It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cartoonist Targeted With Criminal Probe For Mocking Police

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Cartoonist Targeted With Criminal Probe For Mocking Police

www.kirotv.com

The Renton City Prosecutor wants to send a cartoonist to jail for mocking the police department in a series of animated Internet videos.

The "South-Park"-style animations parody everything from officers having sex on duty to certain personnel getting promoted without necessary qualifications. While the city wants to criminalize the cartoons, First Amendment rights advocates say the move is an "extreme abuse of power."
(visit the link for the full news article)

CARTOONS
Locker Room Parody:
www.kirotv.com...
Jail Parody:
www.kirotv.com...
edit on 4-8-2011 by Afterthought because: Added Cartoons

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Well, since the last thread I posted was a joke when I thought it was real, I have to try to redeem myself by posting this article about a joke gone wrong.

I think the cartoons are funny, but the law says the artist is overstepping his comedic rights. I think the prosecutor and cops need to have their funny bones checked. Maybe since the law doesn't think the cartoons are funny, there's some truth to the comedy. I think that the artist is certainly shining a spotlight on things that cops do because they're under the mindset that they're above the law when they're not. Having sex on the clock or beating a man to death. None of it is really funny. It's ridiculous how many cops actually get away with it or think they can.

I believe that this artist is actually performing a public service. I sure hope he isn't thrown in jail. Besides, do they really want to give him more ammo for the cartoons he'd create once he got out? LOL!

www.kirotv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
do you got links to his cartoons?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by thegoods724

If you open the article, it includes two uncut cartoons. I tried to find more, but was unable. They must've been taken down and held for evidence until he's found guilty or innocent.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

interesting and revealing bit from your link:

KIRO Team 7 Investigative Reporter Chris Halsne holds a key document that really lays bare the city’s intent. The document was quietly filed in King County Superior Court last week. It’s a search warrant accusing an anonymous cartoon creator, going by the name of Mr. Fiddlesticks, of cyberstalking (RCW 9.61.260). The Renton Police Department and the local prosecutor got a judge to sign off as a way to uncover the name of whoever is behind the parodies. Halsne talked with three nationally respected legal experts who believe the use of the cyberstalking statute is likely stomping on the constitution.

then they freak out and start with the "terrorists and criminals with something to hide" BS,when people start wearing masks or taking further steps to insure their anonymity.

aren't these actions by local PD and DA cyber-stalking by definition?

links to 2 of the vids

locker room www.kirotv.com...

jail parody www.kirotv.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegoods724
do you got links to his cartoons?

They are embedded in the article.

This is an egregious violation of Mr. Fiddlestick's rights (I can't believe I just wrote that
) under the First Amendment. In the days of the Founders, political cartoons were the most popular form of free speech because the population was largely illiterate; with cartoons, just about anyone can understand the statement being made.

Even today, shows like the Simpsons and South Park deliver political massages. Whoever is behind this persecution of Mr. Fiddlestick's and the violation of his First Amendment rights needs to lose their job.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

I have no idea how they can charge him with cyberstalking. Was he sending the cartoons to LEOs or prosecuting attorneys via email or something? That's the only thing I can think of, but I'm surely doubting he did this. The article is very limited in information and it will be interesting to see what happens. It does seem as though the artist has several people sticking up for him, so hopefully the prosecutor's office will have egg on their faces soon.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

they say they only have 2
but i seem to have found a third

www.kirotv.com...

oops it's the news video
edit on 4-8-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: ooopsss

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
No disrespect intended buuuuut,

I don't know what country you all are living in but the country that I call home (AmeriKa)
freedom of speech is a freedom we all have figuratively, just don't try and exercise it!

I have come to terms with the fact that the constitution is dead, therefore, it doesn't shock me anymore when I read things like this. Whenever I read things like this I get the impression that people are shocked.
HELLO!!!!!
The AmeriCa that you were taught about in school doesn't exist!!!
It hasn't for a long time now!!!
IT IS DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!

Now what?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Well, I still think we have a fighting chance. I'm not going to roll over for anybody!

Now what?
It would be hilarious if Anon hacked into the Renton police and prosecutor's websites so that their homepages played the cartoons instead.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Yeah.. Prosecutorial misconduct comes to mind... The judge should be spanked for signing off on the ridiculous warrant request.

If this goes anywhere people should be mad as hell and not stand for it.
edit on 4-8-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
What I don't understand is the judge signing it. I think the investigation should be who the judge is and why he/she felt this was a valid complaint.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

no i meant the pd and da are the ones
cyber-stalking MrFiddlesticks, creator of the vids.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Yes. I gathered your comment meant that the prosecutor should be charged with cyberstalking and I agree. My comment was mainly directed at the article snippet you posted stating that the prosecutor is charging the artist with cyberstalking. This is a really far reach and I can't understand their reasoning.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
reply to post by Screwed

Well, I still think we have a fighting chance. I'm not going to roll over for anybody!

Now what?
It would be hilarious if Anon hacked into the Renton police and prosecutor's websites so that their homepages played the cartoons instead.

Now that WOULD be hilarious!

You are more optimistic than I.
We have been succesfully brainwashed as a nation.
There aren't enough people who even know what the costitution IS
much less willing and able to defend it!!!!!!!!

Our country is dead.
I would LOVE to believe that we will rise up together and take her back but there is a reason it was able to be taken in the first place.You find that reason and it will be the same reason we won't take it back.

I am sorry to have seen this happen in my lifetime.
This single event would have been enough to lock and load 200 years ago.
Ohhh how times have changed.
We truely deserve this.
I can only shake my head in disgust.
What a great idea this nation was.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
cyberstalking??? are they for real??? if i were to post a cartoon online of a cop shoving a giant donut in his mouth, is that cyberstalking, too?? not even close.....most of the cops in washington state think they're above the law..every one of them i have talked to, or encountered, were giant pricks

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Explanation: S&F!

My cynicism has prevented me from trying to parody this satirical story with any kind of sarcasm. :shk:

Personal Disclosure: Oh wait .. hang on???
Never Mind!

P.S. The PEN truly is MIGHTIER than the sword!
[or in my case a keyboard... hey let this old armchair general keyboard warrior stand for 2secs in the sun and glory for a bit ok
]

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

oh that, it's called a pretext,
i think it's called social-engineering now.
basically it's just to find out who he is,
so they just use whatever law or statute they think they can use to get that info.

they don't care if the case collapses, as long as they can find out who to target.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
BRB, making a cartoon about the PD in question.

What will they do when 500 people do the same thing or 1000? I could see a new movement pop up on youtube because of this.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by BIGPoJo

I hope you're being serious!

I'd love to see your cartoon. I also agree that we should swamp them with cartoons, but mine would be a bunch of stick figures with huge batches stuck on their puny stick bodies. I can always write dialogue though!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join