It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should I go to Church?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Where two or more are gathered, He is there. Where His Spirit leads you, that is where you should go. Not what man says or what a book tells you. Always follow the lead of the Holy Spirit, where ever that may lead you. For some people that is a church, for other's it is something different. But, always read His Word and pray. Allow Him to direct you where He needs you.
edit on 3-8-2011 by Egyptia because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-8-2011 by Egyptia because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

Dear GeorgiaGirl,

Hydroman is a troll who has nothing better to do then to look for threads where someone is discussing Christianity and then attempt to ridicule them and their beliefs. Why do they do such things, it is simple, somewhere inside they know they are wrong. They do not the truth because they have not heard it, they have only heard the wild rambling of fanatics and seek to paint us all under the same umbrella. Shake the dust off your feet when you meet them and leave them behind. Be well.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
You don't have to attend church...

Church is where ever you want it because the Church is the people that make up the body of Christ.

The church is not a building or group... it is a joining of believers that share their faith, their weaknesses and struggles, they build each other up, and as a team they are able to pool their resources to help others.

In the Bible, the Church met in homes, over meals, or out in parks.... attending an organized "church" is not necessary.... meeting and celebrating and supporting fellow believers is important.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear GeorgiaGirl,

Hydroman is a troll who has nothing better to do then to look for threads where someone is discussing Christianity and then attempt to ridicule them and their beliefs. Why do they do such things, it is simple, somewhere inside they know they are wrong. They do not the truth because they have not heard it, they have only heard the wild rambling of fanatics and seek to paint us all under the same umbrella. Shake the dust off your feet when you meet them and leave them behind. Be well.
Dear AQuestion, is that what I truly am? I am in search for truth. I want to find out why you believe what you believe, and to see if it is something worth believing in. I want to believe in what is real. There are hundreds of beliefs out there, are any of them true? This is what I want to know. You claimed to have a personal relationship with the creator of the universe. I want to know what that means. I hear that claim all the time, but in the end it doesn't seem to be a personal relationship of any kind. If that makes me a troll, I guess I need to find a bridge.

You are right though, after living as a christian for 20 + years, I feel like I did not have the truth.
edit on 3-8-2011 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
When the missionaries arrived in Hawaii, the Hawaiian people were happy to hear about this wonderful person, who died for them, Jesus. They were ready to accept that they were sinners that Jesus could save them from the fires of hell, (they were aware of volcanoes). They were naively ready to change their ways, to accomodate this wonderful news.

When, the first timbers were laid for the Christain church. the Hawaiians balked. Why do you built walls to keep all that is God out, they asked? You keep out the sun, the clouds and sky, the wind and sound of the sea. You keep out the trees and the song of the birds. Why would God enter such an ugly square structure?

Jay Stevens, who wrote the book "Storming Heaven," in which he documents the '___' experience, recounts an incident in London. He says that he was enjoying a psychodelic high and felt the desire to enter a cathedral. Upon entering, he was struck by the sudden absense of God he expereinced immediately upon entering. It was empty of spirit and full of obvious lies, in his oppinion.

My best impression of a church meeting would be the feeling of humdreds of people rejoicing, on the same mental and spiritual page, similar to experience of the group emotion of a rock concert. My worst, is a bunch of judgemental, greedy, gossipy, narrowminded crones, and their lawyer/politician husbands. That is my experience with going to church.

Just a side note. When I was a kid, my Sunday School class was taught by our preacher, Brother Bibler (I kid you not). When he announced, to my small class, that Simon and Garfunkle were going to hell because of Rock and Roll, I argued. My preacher kicked me out of his class, and my Mom made me sit outside on the steps, alone, every Sunday morning, till I was too old for his class.

edit on 3-8-2011 by windword because: spelling

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman

Dear Hydroman,

You state that I discussed my personal relationship with God, please show me where I did. Oh, that's right, I didn't. I also did not say you were searching for God, I said deep down you knew you didn't have the answer. I shall respond to what you did do, you baited the OP, GeorgiaGirl responded about her beliefs and I waited to watch you say exactly what you did. In your true search you ridiculed her by using Santa Claus. If you were truly searching you would not have done that, you would not have been negative, you would have asked her to explain her relationship more. Lying about it is pointless, anyone can read the progression on the thread and see for themselves.

