It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should I go to Church?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
reply to post by Signals

Dear Signals,

I want to begin by explaining what the word church meant, it was not a building, it was not a dogma and it was not a place at all. The church is the body of believers, you as a believer are already a part of THE church. The Testament says that where two or more are gathered in my name, there I am also. That is a congregation or a meeting of believers. When you meet with other believers to discuss God, you are in church with the congregation.

The reason we are supposed to meet with other believers is to check ourselves and uphold one another. The early church congregated in houses and shared amongst each other; but, this is not a requirement. As for money, that goes towards paying a worker his due. If one did not like to attend a denominational church, it would not free them from their responsibility to be good stewards and help those in need. I do not attend weekly services and find there are few preachers that have much to offer anymore (I regret to say); however I do give to charity and those in need on a daily basis and fellowship with other Christians very regularly to discuss Christ and God and the bible.

Be well.

I was looking for the words, and you nailed it. I echo that.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

I'll start on the one which would be agreeable to most.
1) Because the spiritual gifts one receives are for the benefit of the others, albeit not always just other faithful.
2) Because the members make up one Body-- and the outward sign of that is a gathering, a communion.
3) "When two or three are gathered in my Name..."

If one accepts sacraments (outward and visible sign of inward and spiritual grace) then...
4) To receive the spiritual food
5) "They devoted themselves to the apostles teaching, the fellowship, the breaking of bread and the prayers."

The problem, of course, is finding a church (literally means "gathering") in which the leadership and the members view the Church in that way-- rather than an economic, social, and political entity which is the very experience many who have posted have encountered and rightly rejected.

Does that help?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
I would like to thank a brand new member for inspiring me to write this thread.

I am looking for serious responses, and will not respond to any attacks or ridicule on Christianity...

Why should I go to Church?

A little background - I was raised Methodist early, but spent my early/late teens attending a non-denominational Church, called "The Living Word". It was way different than Methodist, as it was more about singing, we had a band complete with electric guitars, people getting Slain in the Spirit, Speaking in Tongues, etc...

I consider myself a Christian because I believe God sent his Son, Jesus, here to convey a Message, a message of peace and love for fellow man. I also believe Jesus died on the cross to save us from our sins, because Humans just can't help but sin like crazy. I have accepted him in my heart as my Savior. I believe there is a Heaven and I believe I will be let in because of this. I also think that, if there is ET life out there, God created them too. ( I only add this for the inevitable poke at my avatar)

Obviously this is a very wicked and evil world that, for the most part, does not follow his message.

I also understand that many people have twisted Christianity, like other religions, to bring death and destruction on this world.

I have a personal relationship with Jesus and God, I don't understand the need for organized religion - ie. "Church".

It seems like a big money scam to me, always has.

Why should I go to Church every Sunday, somebody help me out with this....

Well if you read the bible it does say we should come together in fellowship. It also states that the book cannot be understood by 1 person but by many it can be, this is why I believe the church is important. Also the sabbath is saturday and has been altered by man - not God. The reason I go to church every saturday is because I learn from others in testimony's and understanding scripture. I have questioned the SDA belief system many times and the answers I got have always been backed up by scripture. Something a lot of other denominations fail to do. Plus they promote healthy lifestyle and are the most humble Christians I have met. These are the reasons I go to the SDA church - Because they actually study the word of God

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

You need to come over and check out the Catholic Church; we have booze and food at our mass!

[size=0]Disclaimer: the booze and food in this picture may not be exactly the same as that used in a real Catholic mass

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Funny you mention that....

The first Catholic Priest I ever met was at a party. He had a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other. I often felt there must be something missing here when , as long as you confess, it's all good in the end

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

The first Catholic Priest I ever met was at a party. He had a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other. I often felt there must be something missing here when , as long as you confess, it's all good in the end

Dear Signals,

I was raised by Jesuits, left the Catholic church at 12 and became an agnostic. The priests were all Irish Catholic, they smoked and they drank and they boxed. Show me where the bible it says those things are a sin. By the way, those sames priests (and I am not Catholic, I am a protestant now) never abused boys and were willing to discuss anything. Because of them I know how to read beyond the obvious in the bible, because of them I graduated Law School and because of them, I have only been with one woman in my whole life. Yet we have Jimmy Swaggert and Jim Baker and numerous others within the protestant faith who are no better.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
If you are a painter, and never step foot in a gallery - or discuss art with anyone - does this make you a bad artist?
If you squirrel your money under your bed, avoid interest charges (on just about any 'transaction' invented), does it make you a bad investor?
If you do good works, but never step foot in a church - does it make you a bad follower of Christ, or Buddha, or Mohammed?

Akushla

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
From an academic point of view ;

Church is a classroom.
If you want to learn about maths - you go to maths class.
If you want to speak Japanese - you go to Japanese class.
etc.etc

If you want to learn about Jesus (which should be the central teaching of the church that you select to attend), then you go to church.
You can learn much from reading and studying the Holy Bible yourself, but keep in mind that the Pastors, Deacons Church leaders have spent years of professional full time study, obtaining PHD's, Doctorates etc in learning about the Scriptures.
They can provide further insight and deeper meaning to the Bible than perhaps you could obtain by yourself.

Just make sure that you 'test' every church that you enter. If the fail to confess that Jesus Christ is Lord and Saviour, and died on the cross as a sacrifice for sin, was buried and resurrected three days later, and sits seated on the throne to the right of God the Father in Heaven, then find another church !!

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by akushla99
If you are a painter, and never step foot in a gallery - or discuss art with anyone - does this make you a bad artist?
If you squirrel your money under your bed, avoid interest charges (on just about any 'transaction' invented), does it make you a bad investor?
If you do good works, but never step foot in a church - does it make you a bad follower of Christ, or Buddha, or Mohammed?

