It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Day in the Life of an ATS Member 6 years ago

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Heres some threads you might want to digest

Link From 2004. Members complain that all the good members are leaving because of the quality of the site

This is a disturbing trend. A lot of our good members have been jumping ship. I WONDER WHY...

Link Thread from 2006 saying ATS has sold out and is now full of nuts

Link A thread from 2007 complaining about ATS going downhill

Link Someone in 2008 complaining that ATS used to be better and is now useless

Does anyone see a pattern here?
edit on 5-8-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

thats why I said it started in 1999

the real truth is everything started going downhill as soon as there was a flat access fee
which was around about the end of 1996? I may be wrong on that date

-------------
I googled
October 1996 AOL incorporated a monthly access fee
But I'll still go with 1999 since computers were still grossly expensive until around then
I couldn't find anything specific on that while googling but I know in 1997 I paid 2,600US$ for a brand new system - with a whopping 2 gigabyte hard drive and 56.6k fax modem and 128mbram
my next one I bought in 2000, second hand, for 500US$
edit on 5-8-2011 by Forevever because: I googled

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Back in my day...

Come on, now. Instead of expressing our dislike in the current quality of threads and posts on ATS, how about we focus that energy on actually doing something about it. It's never too late.

Did I elaborate enough there, Shugo? lol jk

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

The only thing that proves is that trends have gotten particularly worse. I emplore you, and everyone else that begs the argument "ATS is still just as good" or "better than ever", to compare threads -- the majority mind you from 2004-2006 to 2009-2011. I can guarantee you will notice something different in quality. You might also take into account the attitude of the members from the previously mentioned dates.

Is there a particular reason that everyone seems to have a problem with me having an issue with how ATS is now? Everyone likes to say "I can't speak my mind" and have a temper tantrum when they can't, yet when I do, people are offended by it. I think that's rather a bias don't you?

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Shugo

yes, you sure do show us the ways of how ats has become worse over time. But it was you and the people around here in 2004 that made it worse you were the people that allowed it to become worse in your opion.
I think ats is better who cares about quality or quanity, I mean hell you should know right, you come from way back when ats was so small I shouldn't have to tell you about the benifints of low quality and mass quanity. Also if your mind is to weak to deal with whatever you are complaining about, um don't deal with it?

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Doublemint

one major flaw in your analogy

ATS isn't going to stop people from signing up no matter who they are.

The problem is the people behind the posts, not the posts themselves.

The people who have a problem with the masses (like myself) have absolutely no control over who signs up or what they post.
edit on 5-8-2011 by Forevever because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Shugo

You know...I checked out your past threads and posts...there is nothing earth shattering. You could see any of those posts or threads today.

I think you need to look inside yourself, ATS is no longer new TO YOU...I think you got what I said earlier mixed up. When ATS was new TO YOU, it felt special, it felt exciting...and now you are reminscing of the "good ol days". Which is fine...but don't blame it on others...blame it on yourself. Don't come here and try to trash the site and the newer members just because the site isn't new and exciting anymore to YOU.

Go back and read these threads you thought were deep intellectual discussions, I think you may be dissapointed.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Just as everyone else likes to claim, if you have a problem with this thread, you could always just not comment.

Quite the condescending tone as well coming from someone who is trying to proclaim that such things are not was is presented on the site today as well. But I will digress.

Turning this around and saying this is the members from 2004's fault is, for lack of a better word, absurd. That is the same as saying that it's George Washington's fault for someone today having an addiction to sleeping medication. To a point I would dare say that it would have to be a recatering to a younger generation, or lax take on rules and regulation.

It's the same as me coming into your place of business and say everything you're doing is wrong, because it's boring. By the same token, it's the same as you coming into my place of business and saying that I'm "not 'in' enough." The sentiments just don't make any sense.

But please, if you're seriously going to sit there and say get over it, then may I please ask you to do the same about my views and opinions?

Outkast, why on earth are you just looking at my posts? I would be the first to admit my threads may not have necessarily been massive contributions, I'm not going to sit here and say I was an exemplory member, look at threads in general from that time.

ATS was not "new" to me by any means in 2004, or 2006, it's a site I had lurked on for quite some time. If it was a matter of being new and exciting, these "resurfacing" of ATS's faceplate and feature list would surely suffice that, no?
edit on 5.8.2011 by Shugo because: Addressed second post

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shugo

Just as everyone else likes to claim, if you have a problem with this thread, you could always just not comment.

Quite the condescending tone as well coming from someone who is trying to proclaim that such things are not was is presented on the site today as well. But I will digress.

Turning this around and saying this is the members from 2004's fault is, for lack of a better word, absurd. That is the same as saying that it's George Washington's fault for someone today having an addiction to sleeping medication. To a point I would dare say that it would have to be a recatering to a younger generation, or lax take on rules and regulation.

It's the same as me coming into your place of business and say everything you're doing is wrong, because it's boring. By the same token, it's the same as you coming into my place of business and saying that I'm "not 'in' enough." The sentiments just don't make any sense.

But please, if you're seriously going to sit there and say get over it, then may I please ask you to do the same about my views and opinions?

