It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elenin Coma Diameter Exceeds 200,000 km says Leonid Elenin

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by new_here

I was distracted by "smitten".
But you did say this:

People will freak when this thing appears, larger than life in the sky and they had no warning!!! I will probably freak, and I HAVE had warning.

One third the diameter of the Sun is not huge or larger than life. The news isn't covering it because it is unlikely that it will be visible to the naked eye and if it is, it won't be for months. It is a most unremarkable comet.

edit on 8/9/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Two-thirds, dear, but who's counting. That is a remarkable thing to me. Yes, I did say people would freak when that thing appears "and they had no warning." That there's the clincher. Really they ought mention it. You know, go ahead and get the average joe used to the idea of seeing the new arrival, on the off-chance it reaches -6 magnitude or brighter.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Sorry dude, was at work and in a bit of a rush. My apologies for picking you up wrong.

Peaace out

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by thorfourwinds

Now that you've explained yourself a little I realise I may have taken your fleeting statement out of context. Your intention seems good, but the words you used still make it sound a little irrational.

Also, not sure why you replied and quoted my little reply and then proceded to write a huge reply aimed at me. Again, maybe picked it up wrong, but i seem t eb the only person quoted in your post.

You're totally spot on, however. I've seen the "it's on the cover of the magazine" line quite a few times over the pages. There does seem to be a growing trend of believing proff of something exists without having actually investigated or even seen it.

As fas as I can see, there aint no Elenin or Giant red planet with 3mile tidal wave (wtf?!) on any of the science mags from that era so at elast we can put that one to bed.

No hard feelings, and sorry for jumping the gun dude. Maybe had too much coffee

Peace out..

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Thundersmurf

No problem...work will do that to a person. And I've found that, in this sort of economic state, people who have work are working even harder in an effort to keep that work (...says the unemployed 22-year-old who's still living with his parents). So, it's all good.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by StalkingGoogle

Originally posted by DJW001
I think you need to read up on the difference between an intrinsic planetary magnetosphere and an induced magnetosphere (among other things):

I think you need to learn some elementary physics (among other things). There is no known way to generate a magnetic field except by using electric fields. Period. You can split all the hairs you like or play semantic games all day long, that fact is not going to ever change.

In the case of the magnetosphere/ionosphere, they are plasmas and plasmas naturally form features that are like electrical circuits with lines of current. These lines of current flow are surrounded by magnetic fields which "rotate" perpendicularly around the direction of current flow. The way the magnetic field lines rotate is dependent upon the "right hand rule". Look it up on Wikipedia if you must. Also look up Plasma Physics.

What DJW001 was trying to get at is that magnetic fields can be generated a number of ways. I know you responded that you can't generate a magnetic field other than with an electric current but you are incorrect.

A simple bar magnet has a high magnetic field but NO discernible current or current source.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Hi ATS Members,

Just found this video not sure if it has been posted but did a quick search ,

synerchiflow.wordpress.com... change-now..../

I was trying to find some more updated news about this commet/ufo.. traveling in between the moon and earth very soon,

I hope some people find it interesting, and look further into this topic as it is very important, its so strange how about a year ago any new information on incoming objects are now classified.

Im Aussie and have seen a few strange things in the skies quite often, not so much these days but where I was younger they seemed almost constantly present in the environment

As I belive we may live in a binary star system, this may be a Dwarf star but I would really like to know for sure.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

I know that the coma is made up of dust and gasses expelled from the comet, and is not the comet itself. When the comet is closest to earth...we should be able to see it quite well judging from these numbers.

Please correct me if my drawing or calculations are incorrect! I want to understand this.

Angular Diameter Calculator

Edit: This is of course, the estimated size of the coma as of today. I imagine it will grow or shrink by the time it gets closer to us
edit on 21-8-2011 by DiscoStew because: Additional Info:

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skorpiogurl
I'm not afraid and I really could care less about this, or any other comet for that matter. Not like I have any control over it. In fact, I kinda hope for a disaster of epic porportion to happen daily. Bring on the chaos... I'll sit around and laugh while everyone else is running around in panic-mode, and on fire.

It doesn't make me a bad person, does it?

Not at all. Gallows humor is the spice of life when preceded by an ostensible end.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Hi ATS just replying further,

these images say,

Distance : 188.3 Million KM
1.258496 au

Title-
SPACESHIP/ASTEROID “COMET” ELENIN IS NOW VISIBLE IN AUSTRALIA AND COMING CLOSER TO EARTH – by Dieter Braun (Indian in the machine)

www.youtube.com...

edit on 22-8-2011 by UnReAl2010 because: removed link that was not working

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Got to love the baseless fear mongering.

The coma is only slightly more dense than a vacuum, the earth could go right through it and nothing would happen as its done many times in the past with other comets.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by notsosunny

When did he deny there was a comet named after him? I think you have been sadly misinformed.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by MaxBlack

Where do you see this email where the unknown person told him where to find the comet?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Flyer

I agree, it won't even be on the same plane when it gets near to us based on the data from JPL...there is no way we will be anywhere close to anything resembling a debris field.

It would be cool to see a comet (coma + tail), almost as big as the sun in the sky though!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by DiscoStew

Its has about the same amount of atoms per metre as the "atmosphere" on the moon according to astronomers, thats how insignificant it is.

You probably wouldnt even get a show like you would in a normal meteor shower.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

Im Very Much in agreement with Devino....My concern is with WHATS IN THE MINDS of the people falling for the fear mongering..Bad info which is coming from all directions!!

This in itself makes me want to head for the hills and wait it out....This thing will pass and we will be fine....Give it a Rest.....Is the worry going to save you??..if the threat was even real?
edit on 22-8-2011 by wutz4tom because: grammer

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

where ever was ATS without you!!! you are quite informed and vocal also

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnReAl2010
Hi ATS just replying further,

these images say,

Distance : 188.3 Million KM
1.258496 au

Title-
SPACESHIP/ASTEROID “COMET” ELENIN IS NOW VISIBLE IN AUSTRALIA AND COMING CLOSER TO EARTH – by Dieter Braun (Indian in the machine)

www.youtube.com...

edit on 22-8-2011 by UnReAl2010 because: removed link that was not working

Nice pics in the video. I am wondering, if Elenin is 1.25 au away, meaning just over the sun's distance away from us at the moment, (give or take), just looking at the recent photos of it, it does seem rather large. When you see photos of our sun, (and it is roughly 1,000,000 times larger than earth, it looks like a nice pic that filsl a photo), now this object looks to fill about 1/100 of a photo at roughly the same distance. AM I making any sense? I realize pictures of the sun and elenin can be shot at so many different magnifications, but ultimately at such a far distance I would think there's only so much you can magnify.

So, could elenin's core be 1/100's the size of the sun? I am really WIDELY speculating here, I know, and basing my thought on pics, not any type of mathematical numbers.

edit on 22-8-2011 by SunnyDee because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-8-2011 by SunnyDee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

density does not equal mass

a remnant of such density,,
could be the size of a tea-cup,,,

its physics.

no the pictures are of,,
G19 +03 a remnant,,
g19's little parting shot.
and apparently were the X marks the spot

edit on 22-8-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

"could be" seems to be the magic word.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Flyer

Here is what i don't understand.... If they are able to see the size of the coma now, which I assume they can because astronomers are stating the size of it....why won't we be able to see it just as well as it gets closer?

Viewing angle? Distance from the Sun?

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join