It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars: Breaking news - NASA releases strongest evidence yet of water - Possible habitable zone for mi

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Star and Flag for the most amazing news I have heard in a long time! I cannot believe that this is not the Top story on ATS today!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by sean_uk
I cannot believe that this is not the Top story on ATS today!

Well, when this story appears in various newspapers in the morning and on television news stories, you will probably see quite a few duplicate threads here on ATS...

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by CasiusIgnoranze
reply to post by IsaacKoi

I bet NASA has found stuff way more interesting than liquid water on Mars. They just like to keep it top secret.

edit on 4-8-2011 by CasiusIgnoranze because: .

i think they´ll keep it ABOVE top secret

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I remember back in 2000 or 1999 when two scientist in San Diego somewhere discovered some watermarks just like this but then it was ancient water that evaporated long ago. I knew then water was present just never thought it would take this long for NASA to admit it imho I believe more is coming down the pipeline.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegoods724
Aww thats lame, does anyone really care about if it can or cant support life, no one is going to want to live there, atleast till we advance space travel by 1000% so do that first then tell me where we may or may not be able to live.

Lame?

Humans have developed spaceflight and sent robots to Mars to investigate it's environment. I don't think that's lame. I think it's bloody awesome.

Saying it is "lame" is part of the soft-modern malaise. We can't get excited about anything other than sports teams and celebrities. Now, that's Lame.

The news in the OP is most definitely not lame.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
[more

Yeah, there's two already (I made one of them, sorry...
but I added a link to your thread when I realized my mistake).

Back on topic: What I find most amazing about this new information is that we are not just talking about water, which if found on a planet such as Mars would be ice-water; we are talking about actual flowing water. I would have never thought of the possibility of briny water (it just never occurred to me)...

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by CriticalCK

Thanks for the reference. I've heard about ice and even surface ice visible from orbit, but this is the first time I've heard anyone in authority seriously suggest flowing, moving liquid water on the surface. However, aren't we still hearing all this based entirely on observation from orbit? Perhaps they need to drop whatever else future probes have planned until this area is checked and carefully surveyed to the extent the rovers/probes can.

It seems to me that the entire future of Martian exploration and the manned approach could change depending on the nature and supply from a natural "spring" like this?

Have I really missed that much about Mars? I know the suspicions and even honestly debatable imagery to prove everything from recent riverbeds to full blow base structures have been floating around for many years. I just haven't heard NASA or the U.S. Government make something like this official by public statements before? This is just a sea change to my thinking about Mars...

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
There is virtually no water on Mars, it's more baren than any desert on Earth. There is also no evidence suggesting there was EVER any water on Mars in anything other than trace amounts. For that matter there's no conclusive evidence of even TRACE amounts of water on Mars, only hydrogen, the most abundant element in the universe.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

I had already said this, some time ago...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And in another related thread, beautiful images of dry and wet tracks flows.......

Here some proofs

And a Martian Hydraulic Pump...?

Detail

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
NASA will still have sort out how either a salty water or acidic water is the culprit, at the moment it doesn't matter which, just how either came to be. My thoughts are more that it is warm water,

www.msnbc.msn.com...

There is no reason to suppose that Mars is immune to being pushed and pulled and stretched just like us and the rest of the planets. Rub two stones together, (not the ones in your pocket) you get heat.

Mars is a big planet, no one is sure if the core is dead, more the opposite is likely, it is an open question.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arken

Did you try to get your views published in a peer-reviewed scientific journal?

All the best,

Isaac

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Star and flagged! I can't wait for a true leader to begin human exploration of this world.
Here is another for your viewing pleasure.

Warm-Season Flows on Slope in Newton Crater: This series of images shows warm-season features that might be evidence of salty liquid water active on Mars today. (Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Univ. of Arizona)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by IsaacKoi

Originally posted by Arken

Did you try to get your views published in a peer-reviewed scientific journal?

All the best,Isaac

No. I'm heretic for the common science.

However the discovery is not mine, only NASA scientists.
And the images that I posted here are not mine but from a related thread called "Liquid (water?) flows on Mars Now!" www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Where's Joseph P Skipper when you need him.

"Never A Straight Answer" as always!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by downunderET

Wasn't surprised this was going to be the case after the years of people saying there's water on mars, and showing images of proof, with people saying "This is not water, this is not proof". Whilst watching the live stream I did wonder why it took them this long to confirm the evidence, though I do understand they have to study the seasons etc. Though common folk have identified the geographical features that water creates just by looking at publicly available satellite images.

As the above poster said, Never A Straight Awnser.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by StalkingGoogle

There is virtually no water on Mars, it's more baren than any desert on Earth. There is also no evidence suggesting there was EVER any water on Mars in anything other than trace amounts. For that matter there's no conclusive evidence of even TRACE amounts of water on Mars, only hydrogen, the most abundant element in the universe.

You do know that the HUGE desert in the center of Australia was once covered in water and even today has vast amounts of underground water still present???

The Great Artesian Basin: (GAB)

This vast underground aquifer which covers much of northern and central Australia might be likened to an underground sea.

www.solutionsforsustainableliving.com.au...

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by CasiusIgnoranze

I bet NASA has found stuff way more interesting than liquid water on Mars. They just like to keep it top secret.

edit on 4-8-2011 by CasiusIgnoranze because: .

I agree. Didn't they find water, or strong evidence for water, on the moon in the 70's - yet made out it had only been confirmed sometime in the last 4 or 5 years? Maybe I'm wrong. But sometimes I feel NASA and co work a bit like mobile phone companies. They could give you the best deal and all the features straight off, ie, free calls to landlines, but they don't for several years, just so they've got something to ween money out of people at a future date. So I wouldn't be surprised if NASA know fully what Mars is about already but will give the public dribs and drabs of info for the next decade.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

You know what would be a trip?? Putting living organisms on the planet, and monitor them as they grow and develop to see (obviously not in our lifetime) what comes out of the life put there - Darwin in action. Kind of like a real life Truman Show!!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I think they are just disclosing to drum up interest. Don't forget 3000 just lost their jobs when the shuttle was grounded. The institution is becoming redundant as they will not disclose the really juicy stuff because of policy.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Ill give this two weeks before its thrown out in peer review just like the Martian meteorite and the arsenic based life fiasco. Neither have born out and it all smells like NASA trying to keep off the funding chopping block.

Space is cool and all, but let private industry take over our space exploration. We would have stations on the moon by now
. NASA is no different than any other government agency. When they start to become so bloated and wasteful they resort to HUGE BREAKING NEWS that turns out to be a couple scientist on the government dole trying to justify their jobs.

I'm telling ya in two weeks this will be a non story not because its a coverup but because itll be a couple guys or agency looking to get their names in the papers or to renew that grant thats running out. Scientist are people to.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join