It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did NASA do this?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Pioneer 10 and 11 each had a plaque on them in case the made it to alien "hands".

I do think it was decent on their part, when they did not have too. Voyagers 1 and 2 both contained a golden disc. The information contained on the discs can be read here @

Now, if NASA has lied to us, pretty much from the beginning as some think. Why on earth would they even waste time doing this? Not only that, wasting time of the committee chaired by Carl Sagan of Cornell University, who were the ones who decided on the contents of these discs.

Why bother? Do you think it was done to feed the public more lies, and let them think that NASA doesn't know about alien life?

edit: some grammar changes, laugh if you must.
edit on 3-8-2011 by phrankie79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Where do you get that information about the plaques? What would be the intention behind this? Raise anger to way-above technologized civilizations that would bash the hell out of us?

Edit: Oh sorry, I thought you meant bacterial plaque, wasn´t aware of the double meaning.
edit on 3-8-2011 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
What the hell are you talking about? What plague?
Please cite your reputable sources to back up your claim.

Who said NASA lied about anything?
The golden discs were sent out in hopes that a civilization would intercept them someday as the craft exits the solar system on a real mission of collecting data. It was almost an afterthought to add those discs and whatnot. Clearly, they are looking to make contact.

ETA: Why is adding a plague decent? Can you clarify that statement? I think it would be the very height of stupidity to launch an attack on a race that, had they had the ability to intercept, is MUCH MUCH MUCH more technologically advanced than us. That's just plain stupid.
edit on 3-8-2011 by SpringHeeledJack because: (no reason given)

This post will now stand as evidence of my own stupidity. Plaques, not plagues.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org... and i quote

"The Pioneer plaques are a pair of gold-anodized aluminium plaques which were placed on board the 1972 Pioneer 10 and 1973 Pioneer 11 spacecraft, featuring a pictorial message, in case either Pioneer 10 or 11 are intercepted by extraterrestrial life. The plaques show the nude figures of a human male and female along with several symbols that are designed to provide information about the origin of the spacecraft."

The information regarding Pioneer 10 and 11 can be found on the official nasa site as well as countless others via google.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

edit on 3-8-2011 by SnakeShot because: Ignorance

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SnakeShot
Did they send those out before or after Roswell?

afterwards of course, I hope this was sarcastic.

link   
reply to post by phrankie79

I am simply saying if NASA has been lying since the beginning. Why bother even doing this?
edit on 3-8-2011 by phrankie79 because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by SnakeShot

Hmmm, hard to say.

The Roswell incident was in the 40's so.... what?

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpringHeeledJack
What the hell are you talking about? What plague?
Please cite your reputable sources to back up your claim.

Who said NASA lied about anything?
The golden discs were sent out in hopes that a civilization would intercept them someday as the craft exits the solar system on a real mission of collecting data. It was almost an afterthought to add those discs and whatnot. Clearly, they are looking to make contact.

ETA: Why is adding a plague decent? Can you clarify that statement? I think it would be the very height of stupidity to launch an attack on a race that, had they had the ability to intercept, is MUCH MUCH MUCH more technologically advanced than us. That's just plain stupid.

Plaque

not Plague. The OP made a simple mistake that doesn't take a genius to figure out.

edit on 3/8/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

the first one was sent nearly 25 years after Roswell

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

This genius figured it out. Your off-topic and inflammatory comments are not needed here.

That was edited and revised before you ever posted.

inb4 "i sure showed him!"

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Perhaps they did it to make the public feel like there trying to contact them

and meanwhile the whole time they were in contact but to keep up the circus they had to do these kinda things and SETI to show public there trying...

or perhaps they changed the plaque on the day it was being sent out =o

and the messege on it is not what we thought!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Plaque

not Plague. The OP made a simple mistake that doesn't take a genius to figure out.

edit on 3/8/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

If you´re mother language is english -> yes, otherwise it could make sense, too.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by verschickter

My unfortunate grammar is not in question here!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

This post will now stand as evidence of my own stupidity. Plaques, not plagues.

Nope, if you were stupid you would not have picked up on it.

Kudos for showing humility

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by phrankie79
reply to post by verschickter

My unfortunate grammar is not in question here!

I didn´t questioned your grammar, I was talking about myself, look at my location and understand that english is not my mother language. I never blamed you, look at my edit seconds after I posted it. This was when I hit LEO translator for plaque (I thought you meant bacteria!!!) So please step back, I wasn´t even adressing you.

But to stay on topic:
No one will ever know
edit on 3-8-2011 by verschickter because: spelling correction, irony hit me hard tonight

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by verschickter

afterwards of course, I hope this was sarcastic.

I share your hope.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Back to the topic!

I don't think NASA as a whole is lying about anything.

That said, surely there is a compartmentalized group within it if for no other reason than to explain anomalies.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by phrankie79

If there is an extraterrestrial cover-up going on then everything NASA has done has been a lie and a smokescreen. And yes, it has all been a pack of lies and there is a cover-up going on. Maybe you're just now waking up to that fact, but its the truth of the matter.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Frith

Can you prove that?

Evidence? Links?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join