If you truly wanted to know why people believe, you would ask serious questions. You fear is that you might get serious answers so you ridicule to avoid a deeper discussion. Personally, I don't waste my time trying to find converts, that is not our job. The OP did not seek to prove or disprove God, he asked about attending church and you are off topic because you just want to disprove religion. If you are looking for proof, why did you pick this thread? The answer is self evident. Be well.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Dear windword,

I am sorry for your experience with a "church" that you told. I have heard it many times; but, be of good cheer. You see it says that the Shepherds will be held accountable for how they led their flock and the penalties are steep indeed. There are many pastors today who do what people accuse them off, they are after just money and fame and will tell people whatever they want to hear. Why is this surprising when the bible says that this will occur and that there will be a great falling away from the church. Christianity is the only religion that tells of its own rise and downfall, what is really fascinating is that the downfall begins right after the word has been preached to all edges of the earth. Pretty good prediction for two thousand years ago.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I would recommend the short movie call Selling God. As a spiritual person, I found it quite amusing.

It is available on Netflix streaming

Here is a preview

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Dear Hydroman,

You state that I discussed my personal relationship with God, please show me where I did. Oh, that's right, I didn't. I also did not say you were searching for God, I said deep down you knew you didn't have the answer. I shall respond to what you did do, you baited the OP, GeorgiaGirl responded about her beliefs and I waited to watch you say exactly what you did. In your true search you ridiculed her by using Santa Claus. If you were truly searching you would not have done that, you would not have been negative, you would have asked her to explain her relationship more. Lying about it is pointless, anyone can read the progression on the thread and see for themselves.

If you truly wanted to know why people believe, you would ask serious questions. You fear is that you might get serious answers so you ridicule to avoid a deeper discussion. Personally, I don't waste my time trying to find converts, that is not our job. The OP did not seek to prove or disprove God, he asked about attending church and you are off topic because you just want to disprove religion. If you are looking for proof, why did you pick this thread? The answer is self evident. Be well.

Dearest AQuestion, I apologize for saying that you said you had a personal relationship with a god. I thought you were the OP, but I went back and looked and saw that it is the member named signals.

I admit that I do not have the answer, and that isn't even deep down, that's right on top.

Did I ridicule her when I used the Santa Claus analogy? If you say so. I thought it was a valid point. I also stated that Hindus, Muslims, etc. can have the same relationship with their gods. I guess I don't know how to make a point without ridiculing someone....

So, please explain this relationship more if you don't mind Georgiagirl.

I thought that I asked a serious question. I asked about a personal relationship with the creator of the universe. If that isn't serious, I suppose I don't know what is. How does one go about getting truth when they are attacked and name called for asking questions? Is it the way I asked the question? If so, can you direct me in the way I should ask questions so I don't hurt people's feelings?

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Hydroman explained his previous posts, it's not fair to make those assumptions IMO, I understand where he/she is coming from.

The relationship cannot be explained because Humans only understand relationships with other Humans...and obviously God isn't Human.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

reply to post by Signals

Dear Signals,

I want to begin by explaining what the word church meant, it was not a building, it was not a dogma and it was not a place at all. The church is the body of believers, you as a believer are already a part of THE church. The Testament says that where two or more are gathered in my name, there I am also. That is a congregation or a meeting of believers. When you meet with other believers to discuss God, you are in church with the congregation.

Not exactly.
What it really means is where two or more people who have gone through a true spiritual
conversion meet they Commune with each other on a spiritual level of sacrifice not the ordinary
level of separation. It can be any spiritual people, even a Christian , a Jew , a Hindu, a Buddhist
getting together. Anyone with an intuitive feeling of oneness with the divine.
IT HAS ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with belief. It is all about divine or spiritual communion.

Getting together with spiritual people is to share communion and relationship.
Getting together with religious people is to share brainwashing and self hypnosis.

