It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Report: Seasonal Salt-water flows found on Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Source: CNN

[I realize there is another thread ('Just a Heads up: NASA Announces...'), but this means nothing to someone searching for the topic - now, that it is already 2 pages long with no other info - or perusing the Main forum, at a later time]

Mars May Have Salty Water

Scientists have found new evidence for possible saltwater flows on Mars. The discovery was announced at a NASA news conference Thursday.

Alfred McEwen, lead author of the Science study showing these observations, and his team have been observing Mars using the HiRISE camera aboard the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. His team has identified features on some slopes of the planet that appear to fade in the winter and come back in the spring.

These flows occur near the Mars equator, where temperatures would be suitable for liquid water.

The water is expected to be salty because previous study of the planet has shown that its surface is salty, so any water that flows in the subsurface is going to be salty.

Seven such sites on the planet have been confirmed, with 20 more possible.

The study does not prove water exists, but identifies it as the best explanation.

"I think it’s going to be laboratory experiments on Earth that give us the best confirmation or refutation," McEwen said.

edit on 8/4/2011 by SquirrelNutz because: fixed linkage

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I told someone there was water on Mars 15 years ago...he laughed at me.
I feel good now....wish I could tell him "I told you so!"

I would feel even better if CNN Breaking News would announce "We've had people working on Mars for decades, but unfortunately, the Reptilians ate them."

edit on 4-8-2011 by TETRA.X because: typo

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by krossfyter

Thanks. Found it same time.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
NASA could come out and say that we have found Megalithic structures on Mars and I wouldn't bat an eye.
I am so tired of being drip fed by these clowns.
Telling us # we already know.
HELLO!?!?!?!?!

Out with the good stuff already!!!!!
Water, REALLY?!?!?!?!
NO # SHERLOCK!!!!!

Let's deal with these damn structures that keep popping up shall we???
I don't give two squirts of piss about salt water.
I want to know why in the hell there are obvious pyramid structures on Mars!!!!!

new topics

top topics

join