It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More truth in Satire than in MSM

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
It's sad that you find more truth in an Onion article than in your average MSM economic news.

And hell, as long as we're being honest, I might as well tell you that a truer estimate of the U.S. unemployment rate is actually up around 16 percent, with a 0.7 percent annual rate of economic growth if we're lucky—if we're lucky," continued Bernanke, nearly knocking a full beer over while gesturing with his hands. "Of course, if everybody knew that, it would likely cripple financial markets across the entire ******* globe, even in various emerging economies with self- sustaining growth."

Drunken Ben Bernanke Tells Everyone At Neighborhood Bar How Screwed U.S. Economy Really Is

There is more truth in that short satirical article than I've seen from the Bernanke or Congress in the past two years.
edit on 3-8-2011 by jefwane because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-8-2011 by jefwane because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I think the accepted truth is that real unemployment rate is around 18%..the one that is hovering around 9 something is the folks that are actively receiving unemployment INSURANCE. Not benefits, not entitlements, but insurance..meaning them and their former employers paid into that program.

Disturbing for sure..

My liberal rear end is all in on Dr Paul 2012!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
You make an excellent point.

It does seem that between The Onion, The Daily Show and The Colbert Report you can get more serious news than ABC / CBS / NBC / FOX et al. All one needs to do is read between the lines and there is the real story.

On the other hand, I get more laughs when I watch the Mainstream media outlets, so I guess it's a simple trade-off.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
This I have noticed. I could site many Onion articles, but somebody, and I can't remember who, said "What if when you peel back the layers of the onion you find an elitist propaganda machine."

Honestly, that statement scared the hell out of me.

Laughter is the best medicine, so using the ideology of Big Pharma, overmedicate the population and nobody will even realize what is actually going down.

I would really hate to think that comedy is a weapon, but lately it seems that everything is a weapon.

Scary stuff. But not scary enough to be overlooked or taken lightly.

new topics

top topics

join