I don't have a problem with this thread I like it.

You were 14 when you joined, so how young is too young? If the rules are lax then they are nothing members can do about them.

Since this is neither your place of business nor mine we can both come in here and tell each how wrong we are?

If you didn't want me to respond then why did you wright?

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever

one major flaw in your analogy

ATS isn't going to stop people from signing up no matter who they are.

The people who have a problem with the masses (like myself) have absolutely no control over who signs up or what they post.
edit on 5-8-2011 by Forevever because: (no reason given)

So, you are taking something that is not your problem and making it your problem. Why, do you want people to act a certain why why do you wish to restrict them?

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

I never indicated I didn't want you to respond, I was just following up and informing you, since you felt implored to reply, and read this thread, that no one was making you do so. That was your own choice.

It has nothing to do with us telling people how to act, it's trying to understand, and explain that there is a difference in quality. But according to you "who cares?" Apparently I do, and apparently many other valubles members do and have.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shugo

I never indicated I didn't want you to respond, I was just following up and informing you, since you felt implored to reply, and read this thread, that no one was making you do so. That was your own choice.

It has nothing to do with us telling people how to act, it's trying to understand, and explain that there is a difference in quality. But according to you "who cares?" Apparently I do, and apparently many other valubles members do and have.

To me you did indicated that you didn't want me to respond. Useing that example do you understand how to use the right words to get your point across? Correct it was my own choice.

Why, do you think the members want to understand that there has been a drop in quality? If you care then you don't mind looking for it or atleast I don't. Keeping things hiden is what is happening now is it on purpose or by accident probally on accident so there are no problems, it is when things are being kept hidden on purpose then there is a problem.

But in the end I think you are coming at this problem from the wrong angle because this problem is older then the internet. As so many other topics on this website everyone just wants to talk about the surface problem no one ever wants to talk about the real problem deeper down.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

yes, forgive me
I want people to act like they have a brain
at least pretend to read an entire thread
maybe contribute something real, rather than repeat a 3 word post 5 above theirs.

I know its an IMPOSSIBLE request, but this is in the rant forum.

I'm not sure what you mean about taking on something that isn't my problem.
When I'm constantly slapped in the face by nonsense, it becomes my problem.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever

yes, forgive me
I want people to act like they have a brain
at least pretend to read an entire thread
maybe contribute something real, rather than repeat a 3 word post 5 above theirs.

I know its an IMPOSSIBLE request, but this is in the rant forum.

I'm not sure what you mean about taking on something that isn't my problem.
When I'm constantly slapped in the face by nonsense, it becomes my problem.

You say you don't have problem with the people but with the post but if you do not know the people then all you know of them is their post. To have a problem with the post is to have a problem with the person unless you know them.

I must not read these post you are talking about and I don't have a problem with them. If I did read these post I wouldn't allow myself to be slapped in the face by them. Lets say you read something its bs so you just move on to the next post how hard is it. explain to me where the problem is.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

Does anyone see a pattern here?

That expectations are always the building blocks of disappointment?

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

I should note, I am aware I may be one dimensional on some things, and it's everyone's right to respect that, just as I respect everyone's right that they may believe something completely different

I find it sad that people seem to be jumping to conclusions and quick to pass judgement upon me based on my views. Can anyone here actually remind me what the topic is? Apparently I wasn't clear, since some of these replies have been something completely unrelated to my original post.

I'd like to further add that this wasn't necessarily a thread of complaints, it was directed to expose people to how things were. This is an offtopic rant forum right? What boundaries have I crossed since people seem to responding like I have?

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
My point was that this sentiment of things having changed a great deal is directly contradicted by people even before you joined complaining about exactly the same stuff.

A thread from 2005 complaining about the number of one line posts and even threads link

Originally posted by WaxPineapple
i agree with intrepid i think that people should put more meaning into what you want to get to everyone else instead of just trying to earn points and look like the hot shot with five hundred thou. somethin points

Compare this to your view of what ATS was like back then

So you're banking on the majority of posts today have elaborate, extensive, and quality research that's gone into them just as they did in the past? I don't think that's exactly true at all. But I guess at the same time it may be perspective.
edit on 4.8.2011 by Shugo because: Fixed quotes

So if back then the majority of posts were elaborate extensive and good quality what were these people in 2005 complaining about?

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

That discussion was an outlash based on a recent slam of posts in which people were legitimately making one line posts which did not contribute to the threads. This issue has always been present, but on a much smaller scale. However, just like every other evolution, particular members were impacted in different ways. That's exactly what happened here.

I do not deny that this hasn't happened in the past, but I do still proclaim that the actual threads themselves...that is, the topic that surrounds them, and how that topic is presented and discussed is much lower in quality as opposed to those topics from before.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Shugo

still the only way I know you is by your post. If you dont want people to make judgments about you don't exist all other ways gets you judged.

So what I'm getting from you is that you would like people to wright longer post and put more words into them.

Well I would like people to wright shorter and get to the point so there is less confusion.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I said the problem is not the post - the problem is the person who wrote it

I see how you may have misunderstood though, I should've been more clear.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join