It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Picture tech tip

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I have lost count to the number of times a picture is posted and then the next 10 pages is nothing but people trying to guest where in what part of the picture do they need to be looking for what ever the picture is all about. I have a way around all of that. Most picture programs have a pixel counter on it. Take MS Paint for example. Open a picture in it and you put the courser on the target and the EXACT pixel location is shown at the bottom of the screen. I tell you to go to pixel location 1256x245 and you know just where to look. Better than GPS. All you have to do is save the picture to your computer and open it with any program that has a pixel counter and you are there without spending a week and a hundred post playing Mark-O-Polo trying to find what the subject on the picture is. I have used this set up on other web site forums and it works there so why not here.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

Now you're going to have to explain how to save a picture. And how to open a picture. And what a coordinate system is. And what pixels are. And what applications have pixel counters. Isn't IT fun?

[Note to the non-technical: IT means Information Technology.]

edit on 8/3/2011 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

If I have to explain all that to some one then they need to just turn their computer off and find something other way to spend their free.

But sides that the set up does work. I have used it before. Now as for you Ex-CT2 what do you think of the set up?

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

I think it's an excellent idea. I should have thought of this; I often have a similar problem with my users, and then have to track them down to ask questions.

But yeah. Excellent....

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
How about this...

If you've got the picture open in windows paint, please draw a circle or rectangle around the object, save it, and post it in your thread. You can even add text and arrows and such if you want to get really specific. You can even crop and enlarge the photo right there in windows paint to show a closeup of the area in question.

If you post up to imageshack or photobucket, they already have all the editing tools right there and it's extremely easy to use.

A pixel is a pixel is a pixel. In the end it's all numbers... If you make it simpler on yourself you make it simpler for hundreds of other ATS members that want to see what you have to show them. But most people simply don't have the time or the energy after a long day of work to deal with a coordinate system.

They want to deal with a cold beer and a cigarette.

The photo isn't really important anyway. It's what information can be drawn from a combination of the photo and the photographer's first-hand accounts of what he/she saw and why/where/how the photo was taken to begin with that matters. Information + information = the big picture (at least how I see it). One could even get into the type of camera, camera settings, etc.. But usually the debates on photographs never make it that far on ATS.

-ChriS

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

Thanks for the info. I am graphically challenged, so everything said so far is useful info to me. I do have Paint, but I've never even used it. Maybe now I will.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

that's the way i do it and sometimes i will help a fellow member out by posting the part of the pic for them, even though sometimes i have to guess where they are pointing me to.

top topics

join