It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should I go to Church?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I would like to thank a brand new member for inspiring me to write this thread.

I am looking for serious responses, and will not respond to any attacks or ridicule on Christianity...

Why should I go to Church?

A little background - I was raised Methodist early, but spent my early/late teens attending a non-denominational Church, called "The Living Word". It was way different than Methodist, as it was more about singing, we had a band complete with electric guitars, people getting Slain in the Spirit, Speaking in Tongues, etc...

I consider myself a Christian because I believe God sent his Son, Jesus, here to convey a Message, a message of peace and love for fellow man. I also believe Jesus died on the cross to save us from our sins, because Humans just can't help but sin like crazy. I have accepted him in my heart as my Savior. I believe there is a Heaven and I believe I will be let in because of this. I also think that, if there is ET life out there, God created them too. ( I only add this for the inevitable poke at my avatar)

Obviously this is a very wicked and evil world that, for the most part, does not follow his message.

I also understand that many people have twisted Christianity, like other religions, to bring death and destruction on this world.

I have a personal relationship with Jesus and God, I don't understand the need for organized religion - ie. "Church".

It seems like a big money scam to me, always has.

Why should I go to Church every Sunday, somebody help me out with this....

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

personally I don't see a point in going to church every sunday...I go once every year on christmas just because the church has a nice group of people and they do fun stuff...they don't exactly "preach" which is what I like because it gives a more open view of christian fundamentals...

Nobody should be pressured to believe and if you don't feel like going to church...then you shouldn't be pressured into it...

mind you that I don't exactly believe in much of what many christians will spout out about how if you don't believe you're a sinner and going to hell and blah blah...i believe only in kindness and helping those who need it...something that is amiss in politics for a long while...
edit on 3-8-2011 by here4awhile because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I am a Christian that is struggling with this same thoughts.

Here is an interesting website:bible-truths.com... The guy says some things that are pretty radical and outside of the teachings we've all heard. However, it seems to be biblical. Take a look and tell me what you think.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I also wanted to add, that many of the things you are struggling with are addressed on his website.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
never go to church or give em a buck all i ever herd was im reading the translated reversion and not the won in the piews in the back slot just save that dollar and buy a berger

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Don't you know why?

They need your money....

Silly...

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
"Split a piece of wood; I am there. Lift up the stone, and you will find me ..."

It's all within.
Church isn't needed, unless you feel like socializing with the other church goers.

I myself, do not believe in the church, too much corruption, too much hypocrasy.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
You shouldn't. Religion is a spiritual prison that is very hard to break out of.

You can't get closer to God by going into a building and giving people money. That's what banks are for.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl
I am a Christian that is struggling with this same thoughts.

Here is an interesting website:bible-truths.com... The guy says some things that are pretty radical and outside of the teachings we've all heard. However, it seems to be biblical. Take a look and tell me what you think.

At first glance that appears to be a very interesting site, I will need some time to read through it.

Thanks so much for posting!!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Sadly, most churches today are corrupt government agencies. They will preach anything just to fill the pews, which in turn fills their pockets with tax-free money. They couldn't care less about leading people to salvation, and they have lead millions to believe that they will go to Heaven because they go to church on Sunday and listen to what this so-called "man of God" is teaching them. Here is an excellent web page that teaches how the churches are government agencies, and how it pertains to these end days.

www.remnantofgod.org...

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I don't go to church. My church goes with me. My church is wherever I happen to be. I am always at church.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I would like to hear more about your personal relationship with the son of god and creator of the universe. What exactly does this mean? I have a personal relationship with my family. I can talk to them and they talk to me, audibly. I can ask what is their favorite color, and they can tell me. I can ask what their favorite song is and they can tell me. I can argue with them, and settle the dispute. I can hug and kiss them because I love them so much. I can take them out to eat, and to a movie. I can take them shopping and buy them clothes. Is it anything like that?
edit on 3-8-2011 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman
I would like to hear more about your personal relationship with the son of god and creator of the universe. What exactly does this mean?

I'm not sure what there is to explain, you can't explain Faith....

I believe there must be a Creator, because there is no way we were randomly put here.

