It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just a Heads up: NASA Announces News Briefing on Mars Orbiter Science Finding

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I misunderstood, and now it could be something like a discovered vast ancient lava tube network showing up on the gravity readings, indicating possible tectonic activity yet still today.

This thing is not equipped to discover life per say, it is equipped to indicate possible mineral and geological signatures that could effect the gravity because water/ice is much lighter than rock.
edit on 3-8-2011 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by wavemaker
NASA would probably say that Mars once had volcanoes on it surface. What I would like to hear NASA say is that Mars left some ruins on its surface. A proof that it's surface was once inhabited by intelligent life.

Cheez.....we KNOW mars had volcanoes. What do you think Olympus Mons is? You can even see the lava streaks. Its known fact.

Olympus Mons (Latin for Mount Olympus) is a large volcanic mountain on the planet Mars. At an estimated height of between 21 and 29 km (69,000-95,000 ft), it is roughly three times as tall as Mount Everest and is the tallest known mountain in the Solar System.[2] Olympus Mons is the youngest of the large volcanoes on Mars, having formed during Mars' Amazonian Period. Olympus Mons had been known to astronomers since the late 19th century as the albedo feature Nix Olympica (Latin for "Snows of Olympus"). Its mountainous nature was suspected well before space probes confirmed its identity as a mountain.[3] The volcano is located in Mars' western hemisphere at approximately 18.4°N 226°E,[1] just off the northwestern edge of the Tharsis bulge

edit on 3-8-2011 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blister
Out of interest, the MRO website states that Lisa Pratt, biogeochemist, Indiana University, Bloomington will be on the panel. Her webpage can be found at:

geology.indiana.edu...

Research Interests

- Geomicrobiology of sulfate-reducing microorganisms

- Biotic and abiotic fractionation of sulfur isotopes in modern and ancient oceans and lakes

- Influence of wildfire on carbon isotopic excursions during the Cretaceous

- Fate of complex organic molecules on the surface of Mars

Maybe there are some hints as to the direction of the briefing...

yes this caught my eye too!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Dear spacedoubt

My guess is a theory about the methane that is released during the Martian summer I think.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

If it's the methane thing it can be also caused by inorganic natural geologic pressures, not necessarily life or past life. May only indicate deep tectonic activity, a not solid state dead planet but one with molted rock under a thick crust, with vents.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I'm not expecting any announcement about the discovery of life. Even if NASA would disclose something like that, the Mars Science Lab is set to launch at the end of the year/beginning of next year? to see if Mars "Is or ever was habitable to life". Announcing that they had already found life there would undermine the enthusiasm behind that mission and kind of make it look like a total waste (even though it wouldn't be).

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by paperface
Well many space related forums are saying this is about An area of Mars where Very Bright lights appear,maybe they discovered who or what is operating them?

Can you send me links to what your talking about. I've never heard of bright lights on mars.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
They are the head lights of a old 57 Chevy truck, stuck on a hill someone took a wrong turn and ended up there.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
i'm going to guess something to do with either : methane, or water.

either one will be interesting, but hardly amazing to most people. if it's methane it'll probably be along the lines of "wow there's so much, but we're not sure where it's coming from" if it's water it'll be along the lines of " whoa we found a lot more water frozen under the surface"

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
They'll say they finally found Jimmy Hoffa

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Thank you for the news that there will be news tomorrow.

I was going to say that I bet they found microbial/bacterial life but then I realized it was a conference over the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. What could it be....hopefully something they took an image of.

Maybe water actually flowing visibly on the surface? Evidence of previous civilization?
edit on 4-8-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Maybe they have found the mistery of the METHANE?

edit on 4-8-2011 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

They already discovered that in 2003:
Click me:

"Methane is quickly destroyed in the Martian atmosphere in a variety of ways, so our discovery of substantial plumes of methane in the northern hemisphere of Mars in 2003 indicates some ongoing process is releasing the gas," said Dr. Michael Mumma of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. "At northern mid-summer, methane is released at a rate comparable to that of the massive hydrocarbon seep at Coal Oil Point in Santa Barbara, Calif."

Wait or was your post referring to the cause of the methane?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
"Sand particles finer than first thought".... or something like that.

Or something atmospheric.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
reply to post by Arken

They already discovered that in 2003:
Click me:

"Methane is quickly destroyed in the Martian atmosphere in a variety of ways, so our discovery of substantial plumes of methane in the northern hemisphere of Mars in 2003 indicates some ongoing process is releasing the gas," said Dr. Michael Mumma of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. "At northern mid-summer, methane is released at a rate comparable to that of the massive hydrocarbon seep at Coal Oil Point in Santa Barbara, Calif."

Wait or was your post referring to the cause of the methane?

YES: THE MISTERIOUS SOURCE OF THIS HUGE AMOUNT OF METHANE IN MARTIAN ATMOSPHERE.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

YES: THE MISTERIOUS SOURCE OF THIS HUGE AMOUNT OF METHANE IN MARTIAN ATMOSPHERE.
My bad, I don't know why I thought you meant the discovery of methane when I read your post....

The two causes that I've heard of are some form of life that puts out methane, or some rocks that release methane. I would guess rocks, because it's typically during the summer, so maybe when they heat up some checmical reactions happen or something.

But who knows, maybe some weird brine shrimp or bacterial life form evolved to the point that it can hibernate and then wake up enjoy the ice that melts to water in the summer.

That would be cool if they figured it out, I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
As much as I would love it to be "we at NASA have discovered a planet where Apes evolved from MAN!"...

...it will likely be more like concrete proof of micro-biologic past Martian life in rocks as detected by carbon present in samples.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
"Today, we at NASA would like to state that it's been alot of fun and many a lulz has been had watching you suckers....er..ahem...ATS members find faces, trees, and bases in our crumby mars photos."

"And also that, .... although we know you guys would like us to take your bazillions of dollars in tax money and actually land at interesting sites like the poles, we just simply really love dirt and rocks too much. So we will send our next mission to some very boring crater, and then photoshop the landscape and atmosphere a stark red because we at NASA are Total Recall fans first and foremost."

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blister
Out of interest, the MRO website states that Lisa Pratt, biogeochemist, Indiana University, Bloomington will be on the panel. Her webpage can be found at:

geology.indiana.edu...

Research Interests

- Geomicrobiology of sulfate-reducing microorganisms

- Biotic and abiotic fractionation of sulfur isotopes in modern and ancient oceans and lakes

- Influence of wildfire on carbon isotopic excursions during the Cretaceous

- Fate of complex organic molecules on the surface of Mars

Maybe there are some hints as to the direction of the briefing...

Hey you did some actual research!

My guess - something to do with mineralogy. They have a very nice spectrometer on MRO called CRISM that can detect lots of different mineral species. Sorry folks, but real knowledge does not fall into your lap and takes lots of time and much hard work.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

And she is the principal investigator of a new three-year, $2.4 million NASA grant to study microbial life at the edge of Greenland's receding ice sheet. She and her colleagues hope that by identifying patterns of methane production there will provide crucial context for analyzing methane plumes on Mars. As the hypothesis goes, if microorganisms leave an identifiable signature within methane plumes on Earth, then the identification of similar signatures within Martian methane plumes would be tantalizing indeed.

IU News May17th 2011

Interesting

The event will also be streamed, with a live chat available, at

NasaTv

or

Ustream Nasa
edit on 8/4/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join