It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have a relationship with the creator of the universe?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+30 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
In my own "christian walk" of 20 years or so, I believed that I had a personal relationship with the creator of the universe. As a non-believer now, I can see that I was wrong. I can see that in my strong belief, that when I prayed I truly felt that there was a god up there listening to me who cared for me and loved me. Just thinking about that is enough to bring about special emotions. Just believing that there is somebody out there watching over you and guiding you is powerful. Yet, was it all in my head, a type of self delusion?

I have personal relationships with friends and family. I have direct communication with them. I can see their physical representation of themselves, and I can hear them audibly. At no time in my conversations with them do I ever get my voice confused with their voice. It is quite clear who is speaking and when.

In my experience, this is not the case when dealing with a relationship with a supernatural being. I have seen people who were christians of many years say that god told them something, such as an event that would occur on a specific date, only for that day to pass and nothing happened. Did this god trick them, or did the thought come from their own mind? If it came from their own mind, how do they not know the difference between their thoughts and the difference between the voice of the creator of the universe? It should be quite clear, shouldn't it? Knowing that this happens, and I've seen it happen many, many times, how can you trust anyone who says that a god told them something?

Is it really a personal relationship if you really don't have true back and forth communication with someone?

+16 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Anytime someone tells me that God talks to them, I am very suspicious.

edit on 3-8-2011 by Balkan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
You mean the big bang?

It made me, so yeah... we're bff

Nice guy

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Perhaps God does not speak in voices like we would assume...maybe in other ways his communication is subtly revealed...

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Balkan

That's kind of ironic don't you think? Balkan (in the movie) believed himself to be one with the Devil, and declared himself to be God....right before he....

Anyway, on topic, Yes, Hydroman, I believe I have a relationship with the Creator, although sometimes shaky as faith wavers, I believe it's there.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Endtime Warrior
Perhaps God does not speak in voices like we would assume...maybe in other ways his communication is subtly revealed...
Do you have a personal relationship with the creator of the universe? You are using words like "maybe", as if you don't know how this works but just believe it anyways.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

Anyway, on topic, Yes, Hydroman, I believe I have a relationship with the Creator, although sometimes shaky as faith wavers, I believe it's there.
Ok, now explain why you believe this and why faith has anything to do with it. Do you have faith that you have a relationship with your human friends and family, or do you know without a doubt that you do?

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman

But I'm curious, what precisely is the connection between conspiracy and this 'personal relationship' phrasing which some forms of Christianity use?

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Sorry I don't know how to link stuff. I do the old copy and paste.

Maybe I can help you. I have a personal relationship with the Father and the Son. I don't call myself a Christian because many of those that do give Christ a bad name if they are saying they follow in his footsteps. I believe most of the reasons I don't attend a church have already been listed by many others.

Your question was to discribe what I mean by a personal relationship with the Creator. So I will give it a try. I hope I help you. I talk to God and his Son a whole lot. Do they speak back? Why yes they do. In the bible Jesus says let them that have ears to hear, hear, Eyes to see, see. The problem most people have is they don't listen, they don't see and they take everything for granted that happens in their life.

I'm not saying that on those days that I'm just rambling on when I talk to the Father and the Son that a voice out of sky says "Why yes Napayshni it is terribly hot today" But I do know when I have something heavy on my heart or I need some help desperately it comes. I know when my heart has been full of pain and hurt and I'm talking to God a sense of peace will come over me. Not just a it's gonna be okay kind of thing but an overwhelming sense of peace. I never forget to say thank you. Even if it's be getting to help someone else out. I thank God for bringing my path to cross theirs. I don't believe in coincidence or random chance. I've learned you look at the big picture not just say "wow what are the odds of that happening when I needed help" and brush it off. If people learn to notice when and how God can speak to you in all of the many different ways then they to can say that God speaks to them and answers them.

God does answer you just have to learn the language. Just like a deaf person speaks but not with words from their mouth. You have to learn a new way of communicating with them. The same goes for God he has many different ways.

Hope I've helped you.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leaflock

But I'm curious, what precisely is the connection between conspiracy and this 'personal relationship' phrasing which some forms of Christianity use?
Shhhhhhhh.

2nd line...shhhhhhh some more.

link   
Sorry, no. I don't hear voices, I don't have an imaginary friend I talk to, I don't believe in magic, blah blah blah...these stupid threads are getting so old...go find a religious site and have at it...quit cluttering up the new topics feed with nonsense.

link   

Well you are absolutely right, I don't know what works. I believe God may speak to people in different ways, this is why I said "maybe". Do I have a relationship with the creator of the universe? Absolutely. I am living aren't I? We all have relationships with people, objects, places.....they don't necessarily have to be "close" or "good", but they exist, to some degree.

It is up to me and only me to decide how close of a relationship with God I will have. Most of the time, pride has gotten in the way and my pursuit of earthly pleasures.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

I know without a doubt I have a relationship (albeit sometimes good or bad) with family and friends...

God isn't a person so He doesn't give me the same type of feedback, that's where Faith comes in, because I think He answers with deeds, not words.

Many people lose that faith, I understand, because I have come close. I guess I have been lucky or have done just enough good for Him to show me through actions from time to time that He is there

Just a quick story -

I have a 13 year-old daughter that has what can best be described as "mild autism", it is a chromosome deficiency. She is a real challenge, she has the body of a 13 year-old but the mind of a 5-6 year-old.

Anyway, when she was around 5, we sat down at the dinner table on Thanksgiving Day. Keep in mind she had never been to church, and neither me, my wife, or any family or friends had had any religious conversations with her before (that I am aware of). Even if they had, I don't think she would have got it.

