It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What to eat when the cubards are darn near bare

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Boilloin cubes
make that rice tasty! If your eating for 1, a pound of ground beef can be stretched rather well!

S.o.s is good, basicly ground beef, in a gravy, over bread or biscuits.

You can brown a bit of ground with onions or not, put in rice (cooked) with a little water and boilloin.

Corn starch is a must for easy gravy making. Gotta conserve the flour!

A "spread" is top notch ramen! Lol (jailhouse delicacy if you must) some cheese its, a sausage and cheese sticks pack (cut up) and whatever else. Even threw pickles in more than once.

Potatoes! At the store here, if you catch it right, you can get a 10 pounder pretty cheap. I just got one for 2.79. You can do alot! If you know how to make tortillas you got tacos, salsa is easy peasy! Boil 4 tomatoes and a jalapeno, put in bowl and mash with a cup or somthing.

Speaking of tortillas, if you make the dough, it can be refriderated until need, let reach room temps.

Picadillo(for tacos) ground beef, can of tomatoes, onion, and if you got it, corn, carrots, bellpeppers, whatever you like. Season with salt, cumin, garlic powder and whatever you like. This can be frozen. So good to make when you got the stuff, freeze some, have some for poor days!

I got more... Lol

Cheapo hotdogs and balogne, also freeze well. (duh)

Hit up a food pantry, youll be surprised what you can make out of that.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
veggies and ramen, best thing youll ever buy in regards to saving food money is a rice cooker, you can easily cut all portions to half when theres rice as a side!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by mustangill

I don't know how affordable corned beef is in America but I'll give you this recipe that came out of the slums of England and I think may have it's basis in WWI and bully beef as the army called corned beef.

1. 340g can of corned beef cubed.
2. 400g can of chopped tomatoes.
3. 600g of potatoes peeled and cubed. This is just a guide more potatoes pads it out less makes it richer.
4. 2 medium onions sliced.
5. 2 carrots diced fairly small.
6. Beef gravy granules, granules give more body than stock cubes.
These are the basic ingredients from my poor roots, and in fact the chopped tomatoes are a luxury I've added in my later years. It was a very thin gruel indeed. What I add now also.
6. 1-2 tsp of sherry or red wine vinegar.
7. 2 tsp dried mixed herbs.
8. 2 tbsp tomato puree.
9. Dash or two of Worcestishire sauce
10. Salt and pepper to taste.
Prepare the veg then in a large pan of water cook the potatoes after about 10 mins of boiling put in the onions which should soften fairly quickly. Meanwhile in another pan parboil; the carrots.
When the potatoes and onions have softened, yet they should not be softened too far. It's par boiling they are going to be cooked further, empty out all the water apart from a half to three quarters of a pint. To this add the gravy granules until you have a gravy of medium consistancy. Then add your tomatoes, carrots and corned beef and luxuries if you are adding and simmer for between 30-40 minutes. reasonable with some nice home baked bread to dip in it should fill you. Plus the fact pad it out and you can make a fair panful to see you through a few days. Add mashed potato or fries with veg and serve a few ladles of the stew as the meat course to stretch it even further.
edit on 4/8/11 by goldentorch because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/8/11 by goldentorch because: clarification

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by mustangill

Loaf of the best multi grain bread you can buy.
Beans, rice, bananas, peanut butter, oranges and apples.
Nuts, tuna, eggs and cheese. Forget meals. Snack all day.

You may still be poor but you will have great health
and that is something many millionaires would trade their fortunes for.

edit on 4-8-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by goldentorch

That sounds delicious and I don't even like spam, which is the only corned beef I know of...
but I love beef brisket! Maybe a stupid question but, does corned beef have corn in it?
edit on 4-8-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

No a corn was the measure for the salt they cured it with. Thought America was familiar with corned beef I have an American recipe for corned beef hash and have heard corned beef in deli's being praised. Perhaps it's just the tinned version that is unfamiliar.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by goldentorch
reply to post by newcovenant

No a corn was the measure for the salt they cured it with. Thought America was familiar with corned beef I have an American recipe for corned beef hash and have heard corned beef in deli's being praised. Perhaps it's just the tinned version that is unfamiliar.

Well I don't get out much.

Thanks for the information and great recipe.
We really do learn something new everyday!

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Food on a budget...

Pasta
Rice
Cheap Meat Cuts (make stews or soups)
Canned or Frozen Veggies
Canned Soup (especially condensed)
Sandwiches (may seem pricey, but meal for meal, and using cheaper lunch meats and cheeses, it works out fairly cheap).
Breakfast Foods (even eating out, this can be cheap)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join