It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Don't Our Schools Appropriately Teach the Constitution?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
First, let me start out by offering my endless thanks to the world wide web, for if it did not exist, I do not think I'd be as informed as I am. Onto the topic: I did not learn in school much of anything about the Constitution, except that it was the founding document and supreme law. We covered the first four amendments or so but nothing beyond that, and nothing extensive. We did not read it or study most of its contents. Our history books talked of it very briefly. Our instructor made no mention of it mandating the Congress to use gold and silver as coin. What does 'redress of grievances' mean? It took me a while to find the answer, and most Americans do not and will not ever know. The right to abolish our government and start anew? Never mentioned either.

What happened?
edit on 8/4/2011 by ForeverDusk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
The Constitution?? Schools don't even teach cursive anymore!

"With all the other subjects we must teach, we just don't have the time to spend a lot of effort on cursive," said Carl Brown, principal of Manatee Elementary in Viera, Fla.

www.usatoday.com...

Stop relying on the schools and teach your children yourself!!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
A question I ask myself every time I see a post on this thread by people complaining about how our Democracy is broke... Trying to explain to them that we live in a Representative Republic and not a Democracy is enough to make my brain bleed.

I get the impresion that it does not seem all that important to schools for some reason. We could go down the sonspiracy road and talk about how we are shifting towards the mindset of a world government. By not educating our young people about how our government works makes it easier to make changes to that very system without people realizing it.

It makes it easier to keep electing morons into office when our younger generations dont realize our founding fathers never meant for politicans to become a ruling class.

Then again maybe if we funded our educaton at the exact same level as our military, we might be better off than we are now?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
This has probably been posted here before, but I think George Carlin was pretty insightful when he explained the deterioration if the education system in his American Dream piece. Please be aware that it contains some coarse language.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
They don't teach the constitution for the same reason they teach nationalism over patriotism. For the same reason we have a cartoon on nickelodeon teaching kids chinese. They are bringing up children without a sense of national identity because our nation will not exist for much longer if they get their way. They are being formatted, but the programming will come at a later time.

This is a period of limbo. These kids now are blank slates ready for the implementation of corporatist ideology and consumerist brainwashing. They are being taught all about how wrong their parents are in their beliefs. They want children to turn on their parents. It happened to me in the fourth grade, and I would immagine it is much worse now.

True story. I'm 33 years old, when I was in the fourth grade, two police officers came into the classroom with marijuana and used a pump/pipe apparatus to spread the smoke around the classroom. Then they asked the kids who recognised the smell to raise their hands.

The government wants your kids. They want them to be good little consumerist slaves. They want them to tell the counselors about what kind of terrible parents you are. Your children are your greatest vulnerablility. Prepare for them to be weaponized by public schooling and aimed directly at you.

Homeschooling is the only way to go. Costly, yes, time-consuming, yes, but think of what you can save. You can save your family. It is the intent of public schooling to break families apart. Denial of this is asinine.

Pull your children from the corruption and social engineering experiment that is public schooling. It is much more harmful to them than you can immagine.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Because they want no one learning the truth.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
They don't teach it because the Constitution and the Bill of Rights are terrorist propaganda. Reading it is dangerous because then children would become indoctrinated with anti-American ideas like freedom and liberty. Good thing they don't cover those extremist ideologies.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
because the only way to successfully subvert the establishment is to portray the Constitution as out-dated, just a silly piece of paper or simply old and useless. The best way to achieve this goal is as the old adage says: out of sight, out of mind ... and unfortunately, it has worked far too well.

Often, the copy of the Constitution discussed or displayed in public is incorrect .. i often wonder how many peeps are even aware. Children aren't even taught the difference between UNalienable and INalienable rights. This is another 'change' often gone un-noticed or dismissed.

