It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have a relationship with the creator of the universe?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
When you can let go of that? You will know a greater freedom and you will see the first little glimmers of truth.
Let go of caring for myself? Probably never. If I don't, who will?

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman

Dear Hydroman,

You were invited by a missionary and thought it might please God, I understand that, many go for similar reasons. That is why they get similar results. I would never say that what you did was wrong, I would say that trying to please God misses the point. It is not about pleasing him, it is about loving one another and being in service to one another, that pleases him. When we do it for him we are not showing love for one another as our motivation and he sees that. When we do things with the intent of "pleasing" God then we do them with selfish intent because we want a reward. He said if we followed him our lives would be harder, not easier.

Tell you what, live your life to be in service of others because they matter as much as you do. Give to others, not churches, as much as you can because life here can be darn hard and it is real hard for many right now. Maybe you do these things, I have no way of knowing. A couple of days ago I was in front of my office having a cigarette and a discussion with one of my assistants. A spanish speaking man approached us and asked something, my assistant speaks spanish and told me what he had said, he was with a group of people that needed some food and help. It just so happens that the man who is in charge of security for out building is also a pastor to a spanish speaking congregation and had been a missionary in south and central america for 15 years. I gave the man most of the money I had on me and got my pastor friend who was able to get this man in touch with the assistance he needed. I didn't do it to please God and neither did the pastor, we did it because people were going hungry. I believe that was an example of God talking to me because it says everywhere you see people in need, there I am also. Be well.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
Dear Hydroman,

You were invited by a missionary and thought it might please God, I understand that, many go for similar reasons. That is why they get similar results.
Romans 12:1
“I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship.” (NIV)

This is what I felt like I was doing.

I didn't do it to please God and neither did the pastor, we did it because people were going hungry. I believe that was an example of God talking to me because it says everywhere you see people in need, there I am also. Be well.
What does it mean when people of other faiths and beliefs do the same thing? What about people of no beliefs?
edit on 3-8-2011 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

No that isn't what I'm talking about. NVM.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks

the personal relationship to the creator is the only thing that matters but there are people that can help

with bigger questions that you have, pastors, priests, rabbi's, etc.
I've spoken with two pastors. One came to my house twice and we talked for hours. The other I spoke with over email for several exchanges.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

No that isn't what I'm talking about. NVM.
Please explain.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Dear Hydroman,

It also says that we all have a role to do and that we should give baby food to babies and meat to adults. Clearly, based on your experience, you were not prepared to fill the role that you attempted. I do not believe in using charity or good works as a way to reach others, it is dishonest. I help people without discussing God at all, I only answer those who ask me, I do not care if the person I feed is a believer and don't bring it up. You cannot bribe someone to believe, that is not true belief. The word is quite sufficient on it's own and it does say have an answer for the hope that is inside of you to those who ask.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Dear Hydroman,

You asked, "What does it mean when people of other faiths and beliefs do the same thing? What about people of no beliefs?", it means that they have the heart of Jesus and will be appreciated for such a thing. Yes, I don't think people who don't know the name go to hell, I think people that know his love for us and love each other are already saved. I believe Moses was saved and he did not know the name Jesus; but, he knew his heart.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Dear Hydroman,

It also says that we all have a role to do and that we should give baby food to babies and meat to adults. Clearly, based on your experience, you were not prepared to fill the role that you attempted. I do not believe in using charity or good works as a way to reach others, it is dishonest. I help people without discussing God at all, I only answer those who ask me, I do not care if the person I feed is a believer and don't bring it up. You cannot bribe someone to believe, that is not true belief. The word is quite sufficient on it's own and it does say have an answer for the hope that is inside of you to those who ask.
I never bribed anyone to believe anything. But, the bible does say to go out into the world and spread the gospel. To spread it, you'd have to tell people about it. Can you show me in the bible where it says that you're not supposed to say anything to anyone unless they ask?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Dear Hydroman,

You asked, "What does it mean when people of other faiths and beliefs do the same thing? What about people of no beliefs?", it means that they have the heart of Jesus and will be appreciated for such a thing. Yes, I don't think people who don't know the name go to hell, I think people that know his love for us and love each other are already saved. I believe Moses was saved and he did not know the name Jesus; but, he knew his heart.
Your beliefs differ from the bible. It says that no man comes to the father except by Jesus. It also says that whosoever believes in Jesus will be saved. It doesn't say, "those who are good and do good things will be saved."

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Dear Hydroman,

You said, "I never bribed anyone to believe anything.", you do miss my point, I will try and be clearer. I don't believe that we should use helping people with getting food or getting off drugs as a way to trap them into hearing the word. It doesn't say we should do that anywhere in the bible. It talks about the poor; but, it doesn't say offer them food so that you can tell them about God. I don't like the approach. Helping someone get off drugs so that we can have them when they are vulnerable and then talking to them about God is called duress. It is a good word.

As for asking me where in the bible it says that we shouldn't talk to people unless asked, that is not what I said; but, I am not surprised you took it that way. In fact it is a little amusing considering how you and others react when people post about Christianity, do you think God wants us to force people to listen to us preach to them? I don't. Why promote Christians to do when you don't think they should do it, ie, forcing people to listen to us preach?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Complicated question really one that requires a bit of faith. I have a relationship with God because I choose to. I speak (pray) to him regularly. I have never, outside my Near Death Experience had a one on one so to speak conversation. I pray daily, he answers 1000% of the time it's just that I only notice maybe 48% through his action...not words. I just need to look harder....and I will find the rest. It's like faith, listening to that quiet peaceful voice inside your head, trust it and it will grow louder.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Dear Hydroman,

You said, "It says that no man comes to the father except by Jesus. It also says that whosoever believes in Jesus will be saved. It doesn't say, "those who are good and do good things will be saved." I did not say that those who are good and do good will be saved, how you can quote that for me. None are good but God, that is what my bible says, why put the words of some pastor or whoever that you don't believe in my mouth?