Akushla

Thank You for that

I think this is the post I was looking for...

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Hebrews 10:25 if no one has responded to your question yet. It doesn't seem like a command to me, just a suggestion:

"Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

edit on 6-8-2011 by blockhead because: spelling...

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
so god knows who you are and might save you from being eaten at the end of days

that's why.

wave a lot and make your voice heard!! god get's really amused!

or maybe give you an excuse to get up early and take the family out to lunch or breakfast?

maybe take the weekly shower or shave? that's what i do.

CRAP, it's tomorrow!

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Coming from a very religious family (my dad is a pastor and my mom is a church organist), and being an Atheist/Agnostic myself, I can only recite what my dad and I have talked about numerously in regards to this. Some reasons to go to church:

1) You enjoy worship, and this allows a specific designated time for you to worship when you may be too lazy (or just have other things to do that you get caught up in) to do it otherwise. That is, some people wouldn't take the time to concentrate on worship if they didn't go to church.

2) You really like the pastor. You feel like he/she has an extensive knowledge of the Bible, and yall agree on many levels. Therefore, you look forward to listening to his/her sermon and hope to draw insight and/or newfound wisdom from his/her message.

3) You like to surround yourself with like-minded people without worry of being stereotyped for your beliefs or worry of mentioning something religious and being frowned upon. You are praised for your beliefs by people of similar faith.

4) You really like church music, be it new-age Christian Rock or Gospel or old-school Hymns.

5) You need to get out of the house, away from your wife, or away from your kids.

6) You feel like you have to, or have been misguided into believing that you have to go to church to get into Heaven (like it is up to YOU whether you go to Heaven or not).

7) You really don't know why you go, you've just always done it since you were taken to church as a kid and it's one of those things you do.

8) You are a hypocrite and go to church only to appear like you are a good Christian.

9) You enjoy gossip that you can only get from your Sunday School group of men/women.

10) It is a place that will take care of your children/babies for an hour or two.

They're not all good reasons, but those are all the ones I could think of. Hope that helps?!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

I hear ya on the money scam you mentioned. It does seem like that with alot of churches. I was going to one but stopped going when they spent the first 10 minutes talking about giving money and using verses in the bible so people would feel like they had to give.

That being said, I have found a great church that never mentions giving money. EVER!
First you should find a church that doesn't press the money issue then just go to be educated and learn. I also have doubt in some of the bible. Thats just my personal belief but church is a good place to learn and get into debates about things you do not agree with or question. You don't have to go to church to believe in GOD but to me its a place to learn. The first thing is to find a good church. When I say good I mean a church that does not pressure you in to giving money or tell you your going to hell if you don't come to church!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

I am a Christian that is struggling with this same thoughts.

Here is an interesting website:bible-truths.com... The guy says some things that are pretty radical and outside of the teachings we've all heard. However, it seems to be biblical. Take a look and tell me what you think.

You're on the right track I think.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

You should find a church you like that fits you. Christ said that a christian without a church is like an orphan without a home. I tried for 14 years to walk alone and did not attend any churches in that time. The problem with walking alone is that Satan attacks you constantly and will eventually wear you down and you will decend into darkness and despair. You need a church so that you can fellowship with your brothers and sisters. We need eachother to lean on and to help eachother shoulder our burdens. When you isolate yourself from your brothers and sisters Satan will target you explicitly and be relentless in his pursuit to harass you and he will throw everything at you, including the kitchen sink. I know this first hand i fought him alone for 14 years and i was tiring of the never ending battle, i could get no rest and no repsite it was constant war and hell. When i finally went back to church, i was reunited with my "family" and Satans attacks decreased exponentially.

Never isolate yourself from your brothers and sisters. Satan and his fallen angel lieutenants LOVE to go up against you and it will never be 1 on 1, so don't give him the time of day.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

I notice he doesn't mention the changing of the sabbath, which is the biggest fraud by the catholic church. Notice in the catholic 10 commandments it has been changed from the longest to the shortest of the commandments.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear Signals,

I was raised by Jesuits, left the Catholic church at 12 and became an agnostic. The priests were all Irish Catholic, they smoked and they drank and they boxed. Show me where the bible it says those things are a sin. By the way, those sames priests (and I am not Catholic, I am a protestant now) never abused boys and were willing to discuss anything. Because of them I know how to read beyond the obvious in the bible, because of them I graduated Law School and because of them, I have only been with one woman in my whole life. Yet we have Jimmy Swaggert and Jim Baker and numerous others within the protestant faith who are no better.

Lol, Jimmy Swaggart? I just found out recently that he was discovered to be gay. I'm sorry but if youre gay, you are definately NOT following Christ's teachings nor God's laws. Not saying you cant be redeemed, but you have to put that lifestyle behind you, IF you can and i havent met many that could.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl

Originally posted by Hydroman
I would like to hear more about your personal relationship with the son of god and creator of the universe. What exactly does this mean? I have a personal relationship with my family. I can talk to them and they talk to me, audibly. I can ask what is their favorite color, and they can tell me. I can ask what their favorite song is and they can tell me. I can argue with them, and settle the dispute. I can hug and kiss them because I love them so much. I can take them out to eat, and to a movie. I can take them shopping and buy them clothes. Is it anything like that?
edit on 3-8-2011 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

I also have a personal relationship with God. I talk to him frequently, and although I don't hear audible replies, I feel heard. God is with me when I listen to my favorite song, or when I am out to eat, at a movie, or shopping. Because of that, I feel protected. And it's not like I feel like no harm can befall me, but more like I know that if anything bad does happen, God will be with me as I go through it. That's a peaceful feeling to have.

Amen

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join