Unfortunately the two are usually commingled.
edit on 3-8-2011 by RRokkyy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Dear Hydroman,

You skipped the last part, this is not the proper thread, this thread is about why one should attend church. Why don't you start a thread saying what you do believe and than others why they believe in Christianity or any other religion? That is a good way to ask the question. Heck, if you did then I might actually discuss why I believe and what I believe; but, beware my questions as they will be to you.
edit on 3-8-2011 by AQuestion because: left out a word

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

Hydroman explained his previous posts, it's not fair to make those assumptions IMO, I understand where he/she is coming from.
Well...I'm not hydrowoman.
Thank you for this response.

Originally posted by Signals
The relationship cannot be explained because Humans only understand relationships with other Humans...and obviously God isn't Human.
If humans only understand relationships with other humans, how do you understand that you have a relationship with the creator of the universe, especially since you can't explain it? How is an unbeliever supposed to believe that?
edit on 3-8-2011 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
When I was younger and working as a waitress at a high end restaurant, the owner would allow us to sit at the bar, after closing, for a free drink. After that, they were 50% off. We would sit there and laugh and cry, and tell everybody about our sorrows and boast of our winnings. We called it "church."

We would ask each other, "Are you going to church tonight?" "Yea, you betcha, I have a lot to confess!"

HAHA

edit on 3-8-2011 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Dear Hydroman,

You skipped the last part, this is not the proper thread, this thread is about why one should attend church. Why don't you start a thread saying what you do believe and than others why they believe in Christianity or any other religion? That is a good way to ask the question. Heck, if you did then I might actually discuss why I believe and what I believe; but, beware my questions as they will be to you.
edit on 3-8-2011 by AQuestion because: left out a word
You do have a point. I just responded to the other posts about their relationship with the creator of the universe, but that isn't the main topic. I will make a new thread about relationships with creators of universes.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by RRokkyy

Dear RRokkyy,

"Not exactly.
What it really means is where two or more people who have gone through a true spiritual
conversion meet they Commune with each other on a spiritual level of sacrifice not the ordinary
level of separation. It can be any spiritual people, even a Christian , a Jew , a Hindu, a Buddhist
getting together. Anyone with an intuitive feeling of oneness with the divine.
IT HAS ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with belief. It is all about divine or spiritual communion"

The quote is from Matthew 18:20 "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." The requirement is to be gathered together in God's name, not be of a like spiritual awareness. Secondly, this requirement is what defines the church, the body of believers, not the body of disbelievers. It is good that people of a like mind meet; but, that is not what the bible discussing, it was talking about the God of Christianity. Be well.
edit on 3-8-2011 by AQuestion because: darn quote function

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Perhaps it is in the term "relationship" that is difficult to explain. I don't have the kind of relationship with Him that I have with my wife, for example. If I ask her to do something for me, generally she will

When I ask God for help with something, that's where Faith comes in, that He will handle it for me. I have to trust that He will, because I believe that He will. If it doesn't happen, then He didn't see fit for it to happen. His reasoning goes way beyond what I can understand.

If you are on the fence, I suggest you research NDE's (near death experiences)...some very interesting testimony out there.

But, as other Members have pointed out, I am more interested in finding out why I "need" to go to Church...Is it some kind of built-in Christian guilt because I don't go? That is why I wrote this thread.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Dear Hydroman,

Please U2U me if you do and I will participate in the discussion if you wish.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I never liked going to church! The people always felt so fake to me. Especially at that moment in the service when the pastor or whoever asks you to greet the person next to you, behind you, in front of you and you all shake hands and....blah. Never liked it. Never will. I have a personal relationship with God. No one else needs to know really.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

You can have a personal relationship with God without going to church. If its the fellowship that you seek, perhaps you can find an independent bible study group that meets apart from a formal church.

The rise of the cash rich mega churches is a little alarming to me. Pastors wearing Rolexes, diamonds and driving a Benz doesn't sit very well with me. Not even mentioning what their wives are wearing and driving.

Keep your faith!! No one can take that away from you. It defines you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join