It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why you are here. The school, the subject, the point. Pure fiction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
For hundreds of years, we existed not knowing mortality. We had many generations since the death of our mortal coil, yet there was something that was noted amongst many of the elders.

The first generation appeared driven, they appeared to always be the most progressive thinking individuals, able to accomplish new and creative challenges for our species.
Over time and generations, the first generation became nearly worshipped. It was discussed what made them different than the rest.

Let me explain, The first generation was the generation that was born into the world of life and death, the endless cycle. Their outlook on life, at least initially, was that they would indeed one day die. These people, instead of being frozen with absolute horror, had quite normal lives. They worked hard, they took risks, and they felt compelled to accomplish things within their small lifespan. It is from this experience that allowed their drive towards fast progression in technology, philosophy, and other endevors.

The years when mortality went from an absolute to a choice was experienced in their life, and though they chose extension, their mindsets were already well trained in the short timeframe accomplishments.

New generations that came after the removal of mortality was born in a world that would never be lost to them. It is understood that with this mindset, there was no programmed drive to accomplish anything of significance within any timeframe..after all, if you will be alive for eternity, what compels you to start any project..there will always be a tomorrow to start.

As more and more generations came forth, and mortality went from history into near legend status, the pronounced difference between Gen1 and following gens became clear. All roles of importance were given to Gen1, not out of any reverence of history, but because Gen1 seems to be the only ones qualified for anything, or even desired to progress.

Great studies were undertaken about this phenomona and a solution was created. Each generation would be given an education of life experience that the first generation recieved. They would enter into a VR chamber and experience one of the many recorded lives of the first generation. They will go through birth, live, and understand only the experiences within the lifetime of the hosts time. They will fear mortality, they will believe in absolute certainty that they will die. They will see many "loved ones" die as proof, they will nearly die themselves, and in the end, they will experience the transformed years where we went from mortal beings to choice mortality.

This experiment started approximately 200 years ago. First a sample group of people went through the lives of some, and the result was astounding. They were completely transformed. They were driven, they appreciated their lives in the exact manner of the first generation, and quickly became character instructors themselves (aka, they became part of the VR experience for other students. They died, they passed down philosophy, etc).

Since then, we have processed over 37 billion souls across 4 planetary systems and several star bases. Our civilization has recaptured what was once considered lost to all but a few.

Enjoy your experience.

None of this post is true, its just a philosophical exercise. After all, you would know if it was true, wouldn't you.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Incidently, I do think we need to revamp the system:

Holographic Universe: Discovery Could Herald New Era In Fundamental Physics

It won't work as well if we see through the illusion before its time...unless this is part of it...

Craig Hogan, a physicist at Fermilab Centre for Particle Astrophysics in Illinois is convinced that he has found proof in the data of the gravitational wave detector GEO600 of a holographic Universe – and that his ideas could explain mysterious noise in the detector data that has not been explained so far.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Kurzweil on VR

(love this guy)

Secondlife...hmm...I wonder if I have chatted to him on there...he always talks about it.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
TOTALLY LOVE the mind working and wondering threads.

These videos are really cool! Thank you soooooooo much.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

WHY have I not heard of this man before???? This is another reason why I keep coming to this site. I learn something new daily.... again thank you and I am off to watch more videos of this guy.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

WHY have I not heard of this man before???? This is another reason why I keep coming to this site. I learn something new daily.... again thank you and I am off to watch more videos of this guy.

Not heard of Kurzweil?

To a futurist, what you said is akin to saying to a christian "Why have I not heard of this Christ guy?"

blasphemy I tell you!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

HAHAHA......And I read a lot on many subjects.....even ones I am uncomfortable with just so I keep my mind open to all possibilities. Yeah man....never heard of this dude before but I like him already! I think we can learn from everyone....just take what you want and leave the rest, ya know.

Thanks again....

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

here you go, a general wrap up

He is the guy who invented many things, the scanner, the reader for the blind, computer generated music, etc...he met every president since Reagen I think, is often brought to the white house to discuss technology development, etc...he is a pretty important guy anotherwards...and his conclusion is mind blowing.

He made a book awhile back about "the future" aka, where will be by 2000, and at the time, it was considered nonsense bunk...networked home computers...search engines...ability to click on something and get more information from librarys online, etc...
And ya, pretty much everything he said went from nonsense talk to fact...so, he knows what he is talking about.

Long story short...mortality is ending in the next few decades according to him.

This thread was about...what may be lost once we go past that point...what does mortality give us (besides terror of course)...it does work well as a kick in the butt to get things done.
edit on 4-8-2011 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Thank you for the post and the videos
Ray, now that i think of it, was instrumental in waking me up to the realities, and more importantly, the possibilities in the world we live in. Absolutely fascinating stuff! Although ill admit I couldn't make it through his "Transcendent Man" trilogy books, I did try! Maybe I will give it another whirl now that its been a good 3 or 4 years since I discovered them. Or maybe just skip to the most recent one
It is a little heavy as far as subject matter goes. Thanks again for bringing this to my attention.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZackMorris
Thank you for the post and the videos
Ray, now that i think of it, was instrumental in waking me up to the realities, and more importantly, the possibilities in the world we live in. Absolutely fascinating stuff! Although ill admit I couldn't make it through his "Transcendent Man" trilogy books, I did try! Maybe I will give it another whirl now that its been a good 3 or 4 years since I discovered them. Or maybe just skip to the most recent one
It is a little heavy as far as subject matter goes. Thanks again for bringing this to my attention.

What I love most about Ray is that he is the eternal optimist. Soo many people in the public eye are there because they are all doom and gloom or just a bunch of cynics. This guy has such hope in humanity without being a total fool...and with that, he is also prophet style great at his predictions, so ya, I am a fan of his mind. ..also, his money comes not from being just a philosopher, but the inventer of world shaping things...

I can listen to him, someone whom has done, projected, and met all his goals...or I can listen to a cynic that is typically just a speaker verses a doer and is quite often very incorrect in their assessment of things due to their denial mentality.

top topics

join