It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neb. mine find to challenge China's dominance of vital rare minerals

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Neb. mine find to challenge China's dominance of vital rare minerals

www.washingtontimes.com

Elk Creek, Neb. (population 112), may not be so tiny much longer. Reports suggest that the southeastern Nebraska hamlet may be sitting on the world’s largest untapped deposit of “rare earth” minerals, which have proved to be indispensable to a slew of high-tech and military applications such as laser pointers, stadium lighting, electric car batteries and sophisticated missile-guidance systems.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Supposing that this find isn’t litigated to death by the “environmentalist” lobby before the first shovel full of ore can be processed, this is certainly good news. Good news for the town and property owners to be sure, but also good news for the rest of the world which has been taken hostage by the Chinese near monopoly in rare earths.

www.washingtontimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
dont worry, china will make them an offer they cant refuse if its any good at all,,
and of course greed over patriotism or as we used to call it ,,
traitor selling precious resourses too enemy,,
ohh wait didnt Clinton ,,,bill,, already do that?
ohh ok sorry ,, guess china isnt the enemy,,
ya sell it,,
edit on 4-8-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Oh I feel bad for this town. They strike me as acting like the jungle natives in South America when the gringos come flying in with gifts and treasures while they measure to build something called a 'Dam' somewhere nearby. If this is true...It'll be good for America, but that town and it's people will be completely obliterated in the gold rush to dig up everything in that whole part of the state looking for something worth FAR MORE than gold ever has been. IMHO

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

"Chinese near monopoly"

unquote

thats like saying, your near being pregnant,,,

near,,,

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
This is the worse news in Elk creeks history, they just don't know it yet...

news.xinhuanet.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike

Supposing that this find isn’t litigated to death by the “environmentalist” lobby before the first shovel full of ore can be processed, this is certainly good news. Good news for the town and property owners to be sure, but also good news for the rest of the world which has been taken hostage by the Chinese near monopoly in rare earths.

Absolutely. Leftwingers are the only thing stopping us from being resource independent. They should be treated as traitors imo.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
"Like other villagers in Huangsha, Yuan always works temporary jobs at the rare earth mines during slack farming season, where he can earn more than 50 yuan (7.6 U.S. dollars) per day."
unquote

Thats sounds about right,, work at burger joint,, 7.6 U.S. dollars / hr

hey thats not bad,,

pssssst,,thats per day,,being a farmer probably,, about 12 hr day,,, thank god china is not the enemy.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Before you get too excited, remember that it could be on Indian land.

That would make it good for the tribe that owns it, if so.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Oh I feel bad for this town. They strike me as acting like the jungle natives in South America when the gringos come flying in with gifts and treasures while they measure to build something called a 'Dam' somewhere nearby. If this is true...It'll be good for America, but that town and it's people will be completely obliterated in the gold rush to dig up everything in that whole part of the state looking for something worth FAR MORE than gold ever has been. IMHO

Given the option, I think most people would exercise mineral rights if it made them into millionaires even if it meant they had to pack up and leave.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Impeccable timing! Could this offer a boost to U.S. jobs, exports, jobs, and economy as a whole? Almost like it was planned...

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

There's still a problem...
without "conscripted" labor.... the extractions costs will be a lot higher than those that come out of Africa and China...

There's still a lot of untapped resources here in the states...
I remember hearing about one company trying to open a Diamond mine right there on the Colorado Wyoming border along highway 285 just north of Virgina Dale...

They found Diamonds and some were pretty good quality too... but without the blessing of DeBeers... they couldn't sell at fair market value...

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I come from around that area originally, and ANY kind of work would be welcome to the people there. If you don't own farmland, there is really nothing there but dirt and meth.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
The early settlers chose land on a first-come, first-served basis. Since the land had not been surveyed, no "legal description" could be registered to prove ownership, and improvements that were made belonged to whomever held the title to the land.

ahh the early days of elk creek,,,

ahhhh yes,,,

Settlers had to attend the sale and "purchase their own land" or lose it to "land sharks," who were looking for bargains. This posed a problem to most "squatters," since they generally had little cash-money available. Andreas records: "...speculators offered [settlers] land warrants...with a face value of $150, but sold for $200 each. Interest was at the rate of 40-percent." Using only the land for security, it was usually just a matter of time before the "bankers" got a good share of the interest on the warrants, and the land as well. "Desperate as the offer was, it was largely accepted...and dozens of the ablest settlers became dispossessed of their premises."

carefull,,, but i think they might be still around,,,,

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
A Methodist church was built in 1877, and in 1882 the town was said to have a population of about 200 and "bids fair to improve materially." Incorporation papers were filed on April 23, 1883.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh its a Corporation already,,,,hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

HELLO wake up,,,

Corporation

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Damn left-wing traitors! Strip-mine the entire state of Nebraska I say. Who needs the damn state anyway? What have they done for us? We have plenty of corn from elsewhere.

The U.S. used to produce rare earths through the Mountain Pass Mine in California, but it was shut down in 2002, primarily because of environmental concerns, including the spillage of hundreds of thousands of gallons of water carrying radioactive waste into a nearby lake.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
sounds like marketing pr to me .... US labour will be competitive with china only after the hyperinflation of dollar

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
All right, Nebraska! The Rare Earth Husker state! But seriously, you guys are going to need a break after this drought. I hope the miners have the sense to unionize.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by SirMike

There's still a problem...
without "conscripted" labor.... the extractions costs will be a lot higher than those that come out of Africa and China...

BS with modern open pit mining mines in the US can move more tons cheaper then the rare earth mines in China any day.
They are still using picks and shovels in the Chinese mines where we use 100 ton 777c haul trucks and 992 loaders.
I worked in US open pit gold mines in Nevada and know how they work.
www.aggregate-us.com...
www.lexmrs.com...&%20992%20front-end%20loader%20%28Right%29.jpg
We moved 10,000 tons of rock a shift and never broke a sweat in the air conditioned cab of my loader.
You would need 3000 thousand Chinese to keep up with 10 skilled open pit miners in Nevada.

Its not the miners that is the problem in the US its the treehuggers.
when it takes 10 to 20 years to get the permits to open a mine in many areas of the US because of lawsuit after lawsuit by the tree huggers.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Im fairly certain that you will find that China now use machines for mining, they are the richest nation in the World.

What is going to be the downfall of China, is the same thing that has happened in the West.

As people become more afflutent, they will start to demand more rights, eg, less working hours, paid leave, Workers compensation and insurance, more holidays etc etc. As Women become self aware, then starts the Political correctness, Womens rights, etc etc. Peopel are getting older there, like the West, so they will need more elderly infastructure, Pensions, Hospitals etc etc. The Poor and subsistance living will be revolting.

More pressure from the West to be "Clean", will destroy many of Chinas backyard industries, dirty Power, poor sewage, lack of clean water, Air Pollution, Environmental Impacts, etc etc.

Basically China is heading for Implosion, possibly another Revolution...It just doesnt know it yet.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join