I believe Jesus was real, and was put here by God to spread his Message. You can speak to Him through prayer. Sometimes it is answered through deeds and actions, sometimes it is not.
edit on 3-8-2011 by Signals because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Same boat here.
I'll be watching the replies with you.

Thank you for your post!
You're not alone!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I used to be pretty familiar with the Bible, I have read it cover-to-cover once, it was a very difficult read like that.

Can anyone point me towards scripture pertaining to church attendance?

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Dear Signals,

I want to begin by explaining what the word church meant, it was not a building, it was not a dogma and it was not a place at all. The church is the body of believers, you as a believer are already a part of THE church. The Testament says that where two or more are gathered in my name, there I am also. That is a congregation or a meeting of believers. When you meet with other believers to discuss God, you are in church with the congregation.

The reason we are supposed to meet with other believers is to check ourselves and uphold one another. The early church congregated in houses and shared amongst each other; but, this is not a requirement. As for money, that goes towards paying a worker his due. If one did not like to attend a denominational church, it would not free them from their responsibility to be good stewards and help those in need. I do not attend weekly services and find there are few preachers that have much to offer anymore (I regret to say); however I do give to charity and those in need on a daily basis and fellowship with other Christians very regularly to discuss Christ and God and the bible.

Be well.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman
I would like to hear more about your personal relationship with the son of god and creator of the universe. What exactly does this mean? I have a personal relationship with my family. I can talk to them and they talk to me, audibly. I can ask what is their favorite color, and they can tell me. I can ask what their favorite song is and they can tell me. I can argue with them, and settle the dispute. I can hug and kiss them because I love them so much. I can take them out to eat, and to a movie. I can take them shopping and buy them clothes. Is it anything like that?

I also have a personal relationship with God. I talk to him frequently, and although I don't hear audible replies, I feel heard. God is with me when I listen to my favorite song, or when I am out to eat, at a movie, or shopping. Because of that, I feel protected. And it's not like I feel like no harm can befall me, but more like I know that if anything bad does happen, God will be with me as I go through it. That's a peaceful feeling to have.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
reply to post by Signals

Dear Signals,

I want to begin by explaining what the word church meant, it was not a building, it was not a dogma and it was not a place at all. The church is the body of believers, you as a believer are already a part of THE church. The Testament says that where two or more are gathered in my name, there I am also. That is a congregation or a meeting of believers. When you meet with other believers to discuss God, you are in church with the congregation.

The reason we are supposed to meet with other believers is to check ourselves and uphold one another. The early church congregated in houses and shared amongst each other; but, this is not a requirement. As for money, that goes towards paying a worker his due. If one did not like to attend a denominational church, it would not free them from their responsibility to be good stewards and help those in need. I do not attend weekly services and find there are few preachers that have much to offer anymore (I regret to say); however I do give to charity and those in need on a daily basis and fellowship with other Christians very regularly to discuss Christ and God and the bible.

Be well.

Amen! That is absolute truth, every bit of it.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl

I also have a personal relationship with God. I talk to him frequently, and although I don't hear audible replies, I feel heard. God is with me when I listen to my favorite song, or when I am out to eat, at a movie, or shopping. Because of that, I feel protected. And it's not like I feel like no harm can befall me, but more like I know that if anything bad does happen, God will be with me as I go through it. That's a peaceful feeling to have.
In that case, I had a personal relationship with Santa Claus when I was a child. He was watching me all the time when I was a kid to see if I was good or bad. I felt heard when I made my christmas wish list. I knew he was real because there were songs and stories about him.

How does "feeling" and "faith" show that you have a personal relationship with someone? Maybe you and I have different definitions of a personal relationship? I mean, with your definition, Muslims can have a personal relationship with Allah, and Hindus can have a personal relationship with their gods, and so on.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I would have to say that attending church is not mandatory for salvation, but you should want to partake of communion, as well as spend time in Christian fellowship. Many Christians throughout the ages have not been able to attend church for various reasons, an example being due to some form of exile or persecution such as John of Patamos, and it certainly wouldn’t effect their salvation in any way.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join