It is beyond a sad failure of the public school system but it is a greater failure of the inhabitants of this great land ... we are failing our children worse than our government ... no wonder the children are taught to rebel rather communicate ... no wonder our focus has shifted from unification to separatism ... it begins at home.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ForeverDusk
First, let me start out by offering my endless thanks to the world wide web, for if it did not exist, I do not think I'd be as informed as I am. Onto the topic: I did not learn in school much of anything about the Constitution, except that it was the founding document and supreme law. We covered the first four amendments or so but nothing beyond that, and nothing extensive. We did not read it or study most of its contents. Our history books talked of it very briefly. Our instructor made no mention of it mandating the Congress to use gold and silver as coin. What does 'redress of grievances' mean? It took me a while to find the answer, and most Americans do not and will not ever know. The right to abolish our government and start anew? Never mentioned either.

What happened?

We had copies of the Constitution and the declaration of independence in our school and I remember a clear understanding these documents were part of the reason we were considered a free people and not an empire or a communist country.

What schools need to teach is a better understanding of the financial world, the stock market and creating a personal budget and sticking with it. Schools need a Suze Orman course in financial management and not only would we not be in such debt now neither would the country as a whole.

I filed a bankruptcy years ago and part of that involved a study course in finances and how to create a budget and how to live with your means. Pay yourself first. To tell you the truth no one had ever presented the equation like that before and I was shocked. If I knew all this before I started using the charge cards and got into the debt it would have helped a great deal, in fact I am certain it never would have happened.

I remember thinking, although it was a little like closing the barn door after the horse already got out...this information makes so much sense, why wasn't it taught in school?

Simple finances.
They might also bring back music, and art.
Without music or art we will d-evolve into a country of lunks and thugs without appreciation, observation, or sensitivity.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProphecyPhD

"With all the other subjects we must teach, we just don't have the time to spend a lot of effort on cursive," said Carl Brown, principal of Manatee Elementary in Viera, Fla.

www.usatoday.com...

Are you forgetting the OP is the one who brought the topic up?
To bark out orders like this...

Is a little disingenuous grandstanding since the OP is clearly concerned about childrens education or they would not have brought up the topic. It sounds a little like you might be agreeing with the OP or else trying to start another topic with the cursive. In any event I think the OP presents a good question and should not be derided for making it evident and asking an excellent question.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

have to agree on most points and would add ... nutrition studies NEED added to the curriculum.
If only we would learn that we are what we eat, then, perhaps teaching that lesson would become important, naturally.
kudos for mentioning Suzie Orman, she rocks

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

Oh yea, more than anything they need americans to be lovers of debt or at least see debt, loans ect to be the only real tools to having anything in this world and having folks see themselves as independent economic entities.

Look at the way generation after generation just follows the debt cycle. I knew of five families that moved into a house and had it payed off in a few years....and then used that on another home and then another and after about 10 years all five owned their homes free and clear....by working as a team rather than by the american model of isolated economic entities with 30 year loans.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Because the majority of funding for schools now comes through the Federal Department of Education, and the Federal entities have no desire to create a bunch of kids growing up realizing that the Constitution was written as a guide and insurance policy for the people to limit the Federal Government.

Every other law on the books is about limiting the rights of the people.

Only one document stands to limit the rights of the government===> The Constitution!

So, there has been a war against the Constitution for the past 100 years or so, maybe longer. Politicians hate it, because it limits their power.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I once heard it said that the government always gets what it is paying for.... which would necessarily mean that they are not spending money on education to actually teach.

Education should always have been treated as an art. The spreadsheet-worshiping crowd however, believes that a mechanistic and standardized approach to education is "better."

The Constitution of the United States is apparently a lower priority. But parents are, to a notable extent, responsible for allowing the change to happen without much resistance. For example, recently there was nearly a riot in at a school board meeting where the possibility of eliminating the baseball/football program due to budgetary concerns....

So instead, they opted to eliminate several less important classes like music, classic literature, and philosophy.

"Sports" the outraged parents insisted, "teach children about leadership."

Yeah... right. That's why all the important achievements of mankind were brought about by jocks.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I fall in that "spreadsheet-worshipping, jock" crowd!!

