It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should I go to Church?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
You should go to church.
How else are you going to network.
Gain contracts.
Gain employment.
Gain preference.
Assume superiority.
Crush other opinions.
Gain slaves.
Murder people. Gratis
Of course you should go where would we be today without it?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Church is a community.

Despite what others say, giving them money is an option. You don't HAVE to (I'm sure you know this)

You can meet some great people there that can turn into an incredible "personal support system".

I recommend it ♥ just take some of the teachings with caution (I'm sure you know this too)

I am neither religious or a regular church goer - I consider myself agnostic.

But I have gone in the past, and contrary to popular belief, not all of them are judgemental. If you find a lot of judgemental people there, simply go to another church.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Dont go to church, instead volunteer for a charity, it doesn't have to be an organised religious charity, but a Charity that benefits your community. The time spent doing charitable work will be far more beneficial than listening to the Preacher. WWJD? Would Jesus sit and listen to a preacher or would he be out helping in the community?
edit on 4-8-2011 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

only if you feel it, try it.

go low key and not winchester cathedral, sunday best and all that.

get into a smaller christian congregation, give what you can, if at all.

it's not too bad. meet some nice people.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
some of these churches have some kick ass music!

sorry, i am not blasphemous by saying that.

it can be very uplifting!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

not for anything but no one i know lives by that WWJD thing.

if i was jesus i would smite people with leprosy and cripple them, blind their butts too.

but i am not him. thank the lord!

i guess people should thank the lord, not me. lol!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
it all depends on the person, if you feel that you should go to church then go, but i dont think its mandatory.

i dont beleive in god myself, but the things i was told about god at school involved him being everywere at once, so does it really matter were you do your praying.
i think (and people may disagree) that churchs arent built to be a specific place of worship but to be a place were people who have the same beleives can go together and do the things they need to do in the same place at the same time, making it a more socialable experiance.

you may not like the comparison but if you drink at home alone, your sad, if you drink at a pub with friends, your fun (if your american, a pub is a bar lol)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
To praise the baby jeebus and give them your money.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Your question is ambiguous.

If your question is to gain any possible reason as to why one would go to church then I would say the best reason would be to meet like-minded people whom you can converse with about religion, faith, and God. A person who likes to play softball would join a softball league; a person who wants to discuss religion, faith, and God would go to church.

If your question is to understand a responsibility of going to church then you should seek answers from a scholar of your religion or religious texts of your faith. I'm no scholar on religions, but I think if you count talking to someone else about your faith as church, then the responsibility of spreading the word, the faith teachings, can be the responsibility of attending church that you seek. See: The Great Comission

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

many years ago, you went to church for survival reason.

if you didn't want the pope's army to kill you, you were either a catholic or became a protestant to protect yourself and your kids.
unless they wanted your kids to go kill Muslims.
or missionaries backing up european imperialism in enslaving the world.

i'm amazed at how many people from the caribbeans, africa, and south america know the role the pope and other european christian churches played in slavery.

also before social security, etc., the 10% you gave the church helped take care of widows, orphans, etc.

it was also a social club, i feel sorry for the elderly who miss the church they grew up in.
half the church buildings are for sale in this area, some are becoming buddhist temples or mosques.

i tried a variety of churches, now i prefer to do volunteer work for non profits.
i meet some very nice useful people, and nobody cares what faith, race, sex you belong to.
and you can meet your social and spiritual obligations by giving your time and cash to useful purpose.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Are you scared?
I guess the christian answer would be to share in fellowship with other Christians, and to further your learning of the word. Also, if you feel that people of your religion are getting the message twisted, you may want to preach the truth to them. Convert the scam into what you believe. I guess if your not scared, can share in fellowship and learn outside of church, and you have no desire to alter anyone's faith no matter how misguided they are then there is no reason.

Personally, my church is the world.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
this discussion is utterly bizarre, at least if you look at it from across the atlantic

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Church is a waste of time as is organized religion

***The is bad language in these videos....if your easily offended dont watch them***

edit on 4-8-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
"Because those ones are different. They travel to and fro, where they please, and avoid the dens of worship and corruption. They bear the alter and temple that is inside them."

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I asked a pastor the same exact question. Said I didn't believe in organized religion, said I felt content to worship my creator anywhere I wanted too...

He said to think of church like a BBQ grill, full of hot coals, all fired up together ready to cook that burger... then one falls out. What happens to the one that fall out? It cools off...

No. It didn't totally change my mind about it but I thought it was a good analogy.

Church isn't as important as surrounding yourself with friends, family, people who have the same beliefs, or same "fire" as you do.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
The church is your physical body.---again

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I am not of the christian faith in any way, and I, oddly enough, would love to go to a 'church' of people with similar views of reality to me, who loved to talk about our reality and science and just get together and do things that we, of like mind, find fascinating and fun and worthwhile.

(BTW, That is what I consider a church to be like. Perhaps I have this romantic view of it because I am not a christian and have been to a church maybe 4 or 5 times in my life?)

I personally would never even think about going to a traditional church, because it has nothing to do with my reality in any way and would just feel wrong, but I would love to find a church like the one you described in your OP, with the extreme singing and such. I have no problem with others having their faith as long as they don't get pushy or mean. Even though I don't believe in the bible or in christianity, I think I am open-minded enough to get something out of the experience psychologically (and I love to sing)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

You've got the right idea ! Your religion, whatever it happens to be, should not be about buildings, parting with money, or allowing others to dictate their particular interpretation of your chosen religion to you. One of the main problems with Christianity is that the Bible is largely open to interpretation by the individual, and Vicars / preachers, etc; who should know better will pick and choose and distort to suit their personal agendas, condemning any other interpretation of the Bible as false / misguided...

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

I want to ask you.....Why should you go to church every Sunday?

The only reason I can think of is for the fellowship of learning and having a network of people to help in their time of need.

When two or more are gathered in His name there is "church".

I love Jesus but will not go to Church..been there and done that. I have church with my kids and friends all the time.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
"Split a piece of wood; I am there. Lift up the stone, and you will find me ..."

It's all within.
Church isn't needed, unless you feel like socializing with the other church goers.

I myself, do not believe in the church, too much corruption, too much hypocrasy.

I completely agree. I don't have anything against someone, if they so choose, going to church. I think for some people it is even a necessity. Personally, I have never had a need to have some "ordained" individual to tell me what I should and shouldn't believe. I think I can handle that on my own.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join