It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if we ARE the cause of the next mass extinction?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
What if humans+greed and other personality flaws + technology are a mass extinction? What if we by shear stupidity extinct 98%-99% of all life on earth by our advanced technology that is weaponized to destroy entire eco-systems easily. Look at the Japan disaster,HAARP,Nuclear weapons,gmo, toxic waste dumps and emissions, green house gases, new pathogenic germs, new infectious virii.

What if we cause it?
edit on 4-8-2011 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-8-2011 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by John_Rodger_Cornman

That is not hard to imagine for some reason especially with big wars. All that negative energy has got to attract some negative outcome.

good question
edit on 8/4/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
You cant bee 99% extinct....either your extinct or your not.........

Stop worrying, we will be around for many many more years. People have been fearing the end of the world since we became social animals with a language.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I'd say it's a given really, at least I'm completely convinced that man is an out-of-control, evolutionary monster. No 'what if's for me, its more a matter of 'how soon?'.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
The coming technological Singularity guarantees we will cause the next mass extinction.

No need worrying about whether it will or will not happen. It's a foregone conclusion.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by John_Rodger_Cornman

We are. For profit. and to 'protect the economy.'

S&F&

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
We are already in a global extincion event and have been for around 10,000 years, its referered
to as the holocene extinction. Many species of animal have been made extinct as a result of
our activities, most notably mammoths, giant elk, wooly rhino's, sabre toothed cats and even
neanderthal man have fallen foul of human beings, and 100s of thousands more that noone
remembers except palentologists who specialize in the subject. As our technology and
populations have grown so to has the rate at which extinction is ocuring, an average of 140,000
species per year are disapearing, our catalogue of species is very incomplete so we have
probably killed many off before even discovering them

A recent study published this month warns that our ocean's ecosystems are on the verge of
total meltdown, because of relentless over fishing and the huge amounts of waste dumped
in them, and the land based systems are not fairing much better either. The scariest thing
about all this is that its happening independantly of any climate change. At the rate these
things are happening and how they speed up in comparison with our expanding populations
I dread to think what the world will look like in 50-100 years time.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
i have often thought of this too, my crazy thought centered around the LHC and the "god" particle, what if by finding the higg's boson it set off a catastrophic explosion like the big bang that took us back to day 1

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
We are the cause of the current mass extinction. Hundreds of species go extinct every year because of deforestation alone.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
will never happen...do you think people are so dumb as to mess with things that they know nothing about...this is the only place people can live....there no way people would destroy,harm,or miss use this planet, and or the other people on it.........hahahahaha........i saw something a few months ago about a group trying to make mini black holes....how much dope do you have to take to make that sound like a good idea........

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by morrow2112
will never happen...do you think people are so dumb as to mess with things that they know nothing about...this is the only place people can live....there no way people would destroy,harm,or miss use this planet, and or the other people on it.........hahahahaha........i saw something a few months ago about a group trying to make mini black holes....how much dope do you have to take to make that sound like a good idea........

Creating black holes?

Are they insane? Next lets create a "strangelet" and turn earth into a super dense strange matter.

top topics

join