It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Day in the Life of an ATS Member 6 years ago

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
...an inside scoop on the way things used to be.

Now-a-days you come onto ATS, and find a lot of duplicate threads, you find people making threads which could potentially be good in makeup, and find that they've been made by children, posting only one line comments, not going into any detail as to what they're talking about or elaborating on the topic they're discussing. How the days have changed. For those of you who are unfamiliar with how things used to be, I thought I'd give you a little inside look with an instructional thread, but I figured also that I'd take time to pitch my own venting on the status of various assortments of things in the process.

The following contents is that of a day in the life of the typical ATS member, on a typical day, browsing the AboveTopSecret website in 2004, to 2006...as per my own experience. I should note, I am aware I may be one dimensional on some things, and it's everyone's right to respect that, just as I respect everyone's right that they may believe something completely different:

It all begins at 0000 hours, midnight. You are still in ATS Chatroom, after dealing with a long stressful day of members defying your every word, but at the same time, you have some members who genuinely back you up. Together, you and your friends have overcome Ignorance, and denied it for another day, using extensive research, and resources. You are now relaxing, sharing jokes, having some drinks, and kicking the can so to speak, and a mod shows up, and says carry on.

You proceed to engage in some off topic discussion, as your face of seriousness has gone away for the day, and fatigue is beginning to kick in. You post a few bits in the Three Word Story thread, and maybe mutually banter with some people in friendly form on the General Chit Chat Forum. You carry on with this, and back and forth with ATS Chat until about 3 AM, when you finally go to sleep.

You wake up between 1200 and 1300, and shuffle about your room, and slowly make your way into the kitchen to wake yourself up. You move back to your computer, and start the process all over again.

You begin by checking in on the recent posts list. You find Nerdling has made another startling find on the ATS News Network. Some crazy guy is also claiming he's been sent from the future to warn of an alien invasion, and SETI has just potentially found a reply to it's extensive communications attempts. There is a poster who believes they've seen a UFO in the night sky, and has posted a grainy blank picture to support his claims, a post about George Bush being involved with the NWO, the US being in posession of a supermassive super plane that would be considered a "god mod" to the kids of today. Another poster is proclaiming that Obama is the anti-christ, and another poster is saying that the world is going to end tomorrow.

Your day has begun.

(As much as I may disagree with some of the content in these threads, what is different between then and now? They all were elaborate, they all processed thought, and to the person who was typing them up, they were denying ignorance.)

You begin the day ensuring that your own threads are safe and clear of unwanted trolls and flamers. You address these concerns by cold hard facts, and evidence. Either in the form of a source you trust, or in the form of a source EVERYONE trusts. You point out key differences between what your offender has said, and what your source has said, and the debate has begun. Your offender then proceeds to state his case, and a topic then ensues that there are now at least two sides of the story. You can now effectively deny ignorance.

You move on to the other threads. You state your opinion in therough detail. Why you believe what you believe, you make out points and reasons using information you have at your hand, and you think before you hit the post button. You don't cry because you're younger or your personal problems, you don't share your personal ideaology with anyone else, but you are quick to make your actual ideas known, and you explain, and allow others to explore what your thinking actually is.

You carry on with this until about 1900 when you break for dinner.

You return at 2100. All hell is breaking loose in your threads now. Your once civilized conversation has turned into a trollfest amongst three other members, two of which are flaming you. You proceed to ignore one, take in what the other said, address the third, and follow up with commenting on what a fourth member has chimed in on, all while continuing your research and presenting new information. Your post is swift, and spot on, never stepping over the boundaries of what could be seen as childish, you think in your mind "Shut up! You're so tough, get over it! You're just a stupid newbie anyway!", but you type "I don't think you're really paying attention to the topic, the obvious reasons that I this is how things are is..." a quality discussion, and response ensues.

2330 is among us, and it's time to stop all the persistence. You take a break once again from the daily tasks and return once again to ATS Chat to relax, a troll is present in the chat, talking about their woes, and baiting others to feel bad for them, or to enrage them. A mod makes quick work of the troll, and chat is restored to it's normal easy going status by 2345, and thus you begin your day once more at midnight.

As you can see, a lot of things have occured in this day, it's busy, it's stressful, but it's topical...hard hitting, and compelling. It doesn't necessarily mean you have no life either. It means you did just as you were told, you Denied Ignorance, the site as a whole did. People worked hard at it too. But alas, I must quote something that I was taught by a very famous ATSer so long ago:

That's the problem with the internet, too many people think they're god damned experts...
...children will get in wherever the internet is, as long as they can, and decide not to think before speaking, there will always be trolls.

I thank you for your time in reading this.

"Deny the I."

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
So your saying people who just say like a couple lines in description don't deny ignorance as well and are less educated that others? just asking because even adults can be dumber than kids and some kids are a lot smarter than you might think.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Sorayugiman

I also never said that children are the only ones to do it. I was 14, I tried my damnedest not to one-line. EVER. That was looked down upon so badly that you wouldn't even dare to do so. They even had a message and character limit on the board to prevent people from doing as such.