Yet, I still agree with you. Education cannot be assembly-line oriented. Every student and every teacher has a unique relationship. Some people learn by instruction, some by experimentation, and some by self-study. Some teachers excel at demonstration, while some excel at oration. Some teachers are extremely knowledgeable in a subject, but poor communicators, while others are expert communicators, but they have to learn the subject along with their pupils.

Sports does teach teamwork, leadership, and cooperation. It is very important to the development of a young perosn.

Music and Literature and Art teach the brain new and exciting ways to see things and experience the world and develop synapses that will give their young brains problem-solving ability.

I think we entirely agree on the outlook for education. We must stop compromising the future of our children! Then need it ALL! Art, Science, Athletics, Music, Mathematics, Literature, small class-room sizes, technology, knowledgeable teachers with communication skills, safe environments, etc., etc., etc.

We have failed miserably when we start valueing one subject or one approach over another. They need it all, and as parents and leaders in our communities, we must DEMAND they get it ALL!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ForeverDusk

Because that's reserved for those who can afford an education. Nothing a commoner needs to know. Where 's my whip?

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ForeverDusk

What happened ?

People have been conditioned to accept the media presentation of reality as truth. That's what happened. Most peoples' identities are sustained by how they are created and reinforced in the media. If the media can perpetuate the illusion, they profit off of your ignorance. You'll buy the products, you'll buy the propaganda--your identities depend on the maintenance of materialism as the primary functional paradigm of western civilization.

If you want to restore the principles embodied in the Constitution, you need to understand what undermines them. Selfish, ignorant, complacent materialism. Those are the things you need to fight, and it can't be done through government.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

I'm guessing for the same reason they don't teach accurate history - only propaganda. Many here seem to think there is some PC, dumbing down of the curricula across the country, but I don't see it that way. Black history month, a special look at historical women and inclusion of "gay" figures in history do not serve any agenda other than separating and marginalizing the sanctioned historical narrative.

If you're going to teach history (including the history of this country) you need to include the good and the bad, the beautiful and the ugly. The Constitution should be taught lightly in early grades and made into a course on governance in HS. History should also be taught as completely as possible - all versions of major events. As it stands, and as I remember, in public school, history is taught in the following order:

-Columbus, Magellan, Hudson and Da Gama (no context, just "discovery" narrative)
-Pilgrims helped by Indians
-Some Indians died when they got blankets
-The Boston Tea Party (No taxation without representation...further context???)
-The Revolutionary War
-Louisiana Purchase / Louis and Clarke
-Mexican American War (Manifest Destiny not really explained in context)
-Slavery Bad ...the Civil War (Why wasn't slavery explained in context? Latin American slavery? Why weren't other aspects not regarding slavery explained? Don't get me wrong, I'm no apologist for slavery...)
-Remember the Maine (Spanish-American War not really explained in context)
-(WWI whoosh...) WWII (context?)
-Civil Rights
-USSR...communists evil...
-9/11? (As for my generation, I stop at the USSR, but I assume this is a new stage added to the curricula)

Did we skip anything important? Boy howdy. Do the mindless tidbits and trivia that stick in the mind exist in a void? No, but as adults we can see how the news is presented as though it does, too...so, chalk it up to training for an adulthood devoid of critical thinking and logical analysis.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

The Conxtitution isn't taught because most teachers are hard core leftists and don't beleive it is valid anymore.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProphecyPhD

www.usatoday.com...

The real problem is we allowed the Government to get involved in Education to begin with. If the Government would stop taking taxes for education and allow people to pay for and select what schools they want their children to go to, you would see the quality of education shoot through the roof. Instead we have a choice, public school or private school. Which public school you attend is decided by your zip code. However we pay for private schools, which are notably better than public schools. Why is that?

The answer is simple. When people pay for anything they want to get the most for their money. When you apply this to education, people will not pay for second best. So you create competition between schools to provide the best education possible...because they want your business. Look at some of the public schools in the USA, would you pay for that kind of education if you actually had a choice? Would you send your kid to a school with a 65% drop out rate, in a bad neighborhood surrounded by hookers, crack heads and dope dealers if you could just drive a few extra miles up the road to a school in a nice neighborhood, with a 90% graduation percentage?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join