It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senator Wyden Demands To Know How Many Americans Are Under Surveillance Under The Patriot Act

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Just like this Senator is demanding, I too want to know just how many americans are under surveillence at these Fusion Centers...

Just my guess, is everybody over the age of 12(when most kids these days get their very own spy device to carry around with them)

But I am in the minority, which is people who actually even care about their privacy... Most people I talk to could care less apparently

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
He can demand all he wants. In the end he gets nothing.

Just the way the government works. Even if a Court demands they turn the numbers over, the government will make some lousy claim that they can't find the info or it was destroyed...etc.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Good post and question, op! I'd also very much like to know who's on that list and suspect that a lot of us ATS users are in there, somewhere.
S&F!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Even if they did release numbers of people under surveillance, I would not trust them to be honest as to the accuracy.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
All of us Senator Wyden....... All of us

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by lowundertheradar
Good post and question, op! I'd also very much like to know who's on that list and suspect that a lot of us ATS users are in there, somewhere.
S&F!

releasing information to the public as to who is under surveillance would devastating to some communities I would think. Just imagine if your neighbor was on the list, what kind of thoughts would you think every time you saw him/her?

Many people are probably under surveillance for very minor reasons, and releasing the names of those people would cause others to imagine the worse...I know I probably would. It would lead to needless mass panic about their neighbors.

This sight is an excellent example of imaginations gone wild. Often a very simple idea or theory will set imaginations on fire and some times the imagination heads to the dark side. We need to have disclosure I agree; but limited to numbers and statistics, and not names in my opinion.
edit on 3-8-2011 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
great,

he want the names too?

you can bet he just signed up for that himself.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Like most naysayers are saying, it probably;y won't work.
But that doesn't mean it should not be tried and pursued.

At one time, the was a law prohibiting surveillance by US Intelligence Agencies for targeting US facilities, assets and personnel with out a lot of justification including getting a FISA warrant.

I believe that process is now obsolete given the Patriot Act. And as the Senator says, that act should not be reauthorized without a reasonable answer to his questions.

I am 100% certain that a single database query can be done on a U.S government intelligence system (I will not name it for obvious reasons) that can provide exactly the statistics (not details or names or location) to answer the senators question. And those statistics should include the root cause for the surveillance request (espionage, criminal, terrorism, drugs. money laundering, etc)

We and all American citizens should support the Senators efforts.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet

Originally posted by lowundertheradar
S&F!

releasing information to the public as to who is under surveillance would devastating to some communities I would think. Just imagine if your neighbor was on the list, what kind of thoughts would you think every time you saw him/her?

Many people are probably under surveillance for very minor reasons, and releasing the names of those people would cause others to imagine the worse...I know I probably would. It would lead to needless mass panic about their neighbors.

This sight is an excellent example of imaginations gone wild. Often a very simple idea or theory will set imaginations on fire and some times the imagination heads to the dark side. We need to have disclosure I agree; but limited to numbers and statistics, and not names in my opinion.
edit on 3-8-2011 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

How would this be any different than people who are on the sex offenders list?
Most of the people on that list are people who pissed in the parking lot of a bar or screwed their 17 year girlfriend
when they were 18.

Will the neighbors take the time to find that out?
NO!!!!
They will just assume you molested a baby while it was still in the womb.

We deserve the right to know who is on these lists but we also need to realize that just because you are on "THE LIST" doesn't mean you're a bad person.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by morder1

Senator Wyden is gonna be portrayed as putting "lives in danger." for even talking about this the Terrorism Industrial complex will set the attack dogs on him.Expect to hear from Chertoff and the other national security talking heads about how this has been blown out of proportion and how Wyden is overreacting if this gains traction.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
A Senator with some testicular fortitude? Now things are getting REALLY strange.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I would say that at least two-thirds of my internet activity is anti-government, whether it's treating myself to the latest news-to-be-outraged-over via this forum or watching Alex Jones rant. I wonder if I'll ever wake up one morning to 12 SWAT team hooligans standing over me with guns drawn. It certainly wouldn't be surprising.

Amerika (that's not a typo) is on its way to becoming an Orwellian nightmare.
edit on 8/4/2011 by ForeverDusk because: sentence structure

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Yeah, when it comes to America becoming a facist police state I no longer tell people it's coming.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I don't know anything about this Wyden fellow, so I can't really call him a hero. But I can say with absolute certainty that what he's doing here is heroic.

/TOA

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
This is the kind of people we need in Congress. I sincerely hope he can get other senators to back him.

BTW. Glad to see Olberman back on Countdown. I like his style.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed

How would this be any different than people who are on the sex offenders list?

I can't even tell if I'm being trolled anymore.

Do you really want me to answer your question or can you handle this one with some googling?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
"How Many Americans Are Under Surveillance"
How Many people IN Americans? same thing.
And millions in other country.
if they dont have them all Under Surveillance yet.
they will over the next couple of years.

in england they have a Surveillance for communications.
you say one of the watch words or text/Email in
and they will listen in on you.
so you see! most of the world is Under Surveillance.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ForeverDusk
I would say that at least two-thirds of my internet activity is anti-government, whether it's treating myself to the latest news-to-be-outraged-over via this forum or watching Alex Jones rant. I wonder if I'll ever wake up one morning to 12 SWAT team hooligans standing over me with guns drawn. It certainly wouldn't be surprising.

Amerika (that's not a typo) is on its way to becoming an Orwellian nightmare.
edit on 8/4/2011 by ForeverDusk because: sentence structure

ForeverDusk i have the feeling many share your justifiable paranoia. i'm often guilty of shooting my keyboard off in anger and later wondering what may someday result from it. it used to be the beauty part of being an amerikan: one could actually speak their mind. things have changed so much in so short a time.

I try to find solace in the bigger picture. Way i figure it, there are some authentic bad people out there. I think authentic threats are the primary target, not every day people who are just pissed off at what they read or see in the media. There are so many millions of people in the usa that the watchers would have to cast wide nets across the waters to see what can be caught. It makes sense to use automated systems that red flag key words; it's just another kind of marketing. No doubt the bulk of the minnows in the net are nothing at all.

As for Orwell, i think we surpassed his wildest nightmares a long time ago.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
So....lets say...we find out how many people are under surveillance....(big deal)....that still does not tell us who they are....and I am thinking... besides...they always have... (remote viewing).

Here is a short written article about the above subject:

articles.latimes.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
To quote the infamous Henry Kissinger:

"The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer."

The whole article is pretty interesting.

It doesn't surprise me that all of us Amerikans are suspected terrorists

top topics

<<   2 >>

join