Adults are just as bad yes, but you will find that the term "children" in this post is a generalization of attitude, not of age.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
this site has burnt out and become stagnant
i used to enjoy almost every thread i opened now thay just disapoint me

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Welcome back to ATS, seems you were gone before I ever got here. I've seen you around though. I'm sure there's people you miss from before you left but don't let the nostalgia blind you from seeing opportunities for new friends and new content to read, there's good stuff if in both.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I haven't been a member for all that long, but already the site seems different and less interesting to me
I don't blame this on changes to the site however, but on changes within myself.

When you have been a member for a while you tend to have seen a lot of the same topics discussed over and over and can even predict which way the thread is going to turn in terms of general consensus and feel, so you know longer get that feeling of excitement like you do when your discovering something new and different.

As for the quality of posts, I don't know, I have looked through a lot of the older posts on the board when this kind of topic has come up before and I don't really see that much of a qualitative difference to be honest.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
I don't blame this on changes to the site however, but on changes within myself.

I wouldn't blame it on neither yourself, nor the site. It's people who now of days have a knack of wanting to just say what they think right away. They don't think before they hit the enter button. That was one of the unique things of the internet...you COULD think before you spoke. You had to hit enter first.

As for the quality of posts, I don't know, I have looked through a lot of the older posts on the board when this kind of topic has come up before and I don't really see that much of a qualitative difference to be honest.

So you're banking on the majority of posts today have elaborate, extensive, and quality research that's gone into them just as they did in the past? I don't think that's exactly true at all. But I guess at the same time it may be perspective.
edit on 4.8.2011 by Shugo because: Fixed quotes

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Shugo

Dam I wish I were here 5 or 6 years ago, I am still new here but it’s not what I thought it was going to be when I signed up.

The problem I have is the type of threads, stuff that has nothing to do with denying ignorance or having some serious debate regarding conspiracy theories. I find allot of political bashing, mostly “I hate/love Obama” debates that belong in political forums or other stuff that does not seem to belong here. I hate finding a thread that is basically “watch this video”, “look at this website” with one line of commentary. It’s a shame really, you can’t blame the mods, this is a user generated site the only problem is that people seem more interested that quality over quality and sensationalism over truth. I also happen to think that there are lots of conspiracies that members either ignore completely or don’t give enough attention to because they are all too busy arguing over the usual stuff about 9/11 or the NWO. We are in desperate need of some originality.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
ooops double post
edit on 4-8-2011 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

When you have been a member for a while you tend to have seen a lot of the same topics discussed over and over and can even predict which way the thread is going to turn in terms of general consensus and feel, so you know longer get that feeling of excitement like you do when your discovering something new and different.

I couldn't have said it better Dave. When I started visiting this site (approx 6-7 years ago) almost everything was new to me. As time has passed, I have learned a lot since then - much of it from here! So it would make sense that there are fewer topics brought up that catch our eyes now.

As for ATS itself, really can't knock it. I've met a few good friends here too, and that wouldn't have been possible without this site! So kudos to ATS owners and all the mods

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

It really isn't what I was expecting to come back to either after 2 years of being MIA. I have noticed that the issues may not necessarily be limited to JUST ATS, but forums across the web. It just seems really depressing that people are so desirable to "post that link off the phone", or get things done so quickly as to not give us any valuble information right in a post.

How are we supposed to have a discussion on something when there's nothing to discuss? There's a topic, for some reason people can't post their whole ideas in one post, no they have to spread it out as people trip their switches.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Shugo

I agree with you. The real decline isn't just ATS.
ATS is just a great example, because we understand it.

I speak from experience with other sites. The phenomenon started around 1999 and went downhill from there. It has gotten incredibly worse in the last 5 years. I did hope it would be different on ATS, but I'm really not too surprised to find it isn't.

Your entire post is my current day for the most part - though I don't find as many threads to get involved in that I would like. I read way more threads than I post in (which may or may not shock you considering how often I post). I just feel if I don't have anything of particular value to add, there's no sense of me reiterating what everyone else (and someone likely more knowledgable than I) already said.

The only thing that scares me is when I disagree with a post, or when I try to keep a thread topic on track - I'm called a troll. This is also a recent phenomenon. I have never been called a troll anywhere but ATS, and IMHO, by people who really don't understand the meaning of the word.

The lack of ability to use some "choice" words, may be the reason for the increase of the word usage. Thats my only guess..

Meanwhile, I'm doing everything in my power not to stoop to their level. Though it is REALLY hard sometimes, and I don't always succeed.

Mad love for you. A lot of great things can be read between the lines of your post. I don't want to analyze it (cause I don't want to dominate your thread, this post is long enough). I hope others will hear what I heard.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
If you are bored its because you are boring.

If you aren't seeing the threads you like, make them! Or stop complaining. Either way ATS is not TV to passively entertain you, you have to make it happen.

