It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help with windows problem.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I keep getting a warning notice that I have to register my vista. I believe windows shuts down after a while if I don't. Last time this happened I put in the number supplied and it refused to accept it so I ended up using my recovery disc to take it back to factory condition. This of course costs me everything passwords, bookmarks and I have to set everything up with my ISP again. Would really appreciate any advice on this problem.
Not sure if it's a virus. I run Norton 360 and its re-boot did not work nor it's deep scrub.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by goldentorch

Funking windows...

i got stuck with same WGA...???

"not a genuine copy of windows BLAH BLAH BLAH.,,,"

i gave up, sorry and reinstalled another OS...

and like U said , hassle...

i am sure that someone else will come on any second and tell us how to fix...!

good luck !

seeya
edit on 4/8/2011 by shaneR because: typo

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
You may have a compromised key (since you said "last time this happened") From what i understand (although i have never personally done it) you can contact Microsoft.

That's assuming you have a legit windows (or at least you fully believe it to be legit), then check here: support.microsoft.com... then move your mouse over on the left menu to "Contacts" for options.

If you are running a naughty naughty hacked one, then can't really help other then to say there are "solutions" out there but you're on your own.

edit on 4-8-2011 by elcapitano75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
How long have you had Vista installed ?
If its around 90 days then that is a genuine authentication question provided you have not registered in the past.
Or your previous product key did not work.

Vista and Windows 7 give a grace period of 90 days to enter a product key.
After this the background desktop picture will disappear and you will be able to use the pc for 2 hours before it turns its self off.

If you don't have a product key then shame on you.
There are key generators out on the web but they only postpone this registration problem until a later date and M$ is always releasing updates to windows that then root out the fake windows keys you may have entered.

The best solution would be to install 'xmarks' and sync your book marks to the cloud.
Then backup your data.
After this install something like Linux Mint and restore your book marks back using xmarks.

The only downside is that you have to learn over again a new operating system (not a bad thing).

even though I have an MCP in Microsoft products, I would rather use Linux.
The more I found out about the internals of windows the less I wanted to know about windows operating system.

After all, you can't put lipstick on a pig.

Hope it helps.
edit on 4/8/2011 by diddy1234 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Had the same bought a new laptop with genuine windows on it.went back to the shop but said could not understand why that was.After a few search i downloaded wgaremoval tool and it works great.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Dude, upgrade to Win7. Vista is a joke...

With your problem...like others have said it, it is an obvious fake.

Multiple solutions out there bro...wgaremover tool only removes the notification. As long as win auto updates are set, you gonna still face problems.

Other than that, if can't afford it, due to the current crises, there are alternatives. Seek and you shall find.

Peace

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
It's not fake it was the system installed in the computer bought from PC World in the UK two years ago. In my stupidity I twisted their arm for a larger screen instead of an upgrade of vista from the basic so missed out on the free upgrade to 7. Might have to buy 7
Will check out the microsoft site and backup my files 'cos it maybe I might have to run a full restore again.
I have a VM on my hard drive precisely for looking at linux so that might be the way to go. Just need to keep it going for now till I can get my head round a new OS.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Do a google search for "windows 7 repository". They explain in great detail how to install windows and register it so you won't get messages like you are getting.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   

hahahaha pc world
i had to fix a pc at a medical center
after it had just come bk from pc world
they dont know their arse from their elbow
spotty teenagers that know nothing
hahhaha

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I think you might be confusing registration and activation.

Is activation the same as registration?
No. Activation is required, but registration is not. Activation is the process of ensuring that your copy of Windows is used according to the Microsoft Software License Terms, whereas registration is the process of entering information (such as your e‑mail address) to sign up for product support, tools and tips, and other product benefits.

windows-vista-update.com

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by davesmart

hahahaha pc world
i had to fix a pc at a medical center
after it had just come bk from pc world
they dont know their arse from their elbow
spotty teenagers that know nothing
hahhaha

Oh thank you that gives me hope for a solution.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

No it's the activation it's asking for. The dialogue box with the bunch of keys in it.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
You said you've had the computer for two years. how often has this happened?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

Second time.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

Give me five minutes sir, still using it and I have a few days grace will attempt that first chance I get.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

What program would you suggest I open it with or should I let windows search online and take it's suggestion
2nd

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join