characters and clothes.

Some of you TV watchers may recall a Geico commercial using the same program.

What is next? Will I be charged if i make a character in a MMORPG that is satirical against police?

One thing i noticed about the first video in the locker room, it almost gives the impression that "Mr. Fiddlesticks" is a police officer. This might explain why the Renton PD wanted to know who it was, since it could be one of their own.

Peace

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Thankfully due to Article VI, Clause 2 of the United States Constitution, the Supremacy Clause clearly states that the US Constitution is the "Supreme Law of the Land".

Therefore no matter what type of crime you attempt to make free speech into, the First Amendment of the United States Constitution trumps it.

So it doesn't matter what kind of heinous unconstitutional threats this out-of-control corrupt department makes, they are clearly not following the Law of the Land. They cannot be considered legitimate enforcers of the law if they themselves do not know it or choose to ignore it.

It's borderline treason.

I'd love to see them all lose their jobs, face criminal charges, and serve time in prison. That would hit the spot.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by xDeadcowx

What is next? Will I be charged if i make a character in a MMORPG that is satirical against police?

No you cannot be legitimately arrested for posting your political opinion, especially if you are pointing out corruption. It is part of our First Amendment protected rights, the right to express your grievances without facing retribution or revenge.

It is highly illegal to trample these rights especially if you are a government official who is suppose to represent the law and uphold it.

When our officials do not uphold the law but instead trample upon it, than we are living in Tyranny and have all legal rights to defend ourselves from it and to overthrow it.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
This is a sad day for america.
Dont we have a wistleblowers act and shouldnt the fed (or who ever is incharge of that act) be steping in to enforce it.
Also This judge should be charged with something.
Wish the mistery cartoonist good luck.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
UPDATE

Renton Police have responded to inquiries regarding this case:
www.kirotv.com...

Their reasoning behind the cyberstalking charge:

A person is guilty of cyberstalking if he or she, with intent to harass, intimidate, torment, or embarrass any other person, makes an electronic communication to such other person or a third party:
Using any lewd, lascivious, indecent, or obscene words, images, or language or suggesting the commission of any lewd or lascivious act. Cyberstalking is a misdemeanor crime unless some specific requirements are met which will result in a Class C Felony.

It's illegal to embarrass someone?!?! I am sorry, but your ego IS NOT protected by the US Constitution. Also, who are they harassing? This law looks like it was meant to protect people and not police departments. Either way it is my constitutional right to use freedom of speech, even if it embarrasses you to the point of suicide.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Although 18 U.S.C. 875 is an important tool, it is not an all-purpose anti-cyberstalking statute. First, it applies only to communications of actual threats. Thus, it would not apply in a situation where a cyberstalker engaged in a pattern of conduct intended to harass or annoy another (absent some threat). Also, it is not clear that it would apply to situations where a person harasses or terrorizes another by posting messages on a bulletin board or in a chat room encouraging others to harass or annoy another person (as in the California case, discussed infra.).

www.cyberguards.com...

This is the Federal law, you must communicate an actual threat to violate the law.

AN ACT relating to the creation of the offense of online harassment.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Chapter 33, Penal Code, is amended by adding
Section 33.07 to read as follows:

SEC. 33.07. ONLINE HARASSMENT. (a) A person commits an offense if the person uses the name or persona of another person to create a web page on or to post one or more messages on a commercial social networking site:
(1) without obtaining the other person's consent; and
(2) with the intent to harm, defraud, intimidate, or threaten any person.

Sec. 42.07. HARASSMENT. (a) A person commits an offense if, with intent to harass, annoy, alarm, abuse, torment, or embarrass another, he:

(1) initiates communication by telephone, in writing, or by electronic communication and in the course of the communication makes a comment, request, suggestion, or proposal that is obscene;

www.haltabuse.org...

This is the Texas version, it appears its illegal to embarrass people in Texas but you have to actually try and communicate directly with the person you are trying to embarrass.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Well, I'm glad to see this situation is on Drudge this morning. It should get as much attention as possible!

I thought I'd add the newest article to this thread.
www.komonews.com...

From the article:

One member of the police department has already been demoted, but investigators are looking for additional parties that may be involved after another string of cartoons recently surfaced.

The chief said a deputy chief in the department was demoted to sergeant as a result of the first cartoon. A second police department member also remains under investigation.

"We believe a suspect in this case is either a department employee or someone who is closely associated with this department," he said.

Police used search warrants to track down the creators through the Internet after telling a judge the videos are meant to harass city workers and amounts to cyberstalking.

On Thursday, reporters challenged the chief, asking whether free speech rights were being compromised in what critics are calling a witch hunt.

Nine videos exist, and Renton police are in the process of releasing all of them to the media.

To the poster who said that they're concerned that the cartoonist may be an internal employee, you hit the nail on the head! Good job! They're scared of their own and probably should be if there has been high amounts of police misconduct.

I'll be keeping my eyes open for the 9 cartoons they're going to release. If someone sees them before I do, please post. Thanks!
edit on 5-8-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
This is a case of police departments strong arming citizens who are protected under the constitution. The judge who signed the warrant should be reprimanded and be sent back to taking classes in constitutional law. This is corruption and abuse of power in government. If citizens can't voice their opinions about government corruptions whether in cartoons, protests, blogs or newspaper editorials, than we might as well wave the hammer and sickle flag!

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
You know what I find funniest of the whole ordeal?

That merely the act of the department taking action and trying to stop it from coming out, is only making sure that it actually comes out eventually, and it also automatically indicates the allegations have substance to them as well.

Pity none of this would have happened if they could have just kept their idiot mouths shut and let it slide.

Did someone forget to send these government employees the documents describing how to deal with these types of issues? You just never respond to it, you ignore it, and hope it goes away. It has worked like a charm for years, so why all of the sudden are they shifting gears like this?

They are doomed to failure because whoever is managing this debacle is on the chopping block for a lay-off. That's why Unions are bad folks, it allows corrupt people to keep their jobs no matter how much crap they pull like this.

Maybe Unions would be good if their only role was to seek higher pay for the workers, but they seek more than that, they seek to protect the irresponsible and reprehensible actions taken by people who should not be in that line of work in the first place.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

You're absolutely right!

Everyone needs to get on the bandwagon and let this police department (as well as all the others) know that US citizens aren't going to be have their freedom of speech stomped on by their jack boots.

I'd like to see South Park have a cartoon based upon this and I'd like to see Anonymous help out in some way. Maybe do as I said earier in the thread where they could hack into the police and prosecutor's websites making the cartoons play on the homepage. I seriously think this would be too funny!

In the meantime, we should keep adding cartoons to this thread as a means of peacefully expressing our disgust. So, keep 'em coming, folks!

If I was in Washington or resided in this city, I'd be drawing pictures and leaving them taped to telephone poles and the such. At least they couldn't charge me with cyberstalking!

edit on 5-8-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join