I will answer you in order. It does say that none comes to the father except by Jesus, it didn't say by knowing his name, now, his name is powerful; but, can he love people who do not know the name, the deaf for instance or is it a spelling question in which case I would ask if the illiterate could know Jesus. It is by knowing his heart and being in accordance with loving one another.

Same for the second sentence (you were taught a lot of wrong things by your church), it says whoever believes in Jesus, again not his name, his heart. It says that many who come to him and say Lord, Lord, will be turned away and that he will tell them that he never knew them, how does that mean that if you know his name and story you are saved? That is not what it says.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Helping someone get off drugs so that we can have them when they are vulnerable and then talking to them about God is called duress. It is a good word.
Well, it is a christian drug rehab center afterall. What would you expect?

As for asking me where in the bible it says that we shouldn't talk to people unless asked, that is not what I said;
The way you said it, "I don't say anything unless I am asked" (paraphrased) sounded to me like you believed it was some kind of virtue that you don't talk to people about god unless they bring it up. My point is that the bible doesn't say to do that. It says to go out and spread the gospel. Not keep it to yourself until someone asks you.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

Dear kinglizard,

Drat, I gave you a star and I don't like to give stars to Super Moderators, they already have enough. I had an NDE also and now I am going to have to read about yours. I just saw the link at the bottom of your post. It is not fair to cheat, NDE's cannot be explained well to those who haven't had them, especially those who have taken heavy hallucenigens, they don't understand the difference (and no I am not accusing the OP of taking anything). I have had two of NDEs and will only discuss the first, not saying anything about you discussing yours. I am still not ready to talk about the second except in what led up to it. For me it is still too personal. Be well.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Basically I came to a point in my life, where there was no fear, only freedom. I remember telling myself the only thing that's keeping me from top pay as an iron worker was fear. Fear can kill an ironworker. Thru what I believed,
thru my faith I was able to walk that iron like I was walking down the sidewalk. Mind you, I was also at a point in life that allowed for that to happen. At break time, the crane driver even said, after I sat down to bolt up, this I beam to a column.
He said, it was like a completely different person got up, than the one who sat down. He knew I was ready to connect iron. Anyway I most likely would never have gone beyond bolting up, if not for my faith. my belief in God, told me there isn't one damn thing to fear, because the only thing that is going to happen, is what's supposed to happen. Nothing more nothing less. Why fear your time of dying? Why fear anything ? As long as it isn't a shark.
I hate Sharks.

edit on 4-8-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
Complicated question really one that requires a bit of faith. I have a relationship with God because I choose to. I speak (pray) to him regularly. I have never, outside my Near Death Experience had a one on one so to speak conversation. I pray daily, he answers 1000% of the time it's just that I only notice maybe 48% through his action...not words. I just need to look harder....and I will find the rest. It's like faith, listening to that quiet peaceful voice inside your head, trust it and it will grow louder.

And you're a mod?!?! Wow..seems like you have a obvious opinion..what good are you as a mod?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

I did not say that those who are good and do good will be saved, how you can quote that for me. None are good but God, that is what my bible says, why put the words of some pastor or whoever that you don't believe in my mouth?
I suppose there is a lack of communication going on here. I asked you about people who do good things for others who aren't christians. You said, " it means that they have the heart of Jesus and will be appreciated for such a thing" What does that mean? He will appreciate you, then throw you in the fire? I don't get it.

I will answer you in order. It does say that none comes to the father except by Jesus, it didn't say by knowing his name, now, his name is powerful; but, can he love people who do not know the name, the deaf for instance or is it a spelling question in which case I would ask if the illiterate could know Jesus. It is by knowing his heart and being in accordance with loving one another.
This came up because I said that non-christians, those who don't follow jesus, can do great things for others, such as feed the hungry. Most of them may not even believe in Jesus. They can still love one another without Jesus in the picture.

Same for the second sentence (you were taught a lot of wrong things by your church), it says whoever believes in Jesus, again not his name, his heart. It says that many who come to him and say Lord, Lord, will be turned away and that he will tell them that he never knew them, how does that mean that if you know his name and story you are saved? That is not what it says.
Again, wow. Whoever believes in Jesus's heart will be saved? What? So, they may not have even heard of Jesus, nor the gospel, but can be saved as long as they believe in his heart? That is new to me.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stovokor
.what good are you as a mod?

I have no idea why they have kept me for so long.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Dear Hydroman,

"The way you said it, "I don't say anything unless I am asked" (paraphrased) sounded to me like you believed it was some kind of virtue that you don't talk to people about god unless they bring it up. My point is that the bible doesn't say to do that. It says to go out and spread the gospel. Not keep it to yourself until someone asks you."

Actually, I said have a reason for the hope that is in you, a response, not hide what we believe and not force it on people. Help to help and discuss God because they wish to. Isn't that how you think Christians should act, do you really think we should be pounding on your door and asking if you know God or if you know for a fact that you have been saved. By the way, I am listening to Afroman as I write this, if you don't know him it doesn't matter. Do you really hope to chastise me for not forcing my beliefs on other and tell that I am acting unbiblicly? Wow, where are you coming from? It seems that you have a box to fit Christians into and if we fail to fit in then we are not following the bible; but, it is a straw man, you decide what I must believe, no thank you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join