It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North East Of Scotland Inundated With WWII Explosive Relics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Within the past couple of weeks the North East of Scotland has been inundated with stories off World War 2 explosive devices in the sea and on land.

First story is about Aberdeen Airport.

WW2 bomb discovered at Aberdeen Airport

Army experts were called to Aberdeen Airport after a suspected Second World War bomb was found. The device was discovered at the airport at around 9am on Monday 1st Aug during work to extend the runway. It is thought it could date from the Second World War when the airfield was an RAF base.

Second Story near a BP Pipeline

BP pipeline closed to remove unexploded WW2 mine

A pipeline off the north-east of Scotland has been shut down for five days while a Second World War mine is removed from the seabed. The unexploded device was discovered in the North Sea, off the coast of Peterhead, just a few feet from the BP Forties pipeline. The German wartime mine was found on March 22 in about 300ft of water during a routine survey of the line.

Third Story

Bomb scare after prawn fishermen land wrong sort of shell

Fishing for prawns off Peterhead, skipper David Alexander thought his latest catch was nothing more than a rusted old gas canister. So he kept it on board for a week. But when he and his crew landed the unusual catch, it sparked a major incident, which sealed off Europe's busiest white-fish harbour for six hours amid a bomb scare. The 48in-long, 12in-wide, torpedo-shaped object was spotted on the quayside and reported to police and Royal Navy experts came to make the bomb safe. The object, believed to be a 70-year-old shell from an anti-submarine weapon from the Second World War, was later blown up in a safe area.

So many bombs and in such a short space of time. This kind of story usually pops up once in a blue moon. 3 finds within a couple of weeks!! It will be great bomb practice for the authorities!!!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
nice post op
being from scotland i done a little research
lots of german subs operated of the shetlands
with a little help from the neighbours
i wont divulge anymore lol

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Did the mod not, sink WW2 Ammunition and bombs somewhere near there years ago. I will need to search. I remember reading something on that years ago.

Oh well as long as no one touches them, then they will be oks.

new topics

join