It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did NASA do this?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by phrankie79

So... are you saying they shouldn't have? What information do you have that suggests that this was a bad idea on their part?

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by phrankie79
en.wikipedia.org... and i quote

"The Pioneer plaques are a pair of gold-anodized aluminium plaques which were placed on board the 1972 Pioneer 10 and 1973 Pioneer 11 spacecraft, featuring a pictorial message, in case either Pioneer 10 or 11 are intercepted by extraterrestrial life. The plaques show the nude figures of a human male and female along with several symbols that are designed to provide information about the origin of the spacecraft."

The information regarding Pioneer 10 and 11 can be found on the official nasa site as well as countless others via google.

(Long sigh!) If some of you folks knew more about Carl Sagan, you can understand quite well why those seriously stupid plaques and golden record were sent on their way to no-where. Those were messages for US. Messages to internalize, to think about, to wonder about alien races out there somewhere. "Oh, man, they are sending messages on our spaceprobes to some aliens we don't even know about. Maybe we need to consider that UFOs are real after all. Whatdoya think, Bubba?"

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Oh man, we had it all wrong!

I had no idea Carl Sagan designed these things and openly stated their purpose.

How incredibly stupid of us all to presume we knew.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
The real question to me is.
Why not?
Why not send a message in a bottle?

At the very least when we are gone. There will be a record of our existence.
I remember right before our Launch of the two Voyagers, the Local rock station played all the Audio, on a Sunday night show called "blazing turntables"....Usually they played sides 1 and 2 of a recently released Rock album.

We're sending a plaque of Galileo's self protrait, and some of his writings on the Upcoming Juno Launch too.
There will be no Jupitonians, or Jovians, or whatever to read this plaque.

It's a tribute to our ingenuity. That our smarts can be used for things other than blowing people up.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

A nice kind of view

Why not? The answer to so much questions!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Yes, but now that the deed's long done, we get to sit back and hope that one day in the future, some hostile, acid-drooling alien species won't take our fliers as a free-buffet message from Earth.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Actually the message on the plaques say "Help! We are being held captive by an underground Reptilian race that uses little grey bots to deprive us of our precious bodily fluids. (they also have a weird obsession with ruining wheat crops and eating the left eyeball, jaw and tongue of our cows) If there are any benevolent races out there that can help, we've got plenty of pizza and beer to go around"...

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Well, i personally think it was just done "in case" some aliens came across them. The power supply on these would be long dead before they are found. That does not mean aliens could not detect them, but without a power source, it might be harder.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
When an alien race is able to curse the universe, ah forget it....

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   

I feel if anyone knows anything and is lying to us its deep within the military and nowhere near nasa. nasa is totally out of the loop.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
or Jovians

Someone plays Eve Online

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   

I am simply saying if NASA has been lying since the beginning. Why bother even doing this?
edit on 3-8-2011 by phrankie79 because: (no reason given)

Maybe they had already made contact with extraterrestrials but the ETs have lost communication capability back to homeworld. They then requested NASA to send out a few space probes and drones with location data and a sample of what has been found on this planet. My guess is that across space it would be less of a loss to let scouts die then to mount ET rescue missions from lightyears away. This is why they added samples such as music and representations of the most "intelligent" species one the planet. You know, to entise the rescue squad to save them and put more effort into studying earth because it harbors intelligent life.
edit on 4-8-2011 by DarkSarcasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpringHeeledJack
reply to post by Kryties

This genius figured it out. Your off-topic and inflammatory comments are not needed here.

That was edited and revised before you ever posted.

inb4 "i sure showed him!"

Mate I was simply responding the same way you were treating the OP for making a simple mistake. Anyways, all is now well - the definition of "Plaque" vs "Plague" has been decided, so on with the show.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpringHeeledJack
What the hell are you talking about? What plague?
Please cite your reputable sources to back up your claim.

Who said NASA lied about anything?
The golden discs were sent out in hopes that a civilization would intercept them someday as the craft exits the solar system on a real mission of collecting data. It was almost an afterthought to add those discs and whatnot. Clearly, they are looking to make contact.

ETA: Why is adding a plague decent? Can you clarify that statement? I think it would be the very height of stupidity to launch an attack on a race that, had they had the ability to intercept, is MUCH MUCH MUCH more technologically advanced than us. That's just plain stupid.
edit on 3-8-2011 by SpringHeeledJack because: (no reason given)

This post will now stand as evidence of my own stupidity. Plaques, not plagues.
edit on 3-8-2011 by SpringHeeledJack because: (no reason given)

Courageous young man ! You could have deleted the entire post and no one would have been aware of your error, yet you chose to exhibit it. Courageous and humble. Nice qualities in a human.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

en.wikipedia.org... and i quote

"The Pioneer plaques are a pair of gold-anodized aluminium plaques which were placed on board the 1972 Pioneer 10 and 1973 Pioneer 11 spacecraft, featuring a pictorial message, in case either Pioneer 10 or 11 are intercepted by extraterrestrial life. The plaques show the nude figures of a human male and female along with several symbols that are designed to provide information about the origin of the spacecraft."

The information regarding Pioneer 10 and 11 can be found on the official nasa site as well as countless others via google.

(Long sigh!) If some of you folks knew more about Carl Sagan, you can understand quite well why those seriously stupid plaques and golden record were sent on their way to no-where. Those were messages for US. Messages to internalize, to think about, to wonder about alien races out there somewhere. "Oh, man, they are sending messages on our spaceprobes to some aliens we don't even know about. Maybe we need to consider that UFOs are real after all. Whatdoya think, Bubba?"

You're absolutely correct. At least for me. I had dismissed the whole "Chariots of the Gods" thing as humans dreaming but Carl Sagan opened my eyes to the real possibilities. He made "space" a real place for me .He made the possibility of extraterrestrials something I could consider. Oh, I'm a space kid. I grew up in the 60's during the big US space era and UP has always interested me. Carl was part of my TV viewing during my teens and young adulthood. Formative years. LOL.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I dislike and like the ideas of the plaques.

I mean, telling another race we're having a great laugh on Earth sending out stuff for ET's find might just be a proverbial field day. It might ricochet and hit us straight in the face after we find out they're on the way to blow us up and steal our loot.

Then again, it could be a good thing, they might say "look at these fools using aluminium which is anodized, why don't they use [Insert Alien Tech] to tell us all about them, they need a hand!"

Then again, if they had the tech to travel through space and what not, I'm sure they know we're here anyway. I think the whole exercise might be to throw us common folk of the scent, I mean, double bluffing is the American way of telling the public there's more to it.

edit on 4-8-2011 by VraxUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSarcasm

I am simply saying if NASA has been lying since the beginning. Why bother even doing this?
edit on 3-8-2011 by phrankie79 because: (no reason given)

Maybe they had already made contact with extraterrestrials but the ETs have lost communication capability back to homeworld. They then requested NASA to send out a few space probes and drones with location data and a sample of what has been found on this planet. My guess is that across space it would be less of a loss to let scouts die then to mount ET rescue missions from lightyears away. This is why they added samples such as music and representations of the most "intelligent" species one the planet. You know, to entise the rescue squad to save them and put more effort into studying earth because it harbors intelligent life.
edit on 4-8-2011 by DarkSarcasm because: (no reason given)

Or maybe they just put the plaques on them just in case.

Which scenario is more likely?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join