It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Sudden And Unexpected" mass layoffs for July 2011, up 60% from June.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
www.businessinsider.com...

The article states that the planned layoffs for July will be 66,414 positions lost. The previous month was 41,432. This is the highest total since March 2010. The biggest companies laying off are Merck & Co., Borders, Cisco Systems, Lockheed Martin and Boston Scientific. That raises the total layoffs for the year to 312,220. Where is this recovery again?

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by wiandiii

Just wait, the mass layoffs haven't even begun yet. This fall you will see layoffs the likes of nothing seen before. I am hearing from people that some big corporations are looking to lay off tens of thousands of people. That would put unemployment up over 10% with ease is what I am hearing, but we will see because it is all speculation at this point.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiandiii
www.businessinsider.com...

The article states that the planned layoffs for July will be 66,414 positions lost. The previous month was 41,432. This is the highest total since March 2010. The biggest companies laying off are Merck & Co., Borders, Cisco Systems, Lockheed Martin and Boston Scientific. That raises the total layoffs for the year to 312,220. Where is this recovery again?

all the "economic recovery" bull# on tv is nothing but a bunch of lies..always has been...no such thing will happen, for a long time..thanks to just about every prick that has worked in the government

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Layoffs = Dow$15k this year or next

mid2012-mid2013 = Dow $5k

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Why don't they just cut hours, I'm sure a lot of employees would be open do that option.

If some employees are not happy well fine, they can look somewhere else for a job the sooner they leave the faster hours will get back.
Everyone in the world that works can afford to go to 30 hours instead of 40 hours if they must since 25% of what we make is usually spent either having fun or buying new things we don't really need when you think of it.

Layoff's only hurt your own economy in the long run, you might has well keep your staff then get new one when things get better.

This goes to a lot of workaholics out there :There is other things to do in life then working.
And this goes to employers out there : Ask your employees if they would rather cut some hours instead of seeing co-workers leave and make their families suffer.

If we work together, even the worst crisis is possible to past trough and come out stronger!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
The FAA is laying off alot so I've heard, when is that suppose to happen?

Source

So, congress left for the week without voting on the FAA bill? They probably just want to save some money and that's what the true intentions are.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by User8911

Reset ... you're doing it wrong

95 cents of every dollar traded today is speculative capital. Based on nothing but gambling. This kind of thing builds up in the financial system every 60 years or so and has since ... well, forever.

All of that has to be purged from the system. It's a game of musical chairs and no one wants to lose. The system will reset - and then recover. Keeping it going by advocating underemployment does not get us closer to the solution - that just, in a way, is another form of bubble.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
This is interesting but wait until the federal, state and local governments get into the act. With all the planned reductions in spending those layoffs should run into the hundreds of thousands. Is a depression on the horizon?

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
So like do the illegals get layed off this time????? With so many people losing jobs over the years, the last thing we need are employed illegal immigrants.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
So like do the illegals get layed off this time????? With so many people losing jobs over the years, the last thing we need are employed illegal immigrants.

there are employed illegals all over the place....a bunch of them work at logan's roadhouse in jackson, tn....they work in the citrus groves in florida...the pecan groves in texas....they're everywhere...and the government doesn't give a damn

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I have a friend who was let go from Baker Hughes last week. His entire department was cut. He and I were talking about it, and talking about other small but numerous layoffs in our area.

The local school district, Klein, just let go 400 teachers and staff. Precinct 4 Constables are letting people go. Local businesses are cutting back staff.

We think the massive layoffs might be rare from this point. The first huge cuts were to remove bulk in the workforce. Not all, but a good many people I know who were laid off in the last couple years were bulk in their workplace. Now the layoffs look more...precise, I guess.

I worked for Starbucks as a manager when they starting shutting down stores. I knew, everyone knew, that Starbucks had grown way too big for Howard Schultz' britches. They shut down stores, cut jobs at plants, and rapidly reduced their payroll. Lots of other companies did the same thing. They used a formula based on payroll reduction to cut workers, not based on productivity. Some of the store closures we saw made no business sense. But there was a significant and immediate reduction in payroll and the associated taxes.

Later store closures made real sense. After the first panic passed, after they closed stores and cut some local corporate positions, they want back and cleaned up. They rehired a few, but let twice as many more go. They saved a store or two from closure, but added another few hundred to the closure list. They became more precise in their cuts, making smarter business decisions on which departments to keep, and what was just bulk.

Now, Starbucks, and other companies have had time to make further reduction decisions based on productivity. I think there will be many smaller, much less news worthy, reductions in our job pool.

All that being said, those numbers look about right from what I'm seeing in my neck of the woods.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
here where i live at...General Motors, Ford and Chrysler all have stamping plants...assembly plants...that were supposed to be re-tooled for new car models, and re-opened....well..that never happened...the plants that closed down, due to the economic crash never re-opened...and so far, none of the auto workers that were supposed to be re-hired have gone back to work....i think this country is definitely going down the toilet, and it's going to take the rest of the global economy with it

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by mustangill
The FAA is laying off alot so I've heard, when is that suppose to happen?

Source

So, congress left for the week without voting on the FAA bill? They probably just want to save some money and that's what the true intentions are.

They're talking about this right now on CNN. They're saying congress just went on a 5 week holiday, causing 74000 people to not be getting paid. It sounded like some of them are still working, but unpaid.

Construction season, and nothing able to get done on infrastructure either. More jobs that should be happening now, that aren't.

new topics

top topics

join