It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Far Would You Go To Make A Point?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Evening girls & boys,

This is a question that at first glance seems fundamentally easy to answer, however on closer inspection and a little bit of personal interrogation, your initial answer may change drastically.

Quite simply put, how far are you prepared to go to get what you want?

I'll elaborate a little, "getting what you want" in terms of life, relationships, work, education or to simply make a point?

We see lot's of threads and post on this wonderful site coming from intelligent members who passionately believe in what they say and most of the time they have the knowledge or experience to back it up.

Just taking that concept a little bit out of context and applying it to your personal life aka not your thoughts made known to the public on this website, how far are you prepared to go?

I know the question sounds a little generic and hopefully my point will become more evident with the replies, but to put it simply again; how far would you go?

This chap: Mohamed Bouazizi

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9f6122e0e9cb.jpg[/atsimg]

Tareq al-Tayyib Muhammad Bouazizi (March 29, 1984 – January 4, 2011; Arabic: طارق الطيب محمد البوعزيزي‎), known simply as Mohamed Bouazizi, was a Tunisian street vendor who set himself on fire on December 17, 2010, in protest of the confiscation of his wares and the harassment and humiliation that he reported was inflicted on him by a municipal official and her aides. His act became a catalyst for the Tunisian Revolution, inciting demonstrations and riots throughout Tunisia in protest of social and political issues in the country. The public's anger and violence intensified following Bouazizi's death, leading then-President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali to step down on January 14, 2011, after 23 years in power.

I'm fairly certain most people on here have heard about the above case before but for those that haven't then please have a read and those that have, maybe you see my point?

Above chap in question decided to set himself on fire to make his point, dying what I presume would be a horribly painful death...

Where do you draw the line between caring, not caring and being indifferent?

If you want/need to change something, obtain something or make something known, how far would you go?

Nothing hidden motive or secret here, I just enjoy learning about the mindsets of others and I think it's an interesting topic as to why some people are driven and can achieve what they desire by going that extra mile, on the converse others who don't really seem to care and accept life as it approaches them rather than create their future.

Thoughts?
edit on 4/8/11 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/8/11 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I don't know that I'd walk across the street to piss on it if it was on fire.

I don't know. Now that I think about it, I might. I mean, why waste all that water somewhere else?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I certainly wouldn't set myself on fire to make any point, that's for sure.
I'm pretty much a take-it-as-it-comes kinda guy. I was raised to be grateful for what I have, so that probably has a lot to do with it.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
It's very difficult to say , I doubt any of us on this website have suffered the same poverty and ruthless government as that experienced in Tunisia. Despite our current circumstances things are still reasonably good for the majority of people. How far will our governments push us? We will always have the opportunity to vote them out, unlike those in the ME. Maybe as the economic situation worsens, people will be motivated to go to greater steps to make their point made.

At the moment I go as far as a Rant post on ATS.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
completely depends on the individual and what the individual values. there are many people happy to go about there day to day lives ignoring the bigger picture but caring deeply for his family, and therefore most likely would die for the ones he truly, deeply loves. this love to other people can be applied to politics or anything they do care about.
anyway the question was personal... to me to go as far as dieing for anything, would have to mean a very just cause. i would love to think i could bring people together and help the world, i don't honestly see how killing myself would do this... if i had a cause and set myself on fire for it i would assume rioting would follow and most likely more death, which i would not want, so could not see a good reason for killing myself. on the other hand where family is concerned, i would put myself into a potentially fatal position to save the ones i loved most, i don't even think there would be a question just sub conscience. it all comes down to priority, situation, and outcome.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Good thread...I was bored...thank you.
There is a catch in this attitude...
What is the the difference between him an a suicide boomer?
Both have a conviction to fulfill.
Now people will say "but old on this guy wants to sacrifice himself for the right cause but the other is a fanatic.
Well...
Both are fanatic, in true life you do not arm any one ....and this enculde your self...to make a point.
You say things the way they are and it is done for you.
People will say but nothing will be achieve in this manner.
Ask Gandhi ?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
There are other alternative ways to achieve the same result.
You can look at Gandhi peaceful revolution against the British colony as an example.

However the major, factor being oppressing here. Everybody was fed-up and change was imminent, all it needed was a little push. And motivation was drawn from the the chap who set himself alight.

Everyone gets really frustrated standing in bank queues for hours, what happens if someone raise's there voice out of sheer frustration...everyone else starts raising theirs.

TPTB knows this, hence their pushing their agenda's at a snails pace mostly gone unnoticed by general public,
until recently it is becoming noticeable. The average American is so focused on the TV screen and their lives, that they are oblivious to the shackles being set upon them.

Spread the word and give it a push, and the house of cards come crumbling down.

Peace

edit on 4-8-2011 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Once when I was in the Army, I told my roommate to stop sipping his coffee and then sighing afterward while I was driving or else I would run us off the road.

Well the next day he tested me and I decided to run off the road and hit a tree at 45 MPH totaling my car in the process.- (Yes it was foolish) But my roommate got my point.......I think.

I consider myself an extreme and brash moron, with little regard for other peoples safety or my own. That being said,...I doubt I have the stones to light myself on fire to prove any one of my points. I think I would have probably just sulked and bitched about the problem. But this guy was probably all sulked out.

PS: I have since learned restraint.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

I have learned through life that when tries to provoke a reaction and gets it, they keep on provoking. But if you seem indifferent and move on, they lose interest in you and move to the next target.

The thing is though, to remember the provocation, and figure if it is worth a reaction....one of your choosing, not theirs.

top topics

join