It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the date format being changed?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
It shouldn't shock you too much. After all it's why people refer to September 11 as 9/11.

If it had happened anywhere else in the world, it would be referred to as 11/9.

Oh, and ATS uses the dd-mm-yyyy format and it drives me nuts here in the USA.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Well at least the Americans recognise that the true 'international' standard is dd-mm-yy.

If you are travelling to the USA, the official documents such as Customs Declaration Form require you to sign and date in dd-mm-yy format.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cryptonomicon
It's changeable in your prefs. My ATS dates are yyyy.mm.dd, (periods, not dashes or slashes) the way I prefer them, personally.

(Actually, I really prefer the MC Escher method of using roman numerals for the month, so today would be 2011.VIII.04, for instance… but I don't often come across computer systems that use roman numerals…)
edit on 2011.8.4 by JoshNorton because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

Cause it makes more sense saying the date from the smallest to the greatest - day, month, year.

Or maybe it makes more sense going from largest to smallest, just like we do with time. This is what those in Asia do as far as I know.

2011-08-04 (This format also keeps things in sequential order!)
edit on 4/8/2011 by octotom because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I have some discussion on this matter and I would hope others will take the time to read these concerns.

While some will ignore this thread and not give it one second of consideration unless you're one of those special people that seeks to change how ATS runs the website, others may find this posting a needed statement of fact.

Well, if you are one that seeks ATS to change, then you are going to hear some rhetoric that just might remind you that the world does not revolve around those who write the date backwards compared to how we write it in the USA. I mean really, if you visit a American site, you should expect what you find, but to demand a change as if it actually benefits anyone other than you is a blatant lie.

While many will see this issue as being an "international necessity" to do global business in the world, I see this another way and in the process, it will also show all Americans an example of a failed effort by many governments to introduce and attempt to steer, guide or control the mechanism of "Multiculturalism" into the very fabric of everyday affairs.

ATS is an American website, created, developed and operated on the basis that it was American first. Those that come to ATS could always communicate with each other and post articles based on the standard of American English, and American protocols.

While the business model has grown to include global viewers, I still contend that we should not be changing our ways to appease someone in some different country because its not the way they do it. As if it actually matters for anything meaningful in life. I mean, really.

After all, we are in America and we are speaking English, so why would it be "nice" or "friendly" to then begin to start appeasing those from the International community that don't speak our English and who don't write their dates the same way we do?

It is this overly concerned polite effort to change what we do in America that many Americans are fed up with.

We hear many stating if you come to America, learn to speak English. I presume that also means learn to read in English and learn the American ways.

Multi-culturism is a code word for trying to make something easier for a special group that in the process of appeasing such a group, then after it begins to take hold, it begins to infringe on the very group and Americans that created and promoted such a site in the first place.

If ATS wants to get all "International" and in doing so, it wants to begin catering to those from the UK, then how long before we start catering to the Chinese, Russians, Mexicans, Muslims and the rest of the world that comes to American sites to see what we Americans are doing.

While I don't object to any global business catering, what I object to is their needs having priority over Americans. That is why multiculturalism fails because it sets one group over another at the expense of the majority and then expects you to accept it as if it were actually good for something other than just appeasing someone who wants to change ATS into what they think it should be for them.

Well, we are seeing it first hand and while many may not see this as the failed multi-multiculturalism effort that it is, I for one think that anyone coming to an American conspiracy web site should accept the American standard and deal with it, because the only real truthful way to deal with it is to demand that ATS start a UK version of ATS, so that key issues of conspiracy from the UK are covered and of course written so that the date appears normal to them!

Demanding changes in such a way over such a petty thing as a date is to me an example of why multi-multiculturalism is doomed to failure.

Anytime the wants and the ways of the many, the majority begin to take a back seat to the minority is when I feel ATS will learn the hard way that many will just say enough is enough.

If the UK or Europe want an ATS site that caters to their way of doing business, then I would think it would be the sole responsibility of those that run ATS to either create a foreign website that caters to such petty grievances because if you begin changing what was once American in design and function and now say that we are going to be all International and in doing so we are going to change how dates are shown to appease somebody from the UK, then it wont be long before other groups begin the same complaints about something else that we as Americans don't do like they do back home.

What's next for ATS, Sharia Law? Spanish for non English speaking Mexicans? Hand signals for the hearing impaired? Removing all Islamic related images? I mean, think about where it will end. It wont end, it will only get worse and everyone knows this is why trying to appease some group to be "nice" is just plain idiocy.

Well, I said I had some discussion and while I don't for a second expect the many to agree with my thoughts and concerns, I have no doubt whether you do or not, I have confidence that this type of ATS concession will begin something that ATS will probably wish they had never started.

Either create separate web sites for such European date freaks or learn to live with it. I would expect the same attitude from Germans, French people who want to live in their respective country and read and write as if they are in that country.

Catering to the minority or to those from the UK is to me just another example of why things began to go down hill in the media, movies and even in TV shows being used to sell the stuff of big business by introducing more UK types over American actors. I ask myself, how can this be good for America? Well, its not.

Oh well, I think I have made my point. I just hope its not viewed as some nationalistic isolationist effort to protect what is only American, because what I want to protect is the current quality and the state of affairs that people provide to ATS and to me, anything or anyone that changes ATS to appease some UK reading types, to me shows a complete lack of comprehension regarding this matter of using multiculturalism to appease the many when all it does it appease the few while angering the many.

I hope others will see that once ATS begins changing things to appease some minority, it begins to take on all the trappings that come with it. ATS can do better than appease some group, but I know that no matter whether ATS does or does not, that it will not change my perspective on the use of multiculturalism efforts to effect change in business tactics or in how business do business

It is wrong and undermines the very web site that is being asked to change for the benefit of the few. so whenever you see someone asking that ATS begin doing something different to appease someone from the UK, that is when I hope this posting will remind you that we will either say nothing and accept it or we will stand up and say something about it as I have, because the last thing I want is ATS to think that I am in agreement, when I am not.

Not that it really matters whether ATS or others agree or not with my view, but as opinions go, you have heard mine. Now you know why I think this petty issue is just for starters.

Thanks for the thread and if the shoe fits, wear it.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

Maybe because the rest of the world goes, day, month, year. The US way is wrong.
2nd

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton

Originally posted by Cryptonomicon
It's changeable in your prefs. My ATS dates are yyyy.mm.dd, (periods, not dashes or slashes) the way I prefer them, personally.

(Actually, I really prefer the MC Escher method of using roman numerals for the month, so today would be 2011.VIII.04, for instance… but I don't often come across computer systems that use roman numerals…)
edit on 2011.8.4 by JoshNorton because: (no reason given)

Thank you sir. I never looked that closely at the options page. My sanity is restored.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I started writing dates years ago as year, month, and date. So August 4th, 2011 would be "2011.8.4"

That way I could always sort dates in chronological order in data bases and spreadsheets. I thought it would catch on but never really has.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join