It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elenin Coma Diameter Exceeds 200,000 km says Leonid Elenin

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
Just wait and see. Hopefully nothing will happen. BUT, you all act like you know for sure that nothing will happen. Just remember, so far, in the history of the world, EVERYTHING that everyone "knew" has ALWAYS turned out to be WRONG. It is the height of hubris to think that NOW we are right about everything..

Best line in this thread. How come that is, that any time someone states something will happen, someone else states that there is no way anything will happen, and that you are dumb for thinking something will happen? Is it becauase you have NASA and scientists on your side? Yet, most of the time when they state something, you don't believe that either. Again, I just thought the bolded line above was epic. Thank you CaptChaos.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ChachiArcola

I don't think it is fair to make the statement that science always got it wrong and use the flat Earth theory as an example. The true academics of that time didn't believe the Earth was flat nor that it was the center of the Universe. This was the imagination of the church leaders and speaking against these "men of God" was seen as blasphemous and punishable by death.

Early sailors of this world are said to have had maps of a circular Earth. The ancient pyramid builders of both Egypt and the Americas knew not only that the Earth was a sphere but that it also orbited the Sun like all the other planets.

If you were to study these ancient men of science you might see that they were brilliant and would be looked upon as such even today. The stories that you have heard about, like the flat Earth theory or the big bang, were simply the imaginations of religious leaders and are an impetus to true knowledge.

edit on 8/4/2011 by Devino because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Was it not Leonid that discovered this comet so that it is named after him, so it could not have been discovered before, is that logical?
I have not seen any evidence that anyone knew about it till about a year and a half ago. They are only hypothesising it's journey through space now saying it circum-navigates the sun every so many thousands years etc.....
I am perturbed that it is causing a gravity pull on Saturn and Neptune. I will have to find where I read that? Someone from CNN Science Dept said he saw it on an infra red telescope himself and it is either a black hole or a brown dwarf star, not a comet!!!!!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Read it on another ATS thread. Here is the link:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

No way on earth can a Comet can have the effect on our gravity that this thing is. Only a massive object can. The object can not even be seen by experts with normal telescopes. It can be seen with infrared optics as it gives off very little light being a failed star and a giant rust ball.

Former CNN science features news producer, Marshall Masters was on Coast to Coast the other night and he and his group of people have studied this. He has stated beyond a doubt that no Comet exist where NASA claims one does and what does exist is a Brown Dwarf Star as seen by him personally with an infrared Telescope.

There are two things in the galaxy that can have this enormous gravitational pull. A Black Hole or a Brown Dwarf Star.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AstroBuzz

You mean the Sun ?
The closest P1 got to Earth was 0.81 au on 1/16/07...(@ 76 Million Miles from Earth)
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
Closest to SUN...was 0.171 au =15 ,895 ,456 miles (15.8 Million miles) from SUN (1/13/07)
i592.photobucket.com...
Lucky for us it was far away...only got 326 obs#

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Is it safe to come out of the shelter yet???
I was just going to fire up the camp stove and have a fried spam sandwich with a Jack Daniel chaser

Oh well... I guess I will just have to go enjoy my whisky and canned meat outdoors!!!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by kalenga

Marshall Masters is a fear-mongering idiot. I guess you haven't been following the Elenin debate carefully or you'd know the Elenin = Brown Dwarf theory has been fully debunked. A Brown Dwarf in the inner solar system would be incredibly bright and also would probably have destroyed life on our planet by now.

It is because the Brown Dwarf theory has been so thoroughly debunked that uninformed Elenintards now embrace the "Electric Universe" theory as a way for Elenin to deliver the doom and save them from their wretched existence.

And Elenin ain't no Blue Star Kachina unless those Hopis had Superman-like eyesight.

Sorry, DOOM OFF. Life goes on, bills must be paid.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

Looks like the blue star of Hopi prophecy to me.

ETA:

Logman, if it has been here before, no glasses needed.

Also, people years ago knew about Pluto without having seen it.

And also one of the Sirius stars.
edit on 8/4/2011 by 2012srb because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Can i ask where you got your info on Aboriginal legends, simply because i'm fairly interested in it, but seems pretty hard to find much about it as they guard their dreamtime stories very closely and tend not to share them with white people.
I havn't been able to find much on the net and most aboriginal people i know dont know their history (Through no fault of their own)

Sorry i know this is off topic but it grabbed my attention feel free to PM me !

Cheers

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

what was the size of halleys? just curious. i could not see halley-bop but remember when halley came thru in the 1990's. was magnificent and could see it perfectly with naked eye in daytime or night. will never forget how wonderful it looked. and i am in the city and was then also.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

huh interesting. your example of flat-earth sounds alot like what is going on today. the most notable of these quarrels going on is about global warming and climate change. isnt it funny that no matter how much things change, they really dont!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I take what Leonid Elenin says with a grain of sea salt, because you have to ask yourself, if someone sends you an email and tells you to look at a certain spot in the heavens and we know he did, then why is he credited with discovering it when it is clear someone else discovered it and gave him the coordinates to find it and take credit for it.

