It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satirical mints poking fun at Obama pulled from UT bookstore

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Satirical mints poking fun at Obama pulled from UT bookstore

www.knoxnews.com

Breath mints are usually refreshing, but a Knoxville legislator believes a University of Tennessee bookstore's selling of novelty candies mocking President Barack Obama stinks.

UT officials pulled the mints poking fun at Obama from store shelves after state Rep. Joe Armstrong, a Democrat, visited the bookstore and told the director he found the satirical mints offensive.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Wow! So now we have a state senator, a Democrat, deciding what can be sold in a store? Not only that, but trampling the first amendment as well! Even when he was told that they also had Bush mints just like it in the bookstore, he still had them removed. Just like a Democrat, if it's against their party it's not fair. If it's against anyone else, then that's fine. Tired of the liberal bullsh*t!

www.knoxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
dont stress to much over it, its just mints, and its probably giving the mints great publicity to sell, in your face senator

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by thegoods724

It's not that I'm stressing out over it, I'm just sick of the double standards these bast*rds have. I bet no one does anything to correct the situation either. because if they did, they would be labeled a racist.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

reply to post by haarvik

Yup, they are hypocritical morons. They remind me of little kids that get mad and start to cry when they do not get their way.

HEY ONLY I CAN MAKE FUN OF YOU NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?

Sad thing is you can find this in almost every interaction with those kinds of folks. I am starting to think our country will be either a very bloody place or a very nasty robotic "by the book" place in the future. And by the book place I mean 1984/Handmaid's Tale-ish.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Wow, really?

Kent, who has run the bookstore since 2009, said the university and the store had no intention of offending anyone with the mints. The store previously carried satirical mints aimed at former President George W. Bush when he was in office.

"We've never had any complaints before and we've carried them for years," Kent said. "But someone saw it and they were offended by it, brought it to the attention of a state representative, and I said 'no problem, we'll remove them.'"

Hey they made fun of the last guy but that is okay, just as long as they do not make fun of my hero

What crap. Someone actually got offended by this? Grow a pair seriously, nowhere in the Constitution are you guaranteed the right not to be offended.

On a side note let them cry and dictate what can and cannot be sold. It only shows how pathetic and petty they truly are. Some people do not forget stupid small minded shenanigans like this. Cry me a freaking river.

Raist

edit on 8/4/11 by Raist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Remember that it was the bookstore that pulled the mints from the shelves. They probably didn't want the State Representative to start an uprising and have the little Commies on campus destroy the store. Then of course you might have had Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and the others who make their living and gain their power from playing the race card to picket the store. I can go on and on here. Like the guy from the store said, there was no problem when they sold mints poking fun at Bush.
edit on 4-8-2011 by JIMC5499 because: Made a mistake. It wasn't a Senator it was a State Rep. corrected.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

Sure it was the book store that made the choice to pull them.

It was also the petty crying pansies that decided to get all huffy about the mints, and as you said they would most likely have caused real trouble for the owner and the store.

Raist

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Yep. If you or I did it, it would be called extortion and we would probably go to jail.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I feel this is a clear violation of the first ammendment. A government official goes to a government business (univiersity owned bookstore) and requests them to remove an item in bad taste. I am not sure what the appropriate punishment should be, but he needs to get a senatorial slap upside his knogging for thinking this was ok in the first place.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I have never seen a politician coddled quite like this one. You would think he was some great savior the way he is treated by many.

I look at it like this we are all adults if you cannot take a little razzing here and there (especially in that position) then you need to take off your big boy pants and stay at home inside away from the big bad real world around you.

I mean seriously if you ever watched Mad TV or SNL when Bush was in office they literally tore him a new one weekly. Even Clinton got hit pretty hard with the comedy. It is time to be a big boy and roll with the punches.

Raist

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

All of you realize this is not a privately owned store, right?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Did you miss the quote from the article that says no one said squat when they had the Bush ones?

Does not matter at this point now. They have had them for years and nothing was said until there were Obama mints. If they said nothing about the Bush mints nothing should be said about the Obama mints.

Edit to add the quote again.

Kent, who has run the bookstore since 2009, said the university and the store had no intention of offending anyone with the mints. The store previously carried satirical mints aimed at former President George W. Bush when he was in office.

"We've never had any complaints before and we've carried them for years," Kent said. "But someone saw it and they were offended by it, brought it to the attention of a state representative, and I said 'no problem, we'll remove them.'"

Raist
edit on 8/4/11 by Raist because: Adding quote.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

It isn't him. It is his worshippers. He has an almost cult-like following of people who act like they have been brain washed. Several of the talk radio shows call him "Messiah" and for some people they are not too far off. With the way things are going these days I fear for his safety. If someone takes him out (think far Left wacko) there is no telling what would happen. Just limit his damage and let him finish out his term.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Yeah that is what I ment. Not saying he thinks he is the great one (though he certainly thinks his poo don't stink from his attitude) but the people around him and those that follow him think he is the next saint.

Sorry if it seemed I was saying he flt he was a saint. I am just a little miffed that nothing was said about monkey boy Bush (yeah not really a Bush fan either
) mints but the Obama mints are a no no.

Raist

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegoods724
dont stress to much over it, its just mints, and its probably giving the mints great publicity to sell, in your face senator
First they came for the mints, but I wasn't a mint, so I did nothing.....

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
reply to post by Cuervo

Did you miss the quote from the article that says no one said squat when they had the Bush ones?

Does not matter at this point now. They have had them for years and nothing was said until there were Obama mints. If they said nothing about the Bush mints nothing should be said about the Obama mints.

Edit to add the quote again.

Raist
edit on 8/4/11 by Raist because: Adding quote.

Bush mints were wrong too. It all depends on somebody throwing a fit over it. If the guy was a Bush supporter, he would have complained about those ones, instead.

Personally, I find it rather believable that a Bush supporter never entered a book store therefore never complained.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

Personally, I find it rather believable that a Bush supporter never entered a book store therefore never complained.

Why are they wrong? Just being president does not exclude one from being made fun of.

Not a Bush supporter but since your last line might offend someone I think you should remove it because it is wrong.

Raist

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist

Originally posted by Cuervo

Why are they wrong? Just being president does not exclude one from being made fun of.

Not a Bush supporter but since your last line might offend someone I think you should remove it because it is wrong.

Raist

Again, it comes back to the fact that this book store is not a private establishment. It's not as if the government came down to Ole Man Tucker's gas station and made him throw away his candy. This is a publicly funded store and shouldn't have political leanings out on display.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

As said before though, no one had a problem with the store having the political stuff for years as long as it was someone they hated.

Also have you ever been to or watched public funded anything?

90% of the time there are political leanings to one party or another.

In my opinion everyone in DC should be tossed into the middle of the ocean and told to sink or swim so I am not really a party fan myself.

Raist

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join