It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pathetic: Black 4-Year-Old Misquoted To Sound Violent!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+30 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
This is the main reason why EVERYONE should turn off their TVs.

I hope he grows up to do just what he said he wanted to.

A CBS news station is under fire after it misquoted a 4-year-old boy making him purposely sound violent on the air.

In the video, the child tells a reporter from WBBM that the shootings don't scare him and that, when he grows up, "I'm going to have me a gun."

The comment made it seem like the streets of Chicago had a future criminal on their hands. But the comment was taken out of context as the station only aired the comment and not what came after.

"I want to be a police officer," said the kid. WBBM TV's reporter responded, "Well then you will have a gun for sure."

Source

Racism?

That is so very, very wrong. Sadly, I am not surprised. And if I were that baby's father I would sue.

edit on 4-8-2011 by RUSSO because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

Racism and stereotyping of the highest order!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Sensationalism at its worst. That is really pathetic and the news station should be investigated, and possible shut down for such blatent disreguard for the truth.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

That is messed up but whats confusing is since when does owning a gun make you a bad guy it would seem that the kid was not going along with the guns are bad spin they wanted to portray so it would seem they did what all anti gun nuts do misquote and deny resposability.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

This is a shame for a news station to exploit a child in such a manner. As long as we allow
the MSM to spoon feed this kind of garbage to us, they will continue to do so.

But, as always, they will make a small apology and continue to tow the party line. Keep the
masses busy with this, so we can continue working behind the scenes. This station needs to
be shutdown.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
They pull this kind of crap all the time. All of the media does it.

It's ALL spin... to promote fear and controversy. It keeps their ratings high and the money flowing.

This one, is particularly disgraceful.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

Definitely and Egregiously WRONG!!! Every 4 year old I know wants to have a gun when they grow up. Race doesn't matter. They are small, and even at 4 years old, they realize a gun is an equalizer. It is the only thing that keeps our civilized world......civilized.

The Gun Is Civilization"

By Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret)---> (Not the Original Source, but I can't find the real one at the moment)

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that's it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force.

The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gang banger, and a single guy on equal footing with a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we'd be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a [armed] mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger's potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat - it has no validity when most of a mugger's potential marks are armed.

People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser.

People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal force watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level.

The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weight lifter. It simply wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation...

And that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.

edit on 4-8-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
This is inexcusable. The station should be required to air an explanation of what happened and why, show the full clip of the interview with the boy and offer an apology to him. Whoever did the editing on that clip should be fired.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I agree with you.

But what makes me more angry is how TPTB use this kind of artifices to create racism. Why they dont do this with a white child?

You see, there is a racist agenda which mass media insists on perpetuating. This makes me sick.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

Mass Media perpetuates shock and drama. They don't care if it is accurate or not, as long as it gets people upset. People who are upset do several things.......#1, they talk and draw more attention to the media outlet, #2, they look for ways to feel better, and that benefits advertisers, because in our world, feeling better means spending money.

Yes, the media is to blame for a large part of our country's ills!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
We all seem to agree that this violation needs som remediation, punishment, censure - because the respondents thus far can all see how wrong this is.

The REAL PROBLEM is the number of people who took the original clip as gospel and ran with it - that is the great value of this type of propaganda to those who spew it forth in the public forum. It's all about the shock value and resonance with preconceived or preordained intellectual susceptability to ideation coming from the TV. Get your story on the tube, doesn't matter if it's true, nobody ever watches the follow-up anyway. Some of the best work of this type is done in those tiny commercial soundbites hawking the top story on the local news - with the continuous repetition over prime time TV viewing, the actual story doesn't even have to run as the public has been conditioned by repeatedly listening to the "news" commercials. Be wary!

ganjoa

edit on 4-8-2011 by ganjoa because: gnilleps

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Before everyone gets all bent. Have you considered it just could of been an editing mistake and they cut the recording points wrong.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by professornurbs

NO. The notion is absurd - we didn't buy it when Nixon's 18 minute gap showed up during Watergate investigations. These people are broadcast media professionals.
What planet are you from anyway?

ganjoa

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
More than racist intent it's sensationalist intent. If they get a shocking soundbite from someone white, they'll use that. They'll use whatever is "shocking". And the media would not be doing it if people wouldn't be juicing themselves up on sensationalism or "news as a form of entertainment". It happens on this very site a thousand times a day. Stuff is taken out of context to cause indignation and turmoil...all because reality appears "boring" to the desensitized. We all pay to watch movies that are shocking and violent and thereby keep feeding the beast.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
You dont have to insult me. I have done some editing before and have missed points. You mean to tell me that you never seen them run a wrong video to a story, or the video image cuts off all off a sudden. I like to think there is good in people and they didnt intentionally do that.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Sensationalism ? Yes...., Disgusting?? Yes........ But,,,,,,,,,,,,Its a sad world when parents let their 4 year old stand on the street after a shooting and then let them talk to the media about it.
What wont people do to get themselve's or their kids on tv nowaday's?????
edit on 4-8-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by professornurbs

If you are right, NOW it’s time for everyone involved to resign. Or be fired.

Show me THIS news.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
@Russo Show you what news? News where they made mistakes? OK man, ill watch news all day to day and record the news and hopefully get a mistake. LOL! It does happen. they will talk about 1 story run a wrong tape and then the news caster will go obviously that image didnt go to the story. The other thing that happens is when they send the image into the news room to be edited by satellite, you have one guy who shoots it another who edits it and they confirm what to pick up for the story and confuse that sometimes.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
honestly guys, how does this suprise you?

the televison news is purely for entertainment purposes.

i always get a laugh when i flip on the telly and hear a barbie doll "journalist" born in the nineties explain criminal behavior or "analyze" politics.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

They probably do have a future criminal on their hands. Why when most children are asked the same question do they say "I'm going to become a police officer." ?

This kid is what's wrong with society and I am sure they are only playing the race card to make the station apologize, if my kid had said that he would have gotten smacked in the chops.
edit on 4-8-2011 by ldyserenity because: spelling error

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join