It is this puzzling little quirk that I just cant get straight in my head over why anyone would do such a thing unless it was part of some elaborate plan, known only to those so compartmentalized to know.

Anyway, these latest findings are intended to be part of the script he is following and so, from time to time he will make an announcement that adds more conspiracy to Comet Elenin that he realizes is needed to further the secret plan.

His statements and observations feed into a certain segment of conspiracies being promoted and so while it is indeed interesting to read what he is finding and reporting about Comet Elenin, I still have to question who he is and why someone would send him an email with the coordinates needed to supposedly discover the comet in December of 2010, just like in the movie 2010 where Saturn goes super nova and something beautiful is happening occurs.

We will no doubt find out soon as the days move us closer to the fall because something tells me by then we will know what the fear mongering was all about.

Thanks again for posting the latest to this ongoing saga regarding Comet Elenin and the supposed finder of such a comet.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2012srb
reply to post by RUSSO

Looks like the blue star of Hopi prophecy to me.

ETA:

Logman, if it has been here before, no glasses needed.

Also, people years ago knew about Pluto without having seen it.

And also one of the Sirius stars.
edit on 8/4/2011 by 2012srb because: (no reason given)

What? A blue smudge on a photo looks like a Hopi Prophecy? Is this a troll? When I see a bright blue light in the night sky it could be called a Blue Star. It isn't visible, it's not the Blue Star.

It has NEVER passed through the inner solar system before.

Was Pluto called a Star? Your analagy makes no sense. Sirius star? What are babbling on about?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

The nucleus of a comet is the hard core. As it falls towards and gets warmed by the Sun, the volatile frozen gasses thaw and sublimate out into space. This fine haze of gas molecules is less dense than smoke.

We call this haze of gasses the comets coma.

As the Solar Wind pushes past the comet, it gently drives the coma in a direction away from the Sun, causing the comet to appear to have a tail "behind it".

The coma and the tail are one and the same.

When they say the coma is more than 200,000 kms, it does NOT neccesarily mean in diameter. The coma was never circular in the first place. It is because we are imaging something so far away that we can't determine if it is a circular, elliptical or linear object.

edit on 4/8/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Original

"Leonid Elenin (Lyubertsy, Russia) reports his discovery"
-----------------------------------------------
Dec. 11.0
Four stacked 300-s CCD images taken with a,
1.5-m f/8 reflector ,,,at the Majdanak Observatory in Uzbekistan on Dec. 11.0 show a teardrop-shaped, very diffuse coma of diameter 6?
(total magnitude 19.1;magnitude of nuclear condensation 20.7) and a tail of length 10?-12? in p.a.298 deg.
------------------------------
Dec. 12.47-12.49 that show the object
to be diffuse with a tail in p.a. about 315 deg.
-------------------------------------------------

The available astrometry, the following preliminary parabolic orbital elements
by G. V. Williams, and an ephemeris appear on MPEC 2010-X101. It is possible
that this comet is of short period.
------------------------------------------------------

So where we at today? in actuall figures,, now that we have a bit of time since the above observations were made.

Anyone?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by letscit
reply to post by CLPrime

what was the size of halleys? just curious. i could not see halley-bop but remember when halley came thru in the 1990's. was magnificent and could see it perfectly with naked eye in daytime or night. will never forget how wonderful it looked. and i am in the city and was then also.

You mean you missed Halley's Comet in 1986. I think it was visible for a few days and it was cloudy in the UK.

Hale-Bopp passed in early 1997 in March-April. I was lucky enough to be in Colorado that winter and Hale-Bopp was an incredible sight for a month. It was 2nd Magnitude and has a 2 pronged tail that stretched 45 degrees. I'll never forget it.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MaxBlack

Where did you get the idea that someone told Leonid Elenin where to look?

I thought he took successive pictures of the same spot in the sky and then compared them to each other. Any dot that appears to move is not a star and so is probably a object worth investigating, which he did, booking time on a larger telescope to get a bit better look.

When you make up stuff, you may think it is brilliant deductive reasoning, I'll just call it a lie.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by letscit

Halley's last apparition was in 1986. It's close approach was 0.42 AU. It was not a spectacular appearance but it was the most impressive I had seen until then.

Hale-Bop appeared in 1995 with a close approach of 1.32 AU.

During the 1910 apparition of Halley's the close approach (0.15 AU) to Earth was closer than Elenin (0.23 AU) will be and the Earth passed through its tail(s) since it passed directly between the Sun and the Earth.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Logman

yes it was halley-bopp then and its was magnificent. thank you

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by letscit

The coma of Halley's comet got to be about 100,000 km long. Relatively small.
Source

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join