It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should I go to Church?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Dear jibeho,

What good advice you gave.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

They need your money. You don't think religioin is free do you? There are staff to be taken care of, production costs and facilities to maintain. Basically religion is big business and MUST have your money. And would you mail it in? Not likely. You need to go when they summon you, and that is about once a week. Dig deep for that tithe.

Yes, you take your views on religion very seriusly, Others have equally serious views. You can't say, "Don't speak because I'm speaking here." That just doesn't work on ATS.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman

Maybe I can help you. I have a personal relationship with the Father and the Son. I don't call myself a Christian because many of those that do give Christ a bad name if they are saying they follow in his footsteps. I believe most of the reasons I don't attend a church have already been listed by many others.

Your question was to discribe what I mean by a personal relationship with the Creator. So I will give it a try. I hope I help you. I talk to God and his Son a whole lot. Do they speak back? Why yes they do. In the bible Jesus says let them that have ears to hear, hear, Eyes to see, see. The problem most people have is they don't listen, they don't see and they take everything for granted that happens in their life.

I'm not saying that on those days that I'm just rambling on when I talk to the Father and the Son that a voice out of sky says "Why yes Napayshni it is terribly hot today" But I do know when I have something heavy on my heart or I need some help desperately it comes. I know when my heart has been full of pain and hurt and I'm talking to God a sense of peace will come over me. Not just a it's gonna be okay kind of thing but an overwhelming sense of peace. I never forget to say thank you. Even if it's be getting to help someone else out. I thank God for bringing my path to cross theirs. I don't believe in coincidence or random chance. I've learned you look at the big picture not just say "wow what are the odds of that happening when I needed help" and brush it off. If people learn to notice when and how God can speak to you in all of the many different ways then they to can say that God speaks to them and answers them.

God does answer you just have to learn the language. Just like a deaf person speaks but not with words from their mouth. You have to learn a new way of communicating with them. The same goes for God he has many different ways.

Hope I've helped you.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

If I ask her to do something for me, generally she will
That's weird, my wife is like god. She doesn't do what I ask.

When I ask God for help with something, that's where Faith comes in, that He will handle it for me. I have to trust that He will, because I believe that He will. If it doesn't happen, then He didn't see fit for it to happen. His reasoning goes way beyond what I can understand.
Or could it just be that it didn't happen because there was no one there trying to do anything about it? I mean, if he doesn't want to do something, why doesn't he tell you "no" so that you're not sitting and waiting and praying, etc.? Instead, you have to wait and play the guessing game.

If you are on the fence, I suggest you research NDE's (near death experiences)...some very interesting testimony out there.
I have, and some can be explained as the production of dmt in the brain as it struggles to survive. Dmt causes hallucinations, which is why we have visions in our dreams. Some just don't make sense or line up with the bible. Such as people of other belief systems having NDE and seeing their gods.

edit on 3-8-2011 by Hydroman because: fixing quote

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by napayshni57

I've made a thread on this. Post there and I will reply, though I may have already answered it in my OP.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

I never said "don't speak", just that I wouldn't address attacks on Christianity. I can set whatever ground rules I want in my thread, but it doesn't mean they will be followed

Thanks for your response.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman
reply to post by napayshni57

I've made a thread on this. Post there and I will reply, though I may have already answered it in my OP.

Heck go ahead and link it, here it is www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'll be over there too

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Firstly, it is important for me to point out I am not Christian in any sense of the word.

However, to answer the OP, this depends on the version of Christianity you adhere to. Clearly, if you belong to a highly personalised form of it, you may find difficulty finding large groups who see things as you do; and thus may not want to surround yourself with others who see things quite differently.

But the more traditional your form of Christianity, the less you will be able to rely on personal means to express it. This is especially true of traditions which have a form of the Eucharist, and a significant need for priests.

For me, the question is this: if I follow a religion which is greatly based on my own opinions and personal interpretations, do I have a real need to go into mainstream churches and interact therein? Obviously, the answer here is 'no'.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I didn't understand the point in going to church because why bother sitting in the building of a man made religion in the name of prayer?

In fact, I almost crapped my pants in 2003 when WWE repackaged one of my fave wrestlers in a devil's advocate gimmick and said that same thing:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
You asked why you should go to church -- can not speak for you. I go to church to:

feel embraced
be part of the bigger picture
renewal
peace
acceptance
forgiveness
recharged and time-out
etc.

Yes, I know I don't need to attend service to feel in touch with God, but it does help me focus.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
There are hundreds of different churches and and other religious groups. There is a good chance you might enjoy joining one or more of them and find them meaningful. There is also a good chance you may dislike all of them. Being a member or not being a member of a church or religious group says nothing of the quality of your character.

If you have any interest in attending a church, mosque, temple, synagoue, etc. the hard part would be narrowing down the available options to explore. You simply do not have enough time to sample every religion.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

No need to go to church unless you feel like you should spiritualy, or should learn more about Christ in another light., only to those who believe or are raised into the church. Get with it, THe church is your body. The body is the Church. Your Physical Body is a church. Religions will never understand this. This is truth
edit on 3-8-2011 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Can you imagine asking this question of Russian Christians in the 1930's? How about we ask Christians in the underground church in China? Iran, Indonesia, Egypt, Africa, Pakistan...etc?

In this land of religious liberty perhaps we should go to church while we can, because we can.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Wherever two or more of you are gathered...there I am.
If that has been interpreted as a church, specifically...then, there is an interpretation issue.
Akushla

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I'd rather watch football. Seriously, churches should have altered their schedule around NFL sundays, ever since HD was invented. Nothing can compete with the NFL on sunday mornings.

If you really want, you can get your hourly church service on your tv. I see religious programs on tv all the time on sunday. Might even be able to do it on your iphone. Why not?

The Catholic Church came out with an iphone app for confession. Guess you could do it during your morning constitutional. Multi-task.

edit on 4-8-2011 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

A pleasure to meet another follower of the truth.

There are many reasons why you should not go to church, as you know.

I needed to star and flag you for Jesus.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
IMO anybody of any religion can go to any church, synagogue, mosque, etc. and be accepted. We are all praising the same higher power, known by many different names. The main objective of those places is the most important and the most forgotten aspect. They are places of worship. Places to give thanks to the creator, the higher power, Allah, God, etc. Praising the Lord and giving thanks is the purpose of these places and the focus has been taken off of that.
Holla if ya hear me

edit on 4-8-2011 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
The main question is, Why should I go to Church?

Nobody is telling you that you have to go to church.....

You can go to the pub, the shops, the bookmakers, anywhere.............it's your choice, your life........

Do what you like to do, but if church is not where you wanna go, then don't, because that would be a pointless exercise........

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
One of the big benefits I remember as a kid from going to church is being a part of a community. You have a large community of people to get behind you if you need them. It is good to have friends and people that you see every week. It is good to be part of a group of like-minded people.

It is interesting though, that you noticed that it all seems to be a money making scam. But yet, you still buy into all of the jesus/god nonsense. They are one of the oldest and biggest conspiracies out there. Anyway, I can't knock the being a part of something aspect of it all, that was the main advantage I see.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Religion is the most twisted chinese whisper ever told, Buddha, Mohammed and Jesus were star children that brought forth a message of peace and love.
Denominations of churches both Christian and Muslim threw in there own spin and ideologies and tried to control the masses of people to benefit there own needs.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join