It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dow closes today at 11,383.68 with a drop of -512.76 points

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Wall Street Plunges on Economic Fears; Dow Sinks More Than 500 Points; S&P, Nasdaq Down 4%; VIX Soars 30%- Reuters

Stock investors face a number of worries. Congress and the administration must resume their debates over spending cuts to avoid a possible credit downgrade. Evidence of economic weakness has recently increased, raising fear of a return to a recession. A spreading debt crisis in Europe has also threatened to hit the global economy. ... » read more

finance.yahoo.com...
edit on 4/5/2011 by dreamfox1 because: info

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
No comments what the... So what will come tomorrow will there be a rally or will it be another stressfull day for those in the stock market.

The bigger question is what the heck happened to silver it dropped 4 dollars in a day about 10% what the heck. Is no place safe?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegoods724
No comments what the... So what will come tomorrow will there be a rally or will it be another stressfull day for those in the stock market.

The bigger question is what the heck happened to silver it dropped 4 dollars in a day about 10% what the heck. Is no place safe?

Everything is falling apart and tomorrow might be worse.

Look at what is happening in Europe.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamfox1

I think the most troubling news today is that Italy had a run on their banks. If that kind of fear spreads look out!
Everyone is moving to cash, but for what reason it isn't clear yet. If a bank run ensues in the US it will surely spread.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
This is from 15:15 pm. Dow Jones Its in 11.383. Woooo

edit on 4-8-2011 by greenCo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
wasn't there some thread about the economy collapsing in the fall.... Uhmm seems likely at this point.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I think this is a good representation of the economy just without the fun. www.killerclips.com... The express elevator to hell. I couldn't find a good one on youtube.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I think everyone's too shocked to post, OP.
This really ain't good at all. Stocks have dropped 10% over the past week or so. And a little birdie told me that the unemployment numbers come out tomorrow morning. I don't see a rally happening tomorrow.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by trueperspective

Yes, but if I remember right it wasn't supposed to happen until September. This "correction" I think is anything but. The big traders are spooked by something, because they are all moving to cash. Even commodities are taking a hit by this sell off.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Most small investors have figured out that if a stock doesn't pay dividends it's a scam.

Now that the jig is up,
people are trying to sell off, but
there is a shortage of suckers lately.

Notice that the vast majority of these dividend paying stocks are not listed on the market indexes.

High Dividend Stock List / blog

But please do your own research
as I just grabbed a random list of dividend stocks off of a search engine.

For instance a company may sell several types of stock.
The dividend paying kind are usually very very hard to find.
Typically the listed stock is nothing more than a "share" and pays no dividends.

David Grouchy
edit on 4-8-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamfox1

I've been watching the global markets on and off all day. Not only did the US tank, but Europe did as well, and including China. The only winner so far was Japan, and they pretty much broke even.
All the more reason for Bernanke and his cartel to push QE3 into the cannon and blast away. I think we're all in agreement here that TPTB are running the show. Oddly enough, EVERYTHING tanked including oil and gold. That's a prime indicator the there is monetary manipulation in the works.
edit on 4-8-2011 by OuttaTime because: forgot the P in maniPulation

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
The second Great Depression is on its way, and since self-reliance is at an all time low, its going to be really kicking ass and taking names this time around.

Perhaps this is the beginning; perhaps not.

Invest in practical, tangible items, such as guns, ammo, food, water, toilet paper, etc, just in case. When it hits, the prices of everything will sky rocket.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
The house of cards is wobbling. Tomorrow there are several key economic reports, and none of them look to be good. Today's collapse might be the market responding in expectation of the coming bad news. Things may quiet tomorrow as investors stay out, and the markets digest this move. If another large drop follows today we might be looking at a 2008 style crash again.

QE3 maybe all that can save these markets. Of course if you print money you will destroy this nation over the coming years.

The silver looks like a big player move.
At about midday silver got crushed.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/88a1917fc71b.gif[/atsimg]

Gold was down, but nothing like everything else.

Tomorrow will be a telling session.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I'm wondering why the dollar went up 1.86% ?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by stephinrazin

You're right there. Makes one wonder if there were a giant pile of Put orders preceeding this collapse. Time will tell, but as noticed by previous posts up there, the worst is yet to come.... unless the PPT jumps in and props it up with more brittle credit swaps and Trash bonds.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SnakeShot

Because other nations began devaluing their currency in the dead of night. Shady stuff if you ask me.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SnakeShot
I'm wondering why the dollar went up 1.86% ?

Because everyone was fleeing to cash today. Whenever this is a massive sell off like today and a huge move to cash the dollar is quick to respond in a positive way.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
dollar went up because japan and i think swiss are fighting against us devalueing the dollar.

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Everyone can go buy their gold and silver.
I'm still "investing" in guns and ammo lol.
The market fluctuations are a sham. The whole damn market is a sham, IMO. I can pretty much guarantee you that every single trader on that floor is taking orders from someone who could be charged with insider trading with the info they have. You don't get rich by being lucky, you get rich by f*&&#ing over anyone you can. There are people who stand to make MILLIONS from this market crash......to bad none of us are one of them.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by greenCo

lol nice diagram, really shows the severity of the times

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join