It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A quote on power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I once heard a quote about power that went something like this.

"power should be given to a person who does not desire it."

I can't remember who said it or where it came from, but it came up today in a conversation and I would love to know its origins.

Has anyone heard this before?

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by bringthelight

I've never heard the quote but it makes sense.

The problem is that Humans, even the humble, will ultimately abuse that power given to us...we can't help it.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

My suggestion:
Randomly pick ten thousand names out of the phone book.
Select the ten best, smartest, most educated out of those.
No lawyers,cops,politicians allowed.
Let them run the country for 5 years.

edit on 3-8-2011 by RRokkyy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Men who have greatness within them don't go in for politics.
– Albert Camus

Give a good man great powers and crooks grab his job.
– Rick Gaber

And therein lies the problem

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I think it is sad we seem to have no leaders, not one...who really have ethics and morals. At least here in the U.S. Power does corrupt apparently. You'd think that there would be at least one person in Washington who still represents the people. The closest is probably Ron Paul...at least he speaks the truth about where we are heading.

I think that some politicians start out with their hearts in the right place but once they get to Washington they are sucked in by the money and influence and lose their souls, so to speak. Maybe some are even blackmailed into corners....there have been enough scandal stories involving sex and drugs to come out of DC over the years to point to an underground scene of movers and shakers....

Give me a leader that I can get behind! A new King Arthur or something, heh...Someone like George Washington....he turned down the offer to be king....he was able to leave the power behind....

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
You might find this interesting.

Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus was called from his farm to be dictator of Rome in 458 BC, when the Roman army under the consul Mincius was blockaded by the Italian tribe of the Aequi on Mount Algidus. He defeated the enemy, resigned his dictatorship after sixteen days, and returned to his farm.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Google search turned up nothing. You should track the person who said that to you down so you can put their name at the end of that quote. Powerful stuff.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I searched google too and couldn't find a thing. Maybe I made it up and I can put my name after it!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

worf from ds9 to general martok after he kill chancellor galron

worf said "great men do not seek power, its thrust upon them"

or something to the effect.

somewhat of a paraphrase from shakespeare

"some men ore born great,some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them"
edit on 4-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join