There are still great threads that get made every day. Find them, flag them, post in them, make it happen. If you build it they will come.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

That's one quality post man. Thank you so much for actually taking the time to put it up. Appreciate the kind words, and respect to the views.

The big thing I think people are not understanding here either is it has nothing to do with ATS, I should make that clear. It has nothing to do with staff, or the site itself, it's some of the people on it...it's that issue where you can't defend yourself because everyone's also quick to use the word troll against you.

partygirl, did you even read my post? Where on earth did you get the impression I thought ATS was anything like TV? Where did I say I was necessarily bored with it? Furthermore, there's absolutely NO reason I should have to dig on ATS for quality discussion. Google is for that, ATS was not. This is exactly what my issue is here.
edit on 4.8.2011 by Shugo because: Addressed second post

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl

If you aren't seeing the threads you like, make them! Or stop complaining. Either way ATS is not TV to passively entertain you, you have to make it happen.

There are still great threads that get made every day. Find them, flag them, post in them, make it happen. If you build it they will come.

You have missed the point of the thread .
As a long time member and long time friend of this Shugo i can tell you first and foremost that he is not boring nor is he complaining .

If you were here as long as some of our members you would understand what he is saying and just because you dont doesnt give you the right to pepper your responses with condenscending tone .

Perhaps you should check the ATS archives and get a rough idea about what this thread is about before replying .

Omega

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shugo
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

It really isn't what I was expecting to come back to either after 2 years of being MIA. I have noticed that the issues may not necessarily be limited to JUST ATS, but forums across the web. It just seems really depressing that people are so desirable to "post that link off the phone", or get things done so quickly as to not give us any valuble information right in a post.

I have noticed this on many other forums I am on!!

I have only been on ATS a couple years + and I have noticed it change. I do see lots of threads with a ton of potential but the OP doesn't seem to care and usually never responds to anyone in their own thread. These threads use to drive me insane but I realized there is nothing i can do, the internet itself has changed and the people on it. If I see these threads now I just ignore it or I help the OP if they are new and don't understand the rules and how it works. I have found that to work best.

How are we supposed to have a discussion on something when there's nothing to discuss? There's a topic, for some reason people can't post their whole ideas in one post, no they have to spread it out as people trip their switches.

Yea it's kind of hard to discuss and one line post and a link....

Nice rant and I agree with you. I wish I was on ATS back in the day!

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Shugo

You're welcome
us oldheads gotta stick together ♥

The big thing I think people are not understanding here either is it has nothing to do with ATS, I should make that clear. It has nothing to do with staff, or the site itself, it's some of the people on it...it's that issue where you can't defend yourself because everyone's also quick to use the word troll against you.

Here I disagree then agree.

Perhaps you were trying to show modesty in saying, "I should make that clear". But everything you said was quite clear and you answer that yourself when you say, "it's the issue where you can't defend yourself because everyone's quick to use accusations against you" (yeah I changed that to how I read it rather than verbatim).

Accusations include anything founded or unfounded, completely off topic, and/or insults.

Your OP is better than I could've said it. I understood it completely. There is nothing for you to clarify.

Don't take my word for it

There are many more posts, on this one page, that agree.
::::waves frantically at omegaman, mblah, dave, and others I missed::::

P.S. You can usually tell a lot about a person in how they misunderstand something then take offense. For example, the first person on this page is at least one of the following: a kid, or been accused of being a kid, or was persecuted for being a kid when he or she was a kid.
There's also a "highly unlikely" option of "they used to persecute kids then was corrected.
edit on 5-8-2011 by Forevever because: ♥

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl

You've not even been here 4 months

Im another one thats known shugo for years, and he isnt boring or a complainer. He has been gone a long time and only recently came bacjk to find that this place was completely different. Frankly i is....while I know there are good threads out there, im still dissapointed that it takes forever to find them. All threads these days are one liners, perhaps with a youtube video.....yet they get 150 flags, while someone who spends hours on a well thought out argument gets completely ignored.

Thats what is wrong with ATS these days

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I'm going to agree with others...it's not ATS...it's you. You are thinking of ATS when it was new and exciting to you...take a break...come back...and expect that same feeling.

Members that join today will be making this exact same thread 4 years from now.

So it is really up to you to find enjoyment or excitment...it isn't up to ATS or other members to provide it for you.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

ATS was hardly new 6 years ago. It was a site that had been around for a bit over 6 years before that. There was nothing "new" about it. I don't understand where people get the idea that I'm having complaints over the type of content here, I've said it multiple times before that it has absolutely nothing to do with it. It has to do with the quality of that content that's gone down the tubes. The replies in this thread speak for themselves, where is this "quality" content that is supposedly on ATS, and why do I have to dig for it, when it should be on the front page?

I'm not pointing out something that's irrational, this is how things used to run, and that is how things worked. You didn't see people harumphing about their feelings or trolls, you saw topical discussion that was of quality in nature. I can count on one hand the amount of content like that on here now, that's just completely ridiculous.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join