Before we started our meal, I asked everyone at the table what they were most thankful for. When it got to her, she immediately pointed out the window, up in the sky, and said "God".

Those types of events in my life have solidified that faith in my relationship with Him.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by napayshni57

So it seems to me that it comes down to "I felt this from god." Many times people have claimed that god has given them peace on a matter. My mother-in-law, a christian of many years, said that god gave her peace that her daughter was not a lesbian. My sister-in-law is indeed a lesbian, though we dare not tell her mother.

In my OP I stated that when you have a strong belief in something such as a god who cares for you and loves you unconditionally, it can bring about special emotions. I was taught to "bring all my problems and concerns to the lord and trust in him to take care of them." Can you imagine, a supernatural, powerful being is on your side and wants to help you because he loves you! That is powerful! Having a strong belief in that will emotionally stir you.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Yes mate I can say that I do have a personal relationship with our creator.
Like any relationship, it takes 2..............

I understand your frustrations and I have met my fair share of 'god told me this' folks - however one must appreciate that a believer must grow in his relationship and comparing human relations with the heavenly Father is perhaps an inadequate yardstick

one must be born again - born of the spirit - and many folks can have their share of visions and hear voices, which in my experience - emphasis on the word experience - they should have kept to themselves

I can tell you I know when He is speaking to me. In some forms it took a while to recognise, you may call it 'practising the presence' - Our Father is the most adept word economist, and will use the reliable form of the word to communicate, and if necessary up the ante to get our attention - but I wouldn't say he speaks to us every other minute mate

take me for an example - I dont pray a lot, and I dont always do what He says in His word - so it would be kinda dumb of me to demand he put more effort into our relationship than I do hmmm? the Father and I are mates to a degree but there is a line drawn from respect that He is the creator and I am the creation, and He will win the arguments every time, if you get my drift
edit on 3-8-2011 by Highlander64 because: sp sp sp spelling

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stovokor
Sorry, no. I don't hear voices, I don't have an imaginary friend I talk to, I don't believe in magic, blah blah blah...these stupid threads are getting so old...go find a religious site and have at it...quit cluttering up the new topics feed with nonsense.
Sorry, I was asked in another thread to start a new thread, so I did.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on roses
And the voice I hear falling
On my ear the son of God discloses

And He walks with me and He talks with me
And He tells me I am His own
And the joy we share as we tarry there
None other has ever known

He speaks and the sound of His voice
Is so sweet the birds hush their singing
And the melody that He gave to me
Within my heart is ringing

And He walks with me and He talks with me
And He tells me I am His own
And the joy we share as we tarry there
None other has ever known

I've been to this garden, albiet, my arrival was, shall we just say it was a chemical invitation. I remember sitting on the beach, watching the waves melting into the sandy shore, listening to the methodical whosh of the waves. That's when I heard it. The voice of "the father." I knew it. I reconognized it. It was older, inside of me longer, than the ocean itself.

As I became aware of the voice, I became excited. It started fading in my awareness. I cryed out "Come back, don't leave." The voice answered me saying, "I'm not the one leaving, you are. I am always here."

I am not a Christain, but I beleive that I am a child of God. God, may be a child of Ach Ach, for all I know.
edit on 3-8-2011 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Theres a difference between communicating with God and ones own thoughts. The thoughts are different. There is no "I should do this or that". Usually it strikes you as where did that come from that thought.

Example...I had a new water heater put in. The dang thing kept going out. I called them they came out and said they fixed it. Yet as soon as they left with another check in hand the dang thing went out again. So I called them back they couldn't come out to the next day. I live alone with my young son so when I am talking I'm talking to God just like I would my own Dad if he was there. I kept asking what the heck is wrong and now they are saying it's this the part is covered but not the labor. All at once the word propane kept coming into my mind. Why I asked myself is that word keeping coming into my mind. I didn't know there was a difference between propane water heaters and natural gas water heaters. I went to my old friend google and found out those stupid plumbers could of blown me up to heaven. So I called the plumbers main office and said "hey you put the wrong type gas water heater in my home and could of blown me up" Needless to say I got a new water heater and my money back from that day. If the words propane wouldn't of kept coming into my mind I would of probably been dead before anyone noticed they installed the wrong water heater.

When people tell me God has told them something is going to happen or they need to do this I have to take a good look at that person. Everyone wants to be an end times prophet it seems like. Check their ego. I've heard many people say God has revealed to me that this means that and it's okay if I do that. That's when I figure they've twisted the words of God in their own mind so it makes them feel good about what they do.

link   
Hydroman may I ask what transpired to make you a non-believer?

I do have a personal relationship with God...

Before I continue let me clarify...

My Wife's crazy parents actually believe that God talks to them... that they actually walk with God...
But yet their actions and their deeds... and their "promotions" of God's will... is well if anything Evil...
I think their disillusioned schizo's hellbent on a power kick, hiding behind a Christian banner...

They treat my wife... let me rephrase that... They treated... my wife like hell...
My wife is estranged from them now due to their obsessive controlling crazy ways...

We actually believe... with good notion that her step father wants to sleep with my wife...
"Oh God has commanded you to bear my children..."
yeah... so people like that are definitely suffering from psychotic behavior...

I on the other hand... Do not "Talk" directly to God... I feel his presence... I feel his grace... but he was yet to answer my questions verbally... But I still have a relationship with God...

link   
Do bacteria, viruses, ant, mosquito, bugs in general have a relationship with me ? If someone answer "YES" then they can answer your question.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join